Zags @ Lions: Head to Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zags @ Lions: Head to Head

Second leg of the SoCal road trip, with LMU Lions (7-9, 1-1) tomorrow. LMU's ranking and schedule are similar to the Zags' last opponent, USD. They did beat Air Force and came close in a couple of other MWC matches. The remainder of their OOC schedule is largely mid- and low- major teams. They do have a win in WCC play....yep, USD (64-58).

Their profile is quite similar to USD's, although a bit more offensive minded and less defensive minded:

Pomeroy ranks the Lions at #209 (offense #199, defense #233), some nine spots overall worse than USD. They run a shockingly slow pace at 64.1 possessions per game which is one of the slowest in all of division I (#346). One possibly significant factor is that the Lions are nearly dead last in total rebounds (also #346)! I think the Zags will have a field day with that. Interestingly, they shoot a lot of twos and not a ton of threes, which probably in part explains their decent shooting efficiency. Their two-point % is over 50% and is #38 nationally. They don't shoot FT's well (63.5%, #328).

Torvik's algorithms predict a 77-65 win for the Bulldogs. Looking at the numbers, that seems a bit conservative for me, particularly given how the Zags handled the Toreros last night, and those two teams seem roughly similar statistically. I think the rebound factor is going to play a big role in this game.

Last edited by caduceus; 01-10-2020, 09:48 PM. Reason: kant spel

Vegas says Zags by 18.5 (O/U 142.5). That's approximately 90 - 71. Seems more realistic to me.

Comment

Jim Meehan's game preview from today's S-R:

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...gainst-loyola/

The top-ranked Bulldogs (17-1 overall, 3-0 West Coast Conference) tangle with Loyola Marymount in a 1 p.m. matinee Saturday at Gersten Pavilion. Taming the Lions typically means matching their physicality.

“Every time we play Loyola Marymount, it’s super physical,” Zags coach Mark Few said. “They’re one of the more physical teams we play all year.”

The Zags have won 21 straight in the series and compiled a 42-3 mark under Few. There’s been a mix of blowouts and bruisefests, but the 2019 Zags, with a pair of first-round NBA draft picks, needed a 20-6 closing run for a 73-60 road win.
      The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

One of the big issues going into the game was TEMPO. The Zags play fast, LMU plays one of the slowest paces in all of CBB.

This game had a pace of 71 possessions.

Going into the game?

Zags 72.2 possessions per game.
        LMU 64.1.

Zags absolutely dictated the tempo walking away.

Three game home stretch coming next!!!

Comment

Working...
        X