No announcement yet.

In case anyone is wondering about the strength of our team this upcoming season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In case anyone is wondering about the strength of our team this upcoming season

Assuming Timme and Nembhard return this upcoming season, we will have 6 of the top 9 recruits in Gonzaga history playing on one team (according to 24/7 sports). https://247sports.com/college/gonzag...tball/Commits/

1. Chet Holmgren
    2. Hunter Sallis

3. Jalen Suggs
    4. Andrew Nembhard
    5. Zach Collins
    6. Austin Daye
    7. Drew Timme
    8. Anton Watson
    9. Kaden Perry

Now I know recruiting rankings don't equal wins, if you scroll further you see names like Theo Davis and Pavel Zakharov in the top 11. But boy oh boy have things changed in Zagville these past three years.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Every single player on next year's team is also a former ESPN Top 100 player too (assuming Cook isn't back).

Comment

Double WOW!
      "Neck-ties are just maxi pads for your throat." - Ted Williams

Comment

If Fanbo does reclassify next year, he would be #14 on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by ET2021 View Post
          If Fanbo does reclassify next year, he would be #14 on the list.
          Does Fanbo start over Strawther?
          Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

Originally posted by willandi View Post
            Does Fanbo start over Strawther?
            Gotta think not; Remember he'd be two years younger than Strawther and Strawther already has a year's experience under his belt. Fanbo would be a likely redshirt candidate, along with Perry.

Comment

Expectations are obviously high (and should be) - but the pessimist in me worries about a few things:

1. Title teams in the modern era shoot the 3pt shot very well (top15 or so) - We've recently lost Tillie, Kispert, and Ayayi. Who is shooting ~40% from 3? Is there ANY way GU is a top25 team from 3?

2. Chet, Julian, Hunter, and Dom are elite young PROSPECTS, not grown men with big game (or any serious game NCAA experience) who could now be playing the NBA. Seems like you need some guys on your team who can out-athlete and out-tough the competition, and who might have chosen to return to college despite the possibility of being drafted. Most recent title teams had a player (or 2) who fit this bill.

GU's gonna be great again, but I expect the above two points will be persistent weaknesses (though they will be irrelevant in ~20 games we dominate vs sub-75Kenpom teams).

Comment

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post
                Gotta think not; Remember he'd be two years younger than Strawther and Strawther already has a year's experience under his belt. Fanbo would be a likely redshirt candidate, along with Perry.
                There is zero chance Fanbo reclassifies to the 2021 class just to redshirt. If he comes this next year, he will play. How much is TBD. I also wouldn’t expect Perry to RS either. He will likely compete with Gregg for minutes off the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

With respect to next year's team and their ability to shoot the 3, I consider the following:

* that's one of the things Chet is known for
                  * I think Strawther will emerge as Kispert 2.0; or at least that's the whisper. The kid is a born scorer
                  * We didn't look to Nembhard this past year for a lot from 3, but it's definitely part of his arsenal
                  * If any of Dom, Sallis or (thinking positive!) Timme can emerge as a consistent 3-ball threat, watch out
                  Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by StatZag View Post
                    Expectations are obviously high (and should be) - but the pessimist in me worries about a few things:

1. Title teams in the modern era shoot the 3pt shot very well (top15 or so) - We've recently lost Tillie, Kispert, and Ayayi. Who is shooting ~40% from 3? Is there ANY way GU is a top25 team from 3?

2. Chet, Julian, Hunter, and Dom are elite young PROSPECTS, not grown men with big game (or any serious game NCAA experience) who could now be playing the NBA. Seems like you need some guys on your team who can out-athlete and out-tough the competition, and who might have chosen to return to college despite the possibility of being drafted. Most recent title teams had a player (or 2) who fit this bill.

GU's gonna be great again, but I expect the above two points will be persistent weaknesses (though they will be irrelevant in ~20 games we dominate vs sub-75Kenpom teams).
                    Completely agree with this assessment.
                    Love the Zags!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
                      There is zero chance Fanbo reclassifies to the 2021 class just to redshirt. If he comes this next year, he will play. How much is TBD. I also wouldn’t expect Perry to RS either. He will likely compete with Gregg for minutes off the bench.

I may be wrong but didn't Ballo reclassify and then sit a year? Why do you say there is zero chance?

Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by NEC26 View Post
                        I may be wrong but didn't Ballo reclassify and then sit a year? Why do you say there is zero chance?

Just curious.
                        Ballo didn’t choose to redshirt, he was forced to take an academic redshirt by the NCAA as a non qualifier.

Comment

Originally posted by gueastcoast View Post
                          With respect to next year's team and their ability to shoot the 3, I consider the following:

* that's one of the things Chet is known for
                          * I think Strawther will emerge as Kispert 2.0; or at least that's the whisper. The kid is a born scorer
                          * We didn't look to Nembhard this past year for a lot from 3, but it's definitely part of his arsenal
                          * If any of Dom, Sallis or (thinking positive!) Timme can emerge as a consistent 3-ball threat, watch out
                          Andrew Nembhard is under 33% from three after 3 college seasons, I wouldn’t say that is a strong part of his game.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post

I see he's actually 18 already too; born January 2003. I thought he was a year younger.

Comment

- does anybody know what chet's high school stats are for shooting the 3?
                              - i read all the time that he is a good 3 point shooter, but never a mention at what percentage.

Comment

Working...
                              X