ayayi has some competition...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ayayi has some competition...

just came across this tidbit on cbs sports website...

"Some props to 6-3 Saint Louis guard Jordan Goodwin, who is in the running for pound-for-pound most productive player in college basketball. The man has seven double-doubles this season and is averaging 16.9 points, 11.1 rebounds and 3.8 assists."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ories-of-2020/

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...jordan-goodwin

Originally posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    just came across this tidbit on cbs sports website...

"Some props to 6-3 Saint Louis guard Jordan Goodwin, who is in the running for pound-for-pound most productive player in college basketball. The man has seven double-doubles this season and is averaging 16.9 points, 11.1 rebounds and 3.8 assists."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ories-of-2020/

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...jordan-goodwin
    Great stats, but what is the level of competition? Not to imply that some of the Zags opponents were ranked that high, but anytime a team plays the #1 ranked team, the bring a bit extra to the game.
    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

Agree, great stats, but what is this players role on his team?? Is he "the guy" for St. Louis, does he have the ball in his hands most of the time, etc.?? Not knocking the kid at all, but the comparison may be apples and oranges as Joel is the ZAGS 4th option on offense, doesn't have the ball in his hands all that much, etc.

Cudos to both these young men, but I'll keep our guy all day long.

Go ZAGS

Comment

It is reported that Mark Few is encouraging Joel Ayayi to "Hunt your shot."

There is only one basketball, and it is going through the hoop to the tune of about 100 points per game. For the players to collectively play up to their true potential, you would have to start thinking in terms of those 88-90 LMU teams. I mean every starter sans Watson has already demonstrated a realistic potential to be a consistent 15-20 per night scorer. Nembhard is capable of much more as well. Indeed, to satisfy the hunger of the future top level recruits, Mark Few may have to reinvent himself as Paul Westhead. I'm not so sure he hasn't done so already. Imagine Ballo trying to play in Westhead's offense. He is going to have to become his best impression of a gazelle to keep up. Timme easily adapted because running the floor is absolutely the best part of his game. Fortunately, Ballo is a piece, a potentially very valuable tool, that can be pulled out of the toolbox for specific situations. Otherwise, it is.........

Run, run, run. Spread the floor. High octane offense. Paul Westhead part II

In Gonzaga's two games against LMU in 1990:

1st Game.......Kimble-30 points, Gathers -14 rebounds, Walker-7 assists. Final Score LMU 144, Gonzaga 100
        2nd Game......Kimble AND Gathers 31 points, Stumer 8 rebounds, Walker 6 assists. Final Score (in "The Kennel") LMU 99, Gonzaga 88

Yes ACC fans, there has been some history made (historic games and players) in this conference and Gonzaga was part of it. Still is part of it.
        Last edited by MickMick; 01-01-2021, 10:01 AM.
        I miss Mike Hart

Comment

Saint Louis is a pretty good team. I don’t really see where it’s relevant what his role is on their team, it still impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ayayi has been nothing short of impressive this season. My favorite player so far though I really love this team

Comment

Originally posted by willandi View Post
              Great stats, but what is the level of competition?
              Hah. We have become everything we used to despise.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
                Saint Louis is a pretty good team. I don’t really see where it’s relevant what his role is on their team, it still impressive
                exactly - what does role on team have to do with [email protected]#[email protected]#?

i guess i need to be specific on this board or people don't follow...this is a 6'3 guard averaging 11.1 rebounds per game.

people here like to tout ayayi as the best rebounding guard in the country, so just pointing out that he has competition.

st.louis is a top 20-30 level team in the a-10 (usually better than wcc) that has already beaten lsu and nc-state with only loss at #21 minnesota

and it isn't a covid-related small sample size stat either...the guy averaged a double-double last year as well.
                Last edited by WallaWallaZag; 01-01-2021, 11:50 AM.

Comment

There’s a kind of extreme loyalty or homerism that borders on myopia or insecurity in how some fans respond to the amazing accomplishments of people not wearing a GU jersey. Goodwin is absolutely an elite rebounder and probably a better rebounder for a guard than Ayayi, despite being 2” shorter. Thanks for the post.

Chart dated through 12/17.

Comment

Originally posted by StatsZag View Post
                    There’s a kind of extreme loyalty or homerism that borders on myopia or insecurity in how some fans respond to the amazing accomplishments of people not wearing a GU jersey. Goodwin is absolutely an elite rebounder and probably a better rebounder for a guard than Ayayi, despite being 2” shorter. Thanks for the post.
                    ...and the thing is, my pointing out the stats of goodwin, who i was not familiar with, does absolutely nothing to take away from the accomplishments of ayayi in any way!

i was actually curious if joel in fact might be the "best" rebounding guard in the country statistically, though i hadn't bothered to try and research...

edited to add: so i did do quickie search and if we limit to "high-major" players who are listed as guards:

#1 jordan goodwin st.louis @ 11.1 (6'3 - 200)
                    #2 tyrese martin uconn @ 9.3 (6'6 - 215)
                    #3 luis rodriguez olemiss @ 8.4 (6'6 - 210)
                    #4 isaac likekele ok-state @ 8.3 (6'5 - 215)

ayayi doesn't fall in the top 100 @ 7.8 per, but looking at the list i will go out on a limb and say ayayi is the best "skinny" rebounding guard at 180.
                    #1 and #4 on the list are both combo guards who handle the ball quite a bit while #2 and #3 really have a role more like forwards.
                    Last edited by WallaWallaZag; 01-01-2021, 12:34 PM.

Comment

If y’all have been paying attention, you know Joel is one of my all time favorites.

Here’s the thing. If this kid declared he was a transfer, I’m guessing most of you would be on board with that. He’s really good. A little loose with the ball, but other than that, a terrific player.

Comment

Love Joel and his " elegant" game....but he will have to hustle to catch Burgess who at 6' 1" had career average of 7.6 rebounds per game....and a total of 595 in three seasons and only 78 games....

Comment

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                          Love Joel and his " elegant" game....but he will have to hustle to catch Burgess who at 6' 1" had career average of 7.6 rebounds per game....and a total of 595 in three seasons and only 78 games....
                          I'm sure if Joel played back then with his size and athletism he would have put up ungodly numbers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Whats amazing is gonzaga had 2 players over 7ft on the roster in 1959. Both listed at 7'3.

Comment

Originally posted by White lightning View Post
                              I'm sure if Joel played back then with his size and athletism he would have put up ungodly numbers.

I would agree with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X