Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Emoni Bates Arrested

https://t.co/06peMVIPLP

Emoni Bates is in the Washtenaw (Mich.) County Jail, it confirmed Monday to 247Sports' Chris Hummer. Details behind the Eastern Michigan basketball forward's detainment were not disclosed by the jail to Hummer.

WXYZ Channel 7 in Detroit reported Monday, citing the Washtenaw County Sheriff's Office, that deputies in Superior Charter Township, Michigan, pulled Bates over Sunday night after he did not stop at an intersection.

A firearm was discovered during a search and authorities took Bates into custody, the sheriff's office said, according to WXYZ Channel 7.
    Man what series of events & poor choices have led to this young man being in this position? It is a sorry state of affairs to see a kid's dreams go poof in a cloud of smoke. I'm not condoning/excusing his behavior here at all; it is just flabbergasting the course his life has taken over the last few years.

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post
    https://t.co/06peMVIPLP

Man what series of events & poor choices have led to this young man being in this position? It is a sorry state of affairs to see a kid's dreams go poof in a cloud of smoke. I'm not condoning/excusing his behavior here at all; it is just flabbergasting the course his life has taken over the last few years.
    Bad parenting, just looking to cash in, IMO.

Comment

Don't convict the kid yet. There's been enough of that around here recently.

May not have been his car. May not have been his gun.

I certainly agree with Jazz on the grift. And the kid is making poor choices. Still, the most serious charges are in doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
        Don't convict the kid yet. There's been enough of that around here recently.

May not have been his car. May not have been his gun.

I certainly agree with Jazz on the grift. And the kid is making poor choices. Still, the most serious charges are in doubt.
        His dad et al actually created a new high school just for him. The Balls are the new paradigm for too many stage BB dads. Sad.

Comment

Prefer to let this play out when more facts are known. Kinda of early to draw any definite conclusions on guilt or innocence. Not all of us share the same opportunities for good advice in life.

Comment

No, now is a perfect time. Chickens are roosting.

https://orangefizz.net/2022/02/did-e...of-the-decade/

Pat Forde of Sports Illustrated explained it like this two days ago: “(Emoni) was a prodigy rushed ahead by reclassification, painfully thin and painfully young. His father Elgin had coached him on a pop-up prep school team called Ypsi Prep, affiliated with Aim High Academy. The whole thing was created as a vehicle to showcase Bates, a ridiculous premise that has become accepted as a common outgrowth of modern youth basketball.”

Watching the dealer turn over the deck of cards, it’s not hard to see a pattern. The people around him, namely his father, allowed the circus tent to topple over on his son.

Comment

Perhaps, or the SI writer is selling newspapers.

Comment

Originally posted by daskim View Post
                Perhaps, or the SI writer is selling newspapers.
                I don't agree with Jazz on a lot of things, but while I am willing to wait on the facts of the gun issue, I do agree with Jazz that Elgin is on par or worse than Levar Ball and is damaging his son and his son's future. Really sad, IMHO.
                "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

I don't think many people will disagree that this kid was horribly mishandled, mostly by his father.

That is entirely separate from Emoni's guilt or innocence concerning the charges he's facing from this arrest.

What I will concede is this kid, along with many talented athletes, may continually push the envelope of bad behavior because he has never been held accountable.

Comment

I don't think many people will disagree that this kid was horribly mishandled, mostly by his father.

That is entirely separate from Emoni's guilt or innocence concerning the charges he's facing from this arrest.

What I will concede is this kid, along with many talented athletes, may continually push the envelope of bad behavior because he has never been held accountable.
                    Disagree, Mark. It's a behavioral continuum, one set in motion by his elders, not him. As Guyland says, sad.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post

Disagree, Mark. It's a behavioral continuum, one set in motion by his elders, not him. As Guyland says, sad.
                      Not sure what you are disagreeing with.

Do you believe, without a doubt, that the gun was his? That's the part where I think we need to reserve judgment. I wouldn't be surprised either way, but to make that leap is premature.

That rush to condemn was featured in a thread a couple weeks ago. And nobody has had the guts to apologize for their hasty accusations. This story has the same potential.

Comment

Looks like the charges relate to tampering with the gun's serial number, which would suggest it's stolen. Unfortunately, someone should've told him he can walk into a gun shop, show ID, and buy one lawfully. Too bad... Looking forward to him getting this resolved and getting back on the court.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ar-was-driving
                        Originally posted by Reborn
                        Go Zags!!!
                        Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post

I don't agree with Jazz on a lot of things, but while I am willing to wait on the facts of the gun issue, I do agree with Jazz that Elgin is on par or worse than Levar Ball and is damaging his son and his son's future. Really sad, IMHO.
                          His father certainly takes that title. No argument from me on that. Joins a long history of some athletes, many of them great, that are deprived of being just kids by one or both parents.

Comment

Originally posted by zagdontzig View Post
                            Looks like the charges relate to tampering with the gun's serial number, which would suggest it's stolen. Unfortunately, someone should've told him he can walk into a gun shop, show ID, and buy one lawfully. Too bad... Looking forward to him getting this resolved and getting back on the court.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ar-was-driving
                            Not true in Michigan. He would have needed a state issued permit to buy a handgun at a gun show in that state.

Not quite as easy at a gun shop. Would have to complete a background check and wait a specified period of time.

Also, transporting a handgun in Michigan must be in a locked case and not readily accessible to anyone in the vehicle.

Comment

Not true in Michigan. He would have needed a state issued permit to buy a handgun at a gun show in that state.

Not quite as easy at a gun shop. Would have to complete a background check and wait a specified period of time.

Also, transporting a handgun in Michigan must be in a locked case and not readily accessible to anyone in the vehicle.
                              I see.
                              Originally posted by Reborn
                              Go Zags!!!
                              Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

Working...
                              X