No announcement yet.

Gonzaga's Defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don’t see zone in the NBA because the players are too good.

Comment

Originally posted by zagfan08 View Post
      You don’t see zone in the NBA because the players are too good.
      Actually only a limited zone is legal.
      A zone doesn't allow an unguarded defender inside the free throw paint or just above it. The call is like a three second violation.
      The NBA shoots the three so well, a zone is rarely effective.

Comment

Doesn’t help this year but some really good reports on Dusty Stromer’s defense this season. Effort and ability. Excited for him to get here.

Comment

Originally posted by Therunner View Post
          Technically, per Ken Pom, this is the worst Zag defense since they started keeping these metrics (since 2004)
          We are 90th currently, and were 174th in 2006. But yeah, this is our second worst defensive team according to KenPom history.

Comment

I think it would be terrific to make it to the sweet sixteen.....amazing ......after the first round all the teams are good...all the team are winners.......if you can make it to the sweet sixteen and get hot...get a good match up...get a few breaks......just like poker...if you have a chip and a chair......you have a chance....

Comment

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
              I think it would be terrific to make it to the sweet sixteen.....amazing ......after the first round all the teams are good...all the team are winners.......if you can make it to the sweet sixteen and get hot...get a good match up...get a few breaks......just like poker...if you have a chip and a chair......you have a chance....
              They'll need to have Zag O on fire and play better defense and shoot better FTs. The key, IMHO, is mainly excelling on O and at least getting better on the other two. When the opposition is getting punched by a hot O they begin to make mistakes. The Zags are pretty good at turning mistakes into points.

There's a bit of time between now and the Chicago game. How the Zags progress in the rest of league play will be telling.

Comment

Zags Basketball Insiders Podcast
                https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ode-1-a-rolle/

More at the link above. Below is a section from the Spokesman-Review talks a bit about SMC and especially how the Zags might match up with Portland @ Portland. Defense and rebounding being the key to the Zags doing well. I think it is a pretty good take of where the Zags are at this time in the season. It's best to read the whole piece or download the podcast from Apple or other. In the earlier part of the S-R piece Fox and Meehan discuss the dilemma of the Zags not having a consistent 2nd scorer. The guards haven't been there for that and Julian has been streaky as well.

Fox: Yeah, but as good as they are (Saint Mary's), they’ve lost to (Washington), they’ve lost to New Mexico. This is a team that can certainly be beat. But this is bringing it back to your point about (Gonzaga) playing good defense earlier, Jim. I don’t anticipate you and I describing that this has become a great defensive team in the next six weeks. But what they have to do is become a good one on a night-to-night basis. And that’s part of the challenge they’ve had is they’ve had stretches where they defend, where they rebound, but then they’ll go on long stretches where that just isn’t there. And if you’re not a great defensive team, then you’ve got to be a solid one. A consistent one. And I’ll be interested to see as we kind of move through conference, too, if they just shore up that end, kind of bend-don’t-break, versus having these stretches or these games where it’s just not there. Because as well as they score, they just don’t have the room for error.

Meehan: No, and they can’t do what they’re doing in league. They’re giving up 78 a night. They’re giving up 40% from 3. I actually thought they would drive those numbers the other way but they were higher in league for opponents than they were for the nonconference. In all those great teams that they played in the nonconference, you’re right, if they can get that number back to 70, where they’re not having to score 85 or 90 every night to win games, just marginal improvement on that side of the ball could be a game changer for them. Not only in league, but where they’re going to go eventually because I think quite a bit of it hinges on their defense. But, we’ll take one look ahead to Saturday’s game against Portland. We mentioned all the teams. You know I think Santa Clara, I think BYU, USF, LMU, they can beat anybody in the league. Portland, when they’re right, and I’ve seen them right, in the PK85 down in Portland, I watched them play North Carolina, watched them beat Villanova, watched them do everything but beat Michigan State, they can be a handful. They’ve got some perimeter shooting, they’ve got some bigs that can stretch it, Tyler Robertson, who I mentioned before, one of the craftier and more versatile players in the league. I think they’ve got Mike Meadows back. The Zags dusted them by 40 here a week or two ago. Just scored at will. I think Portland continues to get healthier, they continue to be a little up and down. They had a nice win over USF but they’ve had trouble backing it up sometimes. I think there is a reason to be concerned with Portland, especially there. But these are the types of games the Zags are going to have to take care of on the road to get where they want to go. What do you see is the biggest challenge on Saturday against Shantay Legans’ crew?

Fox: Oh, they shoot it well enough. 38%. That’s the nature of the game now. If they can knock down shots in their home gym, it’s going to be interesting for GU because (Portland) can score the ball. They averaging about 77-78 a game, which certainly isn’t where Gonzaga is but on the right night at home, they can get going. They don’t rebound it particularly well, to your point they haven’t been healthy, I think it’s been hard for them to get some consistency out of that group but when they’re on point they’re really talented. And they’ve got some athletes. You know Shantay is a good coach. Gonzaga isn’t going to see what they tried to put together at the Kennel. It’s going to be something completely different. I’ve got a feeling that the game plan is probably tossed in the bin. Was not working for them. But you know what’s hard, Jim? Gonzaga, as long as Mark’s here, there’s always going to be an aura about them and they’re always going to be the biggest game in town when you play them. But I do think the league smells some blood in the water. And there is a confidence seen in some of these opponents where there is just not a lot of fear. Versus when you’ve got Chet Holmgren up front, and Suggs, and (Przemek) Karnowski and (Zach) Collins you know, engulfing the paint. Gonzaga still has the most talent collectively and is still the best team. But the gulf between them and the rest of the league, outside of maybe the bottom two, it’s just not as wide as it was. And so these games, going to Portland, most years, you expect it to be tight the first 10 minutes, 12 minutes, but Gonzaga just based on ABCs is just going to pull away, there is just not much Portland can do. But I would expect Gonzaga to win, but they just don’t have that room for error. If they go down there and they don’t want to guard and they aren’t willing to rebound, then that will be a game.

Meehan: Another shootout.

Fox: This game just isn’t complicated and if you’re not going to guard and you’re not going to rebound, Portland can beat you. That’s it.

Meehan: Most anybody in the league, honestly, can beat them.

Fox: Yeah, and you can say well that’s just anybody, that’s basketball, and that’s true. But for this team in particular, if they don’t want to rebound or they don’t have it dialed in defensively, they can get beat. You would not have said that about a lot of the teams we’ve seen the last few years, even on an off-night, it’s not a game.

Meehan: I think you’re right. I think a lot of it hinges on that defensive side of the ball. I wrote very early on, this team is not boring, they’re not going to be boring. They have the same high ceiling, but I think the floor is lower than it’s been. Especially these great run of teams they’ve had in the Sweet 16 every year. So, hey that’s going to do it. We’re glad to be back with everybody out there on this Zags Insiders Podcast. I apologize once again to my cohorts. Hopefully this will never happen again where I get waylaid technology-wise, but with me, it’s always a possibility. Anyway, you can find us on Apple podcasts, Spotify, Google podcasts and also the spokesman.com website for our newspaper. That way you can get the audio or video version. I recommend the audio only.

Comment

so Rich and Jim read the GUBoards

Comment

Very reasonable......of course they could lose to Portland..... Portland has had some very good games against some very good teams.... especially in Portland....

Comment

Gonzaga's defense is what it is, and will hopefully improve. This team will not win games with it's defense. We need to win them with our offense, and in particularly free-throw shooting. I don't really remember the last time we shot 70% or above from the free throw line. I checked the last 6 or 7 games and just stopped looking further. One thing seems evident for this team is that most games are going to be very close. And close games are often won at the free-throw line. IMO this team does about as good as it can on defense. We have some very good defensive players but we also have some weaker ones. I can think of two for sure and teams are taking advantage of that fact. I don't think our problem has been a lack of effort. Maybe in a couple of games, but that is normal for ANY TIEAM. There are some great shooting guards in this conference. Give them credit. The guard play in conference is as good as I've seen this year.

I don't feel a sense of panic for this team. IMO we doing really well. Give our team and our coaches some credit, which a few of you do not do at all. That's expected on any basketball forum. There will ALWAYS be negative fans posting negative stuff. For me there's not a big difference between winning by 5 or less points and winning by 20 or more. We have been in the top 20 in polls all year long, and any team who is there is really good. And most of the year we've been in the top 10, and teams who are there are really really good, imo. So I don't really have many complaints. I"d just say that foul shooting HAS TO GET BETTER. Like ever other Gonzaga team this team has a lot of pride in being Zags, and they will continue to work hard to get better every week. And I believe that they have. Conference play isn't even half over yet; so there's a long ways to go. Let's enjoy it.

Go Zags!!!
                      The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
                      Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

Hey Reborn, I give them all a lot of credit, from the conference guards to the Zags, and always enjoy the ride. The ride is different this year than it's been more recently but I still enjoy it, and agree it's a finer line, and that there are keys to winning or not like this, like making FTs and the clutch ones (front ends and late game situations), no doubt. Another is d glass to limit opportunites and spring the break maybe for easier buckets the other way, even if giving up baskets and FG% at a higher clip on our end too, the old one and done. It's not like I want opposition guards getting into the paint to operate and score or opposing posts dunking, but to make them finish in there and then d glass hard on forced misses vs. cede catch and shoots from deep...Zags have not shown they can take away both with any consistency, no true rim protector makes that even more difficult obviously (although Drew can do it but he's aware of not collecting fouls imo, a good thing, but 'true rim protector' is not really restrained by that). so Few and co. play holding these cards, etc. I do enjoy it.

Comment

It all comes down to focus, discipline and intensity. We have athletes on this team, we have high IQ guys on this team. They have to want it more and right now they just seem to be going through the motions.

The culture our program has always been built on team mentality and discipline. Even when we weren't getting the 4 and 5* players we had buy in to what we were trying to do and a work like mentality. Harris is supposed to be a really good defender and a shooter, why not give him a stretch when we can't get stops. At this point I would be willing to try anything but we know Few won't change things up.

Our guards are getting burned frequently. I though Rasir would be better with his speed but thats more in the open floor than on the D end. It's collective with the team but it seems those quick physical guards are owning ours.

It wont be perfect but this team needs to find a way to focus on both ends of the floor , right now were literally just trying to outscore opponents in shootouts, not going to work as we are all finding out. All about effort and focus.
                          America's Team!

Comment

Originally posted by bballbeachbum View Post
                            Hey Reborn, I give them all a lot of credit, from the conference guards to the Zags, and always enjoy the ride. The ride is different this year than it's been more recently but I still enjoy it, and agree it's a finer line, and that there are keys to winning or not like this, like making FTs and the clutch ones (front ends and late game situations), no doubt. Another is d glass to limit opportunites and spring the break maybe for easier buckets the other way, even if giving up baskets and FG% at a higher clip on our end too, the old one and done. It's not like I want opposition guards getting into the paint to operate and score or opposing posts dunking, but to make them finish in there and then d glass hard on forced misses vs. cede catch and shoots from deep...Zags have not shown they can take away both with any consistency, no true rim protector makes that even more difficult obviously (although Drew can do it but he's aware of not collecting fouls imo, a good thing, but 'true rim protector' is not really restrained by that). so Few and co. play holding these cards, etc. I do enjoy it.
                            Fox is hardly an objective observer, grab a box of Morton's.

OMG: "(But) this is (still) a really talented group. They lost to Baylor by one, and LMU by one, they’ve been in a lot of close games. If a ball bounces a different way in a couple of those games, they might be No. 3 in the country right now."

Comment

The slow and painful decline of Gonzaga's defense from "The Slipper Still Fits": https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...defense-issues

Comment

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post

Fox is hardly an objective observer, grab a box of Morton's.

OMG: "(But) this is (still) a really talented group. They lost to Baylor by one, and LMU by one, they’ve been in a lot of close games. If a ball bounces a different way in a couple of those games, they might be No. 3 in the country right now."
                                haha...and also this

...but they just don’t have that room for error. If they go down there and they don’t want to guard and they aren’t willing to rebound, then that will be a game...game just isn’t complicated and if you’re not going to guard and you’re not going to rebound, Portland can beat you. That’s it.
                                on all sides of the ledger, not just one or the other

Comment

Working...
                                X