Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ZN, we need a Scholarship Chart update (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIGHT ON FLA ZAG
    Scholarships and "rides" are gifts which the recipient should cherish and take seriously. Basketball is fun and maybe 1% make the big bucks in NBA but the others ought to be attentive to the "gifts" they receive and the experience they have working with Few, Lloyd, Michelson, Powell, etc., for maturity and successful life. Nigel-Williams may never see the court this year for Utah Jazz with their powerful team but we know he's ready for the next step in his life.
    I had a four-year ride from 1957 to 1961 to write basketball publicity for Zags (or no way I could go to college) and my grades were less than average. I opined later because it was "free" I didn't appreciate it enough. Fortunately the Jesuit influence did something to allow me 10 years later to enter Law School and fashion a professional career. I thank Father Morton, Father Dussault, Father Harrington and Hank Anderson for that privilege.

We are blessed with Few's philosophy of picking recruits which by and large buy into the family model to be great players but also great men. We can look to many of them over the years. Scholarships are a hand up and an opportunity for excellence waiting for a young man to grab the gold ring. Congratulations Matt Lang.

Comment

Ahem ... this thread needs a "bump" !!!

Heartfelt congratulations to Matthew Lang, once again on a full basketball scholarship to Gonzaga University.

Flat. Out. Awesome.
      sigpic
      “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
      ——-
      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

Here's the last chart, prior to Lang picking up the scholly. I wonder if they were keeping that one open in case Black decided to enroll early.

Comment

Florida Zag great post and important words about the value not only of athletic scholarships but the opportunity to go to Gonzaga and have Jesuits influence and transform a life.
          In the 50s I had "NO" funds or money to go to college. Because I was a high school sports writer I was hired by Hank Anderson to write Bulldog basketball publicity. A full ride for
          4 years. It can't even compare with today's costs. Tuition in 1957 was $350.00 per semester and I still didn't have the money. FLA Zag your comments do "point to the real value of
          a scholarship" not the money. My life was changed. Rooming with Jean Claude Lefebvre and getting shoot hoops with Frank Burgess and pal around with Father Harrington and Father
          Dussault. Wow. It is truly transforming for I think any impressionable young kid whether you are jock or a pencil pusher like me. I will always love Gonzaga for the experience.

Oh, since I was underage at the time I did not go to "Joey's Tavern" on Hamilton but I did meet Jack Stockton, John's father who eventually made Joey's Jack and Dans.
          We were the Boone Avenue Brawlers in those days not the wonderful Zag nation of today under Mark Few. Go Zags. Always and forever whether you ever win a Natty.

Comment

For a walk-on, an athletic scholarship carries a huge value (I'm looking at colleges with my HS junior now, and a full-ride would be a big, big deal), but for someone like Suggs, a $60,000 ride looks like this, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by scrooner View Post
              Here's the last chart, prior to Lang picking up the scholly. I wonder if they were keeping that one open in case Black decided to enroll early.

Do the blocks shown include the free COVID year?
              Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                Do the blocks shown include the free COVID year?
                Oh, they DON'T. It's not my table.

Gregg, Harris, Strawther, Holmgren, Sallis, Perry, Hickman are correct, but Nembhard, Bolton, Watson, Arlauskas, Timme should have TWO more years not just one.

Comment

Originally posted by scrooner View Post
                  Oh, they DON'T. It's not my table.

Gregg, Harris, Strawther, Holmgren, Sallis, Perry, Hickman are correct, but Nembhard, Bolton, Watson, Arlauskas, Timme should have TWO more years not just one.
                  Nembhard and Bolton are in their fourth year of playing so each has the COVID year remaining. You are correct with the other three.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
                    Nembhard and Bolton are in their fourth year of playing so each has the COVID year remaining. You are correct with the other three.
                    Ugh, right. So confusing! Not to mention next year we may have 1-6 openings and we won't know for a while...

Comment

nm
                      The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

Working...
                      X