No announcement yet.

Welcome Andrew Nembhard!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's Andrew Nembhard's 2019-20 Season highlights, 10 mins in length.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OU12Zm7cwk

Nigel Williams-Goss comparisons immediately come to mind.

Yes, everyone looks good in their highlight film, so thats with a grain of salt.

The thing I didnt know about Nembhard was his post-up abilities, very NWG-like and Matt Bouldin, Mark Jackson-NBA style. I think GU will use him on the low box regularly in 2 years in certain matchups. I'm very excited because its another dimension to the offense. Clearly hes an unselfish player, we all knew that from his reputation and he is a guy that seems very happy to not force anything and focus on playing great 5 on 5 offense. His fit is perfect and screams balance, always a staple in the GU offense.

An unbelievable selling point is Nembhard's chance to make his 20-21 season be all about practicing against Suggs, Ayayi, Cook, He and Suggs will make each other better, and replicate an NBA combine daily.

The concerns on Nembhard have been about his athleticism and outside shooting. Since highlights don't show defense, I'll assume that questions about athleticism go into the defensive concerns. Outside shooting as was said on another forum is reminiscent of a Lonzo Ball shot and release. I think the work he will put in will be on his body for agility and explosiveness and perhaps leaner. Travis Knight & GU have EXCELLED at this. I think his jump shot will improve with that work and all the additional time he'll have to work on his shot, and at 34% its not like it was at rockbottom to begin with. He's more of a timely shooter, not a guy that forces.

Overall this is a SUPER addition. I can't wait to see how he goes into the lab and comes out of it. His perceived weaknesses can all be incrementally improved, and his current abilities and the things you can't teach are high, high level. Following up on the above point, one advantage Nembhard will have compared to Williams-Goss is that he gets to practice against Suggs, Ayayi and Cook every day. That is basically like being in a G-League team while still in college!!

Comment

I love the experience that Andrew brings -- it will be great for Suggs to have someone that has been up against some of the opponents that Andrew has.

Steven Karr
      @SKarrG0
      ·
      4h
      NWG soph year at UW: 15.6 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 5.9 apg, 103.4 ORtg, 46.8 eFG%

Andrew Nembhard soph: 11.2 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 5.6 apg, 105.9 ORtg, 49.5 eFG%

Nigel had to be THE guy in 17. Nembhard probably won't have to. But if he has even 75% of the impact of Nigel, Gonzaga will be thrilled

Comment

Welcome indeed. The next few years should be especially fun.

Comment

Originally posted by WRHUradio View Post
          Here's Andrew Nembhard's 2019-20 Season highlights, 10 mins in length.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OU12Zm7cwk

Nigel Williams-Goss comparisons immediately come to mind.
          The pacing is the obvious connection to NWG. NWG always got his defender beside him on his drives and never let the defender back in front of him. He did this while always being in control and not seeming to have to push hard to compromise the defender.

The only difference I see between the two is that when the defender would drop his hands to try to get back into position on NWG, he would kill them with the floater. It looks like Nembhard does his damage with a pull-up jumper from the ft line in the same situation but with similar results.

Amazing commit. Could be off the charts after a year in The Clynik.
          Ihre Papiere bitte

Comment

Originally posted by katman50 View Post
            When does Andrew sign on the dotted line? Thus far it's only a verbal, correct?
            So much PTSD over verbal versus signed. Do we have a pedigree of losing verbal commits or are we just being insecure?
            Originally posted by Reborn
            Go Zags!!!
            Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

Originally posted by zagdontzig View Post
              So much PTSD over verbal versus signed. Do we have a pedigree of losing verbal commits or are we just being insecure?
              I believe we lost Jalen Suggs five or six times after his verbal.
              Agent provocateur

Comment

Originally posted by Zag_Dad View Post
                Read a quote from Nembhard (after his announcement to play for GU) that he will 100% be sitting out a year. Can't recall where I saw that, but it was a quote from Nembhard.
                100% correct he will sit one. That was the plan all along. I think we assumed he may try for a waiver, but GU never did, nor did Andrew.

Comment

Andrew - You will love playing for Gonzaga. You made the right choice. We will treat you right and your sit out year will be one that you look back on and appreciate when you get to the next level and you will get there. Thank you for choosing Gonzaga. It is a win-win for all of us.
                  Love the Zags!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonuvazag View Post
                    I believe we lost Jalen Suggs five or six times after his verbal.
                    Nope, we thought so Jalen and GU never did.

Comment

Originally posted by caldwellzag View Post
                      Nope, we thought so Jalen and GU never did.
                      Agent provocateur

Comment

Originally posted by sonuvazag View Post
                        I got it just wanted to clarify that one for everyone. Jalen was a Zag from his first visit to campus, hints after the visit I made my prediction he would be a Zag before Strawther.

Comment

Anyone able to check the Memphis board? I'm guessing a state of shock.
                          America's Team!

Comment

The highlight film shows a crafty player who understands how to break down a defense. He has excellent body control and an excellent arsenal of hesitation moves, head fakes, ball fakes, change of pace dribbles, etc. to crate passing lanes and driving lanes. He reads the defense very well and creates plays for himself and his teammates.

It will be interesting to see how he develops during his redshirt year. He needs to improve his jump shot, but he otherwise shows the potential to be one of the best guards in college basketball. He might follow in the footsteps of Wiltjer, NWG, JWIII, and Clarke to become yet another good player who transfers to Gonzaga to develop into an All-American.
                            “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

Originally posted by caldwellzag View Post
                              I got it just wanted to clarify that one for everyone. Jalen was a Zag from his first visit to campus, hints after the visit I made my prediction he would be a Zag before Strawther.
                              For sure. But according to some on this board, it was near certain he was going pro within 24 hours before his signing. Fun times and it might explain why some are going to continue to be anxious with future recruits until the LOI is official.
                              Agent provocateur

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
                                He might follow in the footsteps of Wiltjer, NWG, JWIII, and Clarke to become yet another good player who transfers to Gonzaga to develop into an All-American.
                                It wouldn't surprise me in the least. I'd put money on him outperforming any incoming freshman PG in 2021 at the very least.

Nick Nurse was quite effusive in his praise for Andrew during the World Cup for the reasons you just cited. He's a very crafty, heady player with a great feel for the game.

Really glad he got that callup because one can only imagine Pangos & Wiltjer helped plant seeds. Now it's time to really bear down and get that shot where it needs to be and he can go harder in the weight room since he doesn't have to worry about fatigue for games.

Hope the transfer proves mutually beneficial for Andrew, Gonzaga & Basketball Canada.

Comment

Working...
                                X