Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No matter how I feel about a program - I'll feel so badly for any players whose season gets stopped by covid - not even a chance to play in the tournament. It's gonna be an interesting two weeks.

Comment

I mean, this is on the conferences who are running tournaments this late. The NCAA tournament dates are pretty fixed because of the Masters.

Conferences knew when it had to be, they should have moved their tournaments earlier or got rid of them completely.
      If I'm an ACC or Big 12 team I pull out of the tournament now and get bubbled up in order to get the 7 consecutive days needed.

Comment

I was concerned about there being any conference tournaments this year for the reason of what is happening now. I understand that's not the normal but it beats the alternative for another possible cancellation.
        America's Team!

Comment

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
          5 or more healthy players and any team is a go.
          None of these teams are out yet.

The NCAA's most basic rule is that any member of a team's travel party must test negative seven days in a row before participating in the tournament. As of now, the rest of Virginia's and Kansas' players and coaches are on track to meet that requirement.

But contact tracing can also lead to quarantines and ineligibility. That's why neither Virginia nor Kansas could play Friday night – "a positive test, subsequent quarantining, and contact tracing," per the ACC and Big 12.
          https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-tourna...173009938.html

If they can keep the rest of their teams healthy they can still be eligible. If they advance, even players who tested positive could potentially be eligible to return to the roster.
          'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
          - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

Originally posted by zagfan24 View Post
            I think it will, in some shape or form. But obviously the odds of it being something close to normal are looking more dismal. I could see a scenario where the first weekend was removed, and the committee selected at large 16 teams. I don't think logistically it could be shifted a week back at this point. All I know is Gonzaga lost a golden opportunity last year, and this year is looking shakier. We'll see if the NCAA is more prepared with contingency plans than they appear to be.
            I just hope that the best teams are in it, so that if the Zags win then there is no asterisk that other fans can try to assign to it. More importantly, I hope the Zags don’t test positive! Hoping the players have gotten vaccinated!!!
            The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by Malastein View Post
              I just hope that the best teams are in it, so that if the Zags win then there is no asterisk that other fans can try to assign to it. More importantly, I hope the Zags don’t test positive! Hoping the players have gotten vaccinated!!!
              I think their will be a asterisk if top teams can't play.

Comment

Before this is over it could come down to the last Man/Women/Other.....standing.....

Comment

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                  Before this is over it could come down to the last Man/Women/Other.....standing.....
                  That’s my whole approach to life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                  - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

Originally posted by nonzagzag
                    So, have any college or pro athletes in the world tested positive and been sick enough to be hospitalized or worse?
                    non-sequitur alert!

Comment

It's entirely possible that GU will have no problems at all and play 6 games and win the natty, that they knock themselves out because of a positive test along the way, or that GU wins the national championship without actually playing a single game. What a weird year.
                      Krozman
                      GU student 1996-2000
                      Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

A Partial Answer

Originally posted by nonzagzag
                        So, have any college or pro athletes in the world tested positive and been sick enough to be hospitalized or worse?
                        Not a direct answer to your question, but a recent article published a week ago by the University of Minnesota's Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy addressed only North American pro athletes who contracted inflammatory heart disease after a COVID infection [i.e., focusing only on mild cases, and nothing to say about hospitalizations]. The article includes the following:

"Inflammatory heart disease was [found to be] rare among North American professional athletes after mild or asymptomatic COVID-19, affecting only 0.6%, according to a study published yesterday in JAMA Cardiology. Led by researchers from Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons and major North American sports leagues and players' associations, the multicenter study involved cardiac imaging of 789 pro athletes recovered from COVID-19 from May to October 2020.

"Forty percent of the athletes had mild or no symptoms, and none were severely ill [the fact that they were studying folks who already "had recovered" suggests that seriously ill folks were left out of the group selected to be followed]. None of the athletes who underwent cardiac testing and returned to play had an adverse cardiac event as of late December.

"While abnormal cardiac test results were found in 3.8% of the athletes, only 5 of 789 (0.6%) were diagnosed as having inflammatory heart disease after further evaluation with cardiac magnetic resonance imaging and stress tests. The five athletes, none of whom had preexisting heart disease, were restricted from participation as a result."

You can read more here: https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...se-after-covid
                        SLOZag
                        "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Comment

Duke has shut down MBB for the year. Virginia and Kansas have had positive tests in their MBB programs and have withdrawn from their conference tournaments.

Comment

Teams have until Saturday night @ 11pm EST to report if they're unavailable for the tournament, per the NCAA.

Comment

CBS/Turner will make the tourney happen, even if teams have tryouts. They cannot financially afford to lose another tourney. There is too much money involved.

Duke wasn't going to make it anyway unless they won the ACC tourney. The league wasn't powerful enough to erase their damaging losses.

Comment

Think I read somewhere that NCAA can replace teams until 16 March. If teams declare they are unable to play after that the game will be forfeited no replacements.

Then NCAA threw out you need 5 players to play a game. LOL is that anything new?

We will learn a lot by what happen with Virginia and Kansas. The question that will be answered is will all the players that past 7 straight Covid tests from Kansas and Virginia be allowed to go to the NCAA tournament and leave the players or staff that don't behind?

Comment

Working...
                                X