X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA cancels remaining winter and spring championships

NCAA cancels remaining winter and spring championships
    March 12, 2020 4:07pm
    Today, NCAA President Mark Emmert and the Board of Governors canceled the Division I men’s and women’s 2020 basketball tournaments, as well as all remaining winter and spring NCAA championships.

This decision is based on the evolving COVID-19 public health threat, our ability to ensure the events do not contribute to spread of the pandemic, and the impracticality of hosting such events at any time during this academic year given ongoing decisions by other entities.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...-championships

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Today, NCAA President Mark Emmert and the Board of Governors canceled the Division I men’s and women’s 2020 basketball tournaments, as well as all remaining winter and spring NCAA championships. This decision is based on the evolving COVID-19 public health threat, our ability to ensure the events do not contribute to spread of the pandemic, and the impracticality of hosting such events at any time during this academic year given ongoing decisions by other entities.

Obviously its disappointing for us fans, but I really feel for the guys on the team, especially Tillie, Gilder, and Woolridge. What a terrible way for their collegiate careers to end.

Comment

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
      Today, NCAA President Mark Emmert and the Board of Governors canceled the Division I men’s and women’s 2020 basketball tournaments, as well as all remaining winter and spring NCAA championships. This decision is based on the evolving COVID-19 public health threat, our ability to ensure the events do not contribute to spread of the pandemic, and the impracticality of hosting such events at any time during this academic year given ongoing decisions by other entities.

WHY CAN'T WE JUST POSTPONE AND REASSESS LATER?

Comment

NCAA Canceled

Dang just anncounced
        https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ed-coronavirus
        ----
        Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

Life is beginning to feel as if it’s being written by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
          Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

I feel for the guys who won't be back next season. Congrats on a great season to all the guys and will watch you as you move on to the next level, whatever that may be. GO ZAGS!

Comment

It's the right decision but I need a beer and then will probably cry myself to sleep.
              Originally posted by Coach Few
              We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ZagNut08
                Haven't you watched the main stream media, the world will be over before they can reassess!!!
                Hardly.

Please.

This is not about the media. Duke had already said they wouldn't play, Kansas suspended its season.

The fact is that the brunt will not hit for 6-8 weeks, at which point it will be extremely clear why steps were taken early. Look at where Italy, Iran and China are.

This has the potential to kill millions and overwhelm our healthcare system (again, 2 months down the road). It is easy to blame the media bc the media can't talk back.

I am simply heartbroken for Tillie (guy cannot get a break), Woolridge, Gilder, and the rest. The economy is going to get terrible.
                Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                Mark Twain.

Comment

This had to be done. All non-essential events, travel, and gatherings need to be cancelled for the time being. My hope is that in doing so it can be a much shorter time. Half-measures offer none of the benefits with almost all of the costs.

Healthcare systems are frantically preparing for the rising numbers and this has been made extra difficult due to the PPE (personal protective equipment) shortage as much of this was manufactured in China. It's going to hit, and hit hard, and while I am personally shocked and devastated about the NCAA tournament cancellation but I don't see any other way. The liability, risks, and impact were just too much.

Comment

So sad.

Zags may never get a better set up for a deep run than this year. Balanced squad capable of winning with a variety of styles. Currently ranked #1 NET, no dominant opponents, surefire 1 seed in the west with the first 2 games in Spokane. That is as good as it gets and now it is gone. Poof!

ZZ

Comment

Necessary but still very sad. I also really feel for the seniors, Tillie in particular.

Comment

I'm speechless, or close to it. March Madness is my favorite religious tradition. My favorite family tradition. My favorite tradition period. My heart breaks for players and coaches who've spent their lives trying to make that stage. It breaks for little kids and parents who bond through the Dance like my Dad and I did. We've been so spoiled by the Zags' success. We could take the Big Dance for granted. The players couldn't and many will see their careers end without a final shot at glory that they worked so hard to earn. It seems so unfair and yet necessary. Damn.
                        “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

I would have suspended it, selected the field, and wait a week. Cancel at that point if conditions are not materially better.

Strong odds it’s canceled, but at least get recognition for being selected.

Comment

Originally posted by West Side Lady View Post
                            Necessary but still very sad. I also really feel for the seniors, Tillie in particular.
                            This sums my feelings up.
                            "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

The NCAA should do the right thing and grant waivers for seniors impacted by the cancellation of all winter and Spring sports championships. Would be a devastating way to end a college career for thousands of student-athletes otherwise.

But when has the NCAA done the right thing for it's employees. . .er, student athletes ?
                              The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

Working...
                              X