No announcement yet.

Realignment & Gonzaga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roth discusses the BIG East possibilities in the Sac and Jack Interview.....

Comment

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
      Roth discusses the BIG East possibilities in the Sac and Jack Interview.....
      I need to listen to that interview...thanks bart! BTW, how's life treating you?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
        I need to listen to that interview...thanks bart! BTW, how's life treating you?
        Still winning....

Comment

Here's my crazy $.02: Kansas drops football, joins Zags and other select basketball schools, joining with the Big East to form the Coast to Coast Conference. Problem is, there aren't many basketball schools West of the Continental Divide to whet the appetite of the Big East.
          Doable. Spokane to San Diego is 1,300 miles, to Chicago 1,800 miles. The trick would be to find 2-3 other aspirational WCC schools to join a BE West. Add DePaul and Loyola from Chicago and others from Midwest, such as Creighton, SLO, Marquette, maybe Wichita. Play Friday Sunday. Maybe one or 2 trips east to play other BE schools. Conference championship still at Garden but prelim rounds for the west in maybe SLC or Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
            Doable. Spokane to San Diego is 1,300 miles, to Chicago 1,800 miles. The trick would be to find 2-3 other aspirational WCC schools to join a BE West. Add DePaul and Loyola from Chicago and others from Midwest, such as Creighton, SLO, Marquette, maybe Wichita. Play Friday Sunday. Maybe one or 2 trips east to play other BE schools. Conference championship still at Garden but prelim rounds for the west in maybe SLC or Denver.
            I guarantee their basketball fanbase would view this conference as a huge downgrade from the Big 12 but unless the Big 10 extends an offer they may not have any better options.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
              Why not play the Championship game at the new Seattle Center?

I know, I know. People from New York think that the country stops at Pittsburgh.
              Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

It is prudent to never say never......but......the Eagles reunion album was called " Hell Freezes Over ".....

Comment

Originally posted by willandi View Post

I know, I know. People from New York think that the country stops at Pittsburgh.
                  There’s always Jerry World In Arlington. The one thing DFW has going for it are the direct flights into DFW airport. Not likely, with the paucity of Texas schools that would be in this new conference.

Comment

There’s always Jerry World In Arlington. The one thing DFW has going for it are the direct flights into DFW airport. Not likely, with the paucity of Texas schools that would be in this new conference.
                    Texas is SEC country now, baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

Musings from ESPN...

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ege-basketball
                      Originally posted by Reborn
                      Go Zags!!!
                      Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

Personally, which is the only way I can possibly see things, it will all work out...one way or another. Worrying about it now won't help. It doesn't seem as though the folks in charge of the big schools and conferences could really believe that sacrificing the other 300 +- schools in D1 could possibly be a long term, good thing.

The new AD and Few will do what they have to to keep the Zags relevant, unless there is nothing they can do.

When a chunk of sky hits me, I will worry about the sky falling.
                        Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

No, it stops at the Hudson.

Comment

Zags are not leaving the WCC, even if BYU bolts. They used their flirtation with the MWC to better their allotment in the WCC. There is nowhere else to go. They are aligned perfectly. The NCAA tournament would lose money hand over fist if they left out teams from smaller leagues. Football is the ultimate cash cow, but the NCAA tourney w/out COVID-19 brings in too much cash for the NCAA to set it up like football. Betting drives the tournament (the NCAA knows it), and picking the upsets is a big part of that. 25% of all American workers are involved in office pools. CBS and Turner want Gonzaga in the tourney, but they also want Morehead State, VCU and Mercer. It is TV that is really calling the shots. The NCAA licks their boots.

Comment

We are all Doomed....

Go Zags!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
                                Ever hear of the boiled frog theory? You know....small incremental changes over time that are hardly noticeable until one day you wake up and say to yourself "How the Hell did we get here?" How many of you older folks have looked at your insurance copay bill and said that aloud? It didn't happen over night.

You folks are in for a good dose of boiled frog and I'm not talking about football. Gonzaga's lofty basketball status won't change over night, but you have not thought this through if you think this will only affect football.

I'll start with simple ones. Do you think the NCAA will perpetually remain as the governing body of college athletics? If not, how far into the future? If the NCAA eventually ceases to wield power, who will comprise the selection committee for a post season tournament?

In my opinion, the ruling body of college athletics is currently the SEC commissioner's office. That office will dictate the future of college athletics. As it is doing right now. That office will determine if we proceed with a 68 team post season tournament. Perhaps they will but I don't like the odds. Even if they do, you can be sure that financial overcompensation will be extorted. It is what Texas does. The same arguments that Gonzaga used to leverage the WCC will be used by a couple of SEC programs and not just against conference members, but against the entirety of college athletics. The NCAA is helpless to dictate otherwise.
                                I'm not suggesting we ignore realities. My point is conference alignment is driven by maximizing revenues. It doesn't make sense to break up the NCAA basketball model because it's making the most money. I think that's why it survives regardless of what the CFP does, and that's a good thing for little, plucky Gonzaga.

Personally, which is the only way I can possibly see things, it will all work out...one way or another. Worrying about it now won't help. It doesn't seem as though the folks in charge of the big schools and conferences could really believe that sacrificing the other 300 +- schools in D1 could possibly be a long term, good thing.

The new AD and Few will do what they have to to keep the Zags relevant, unless there is nothing they can do.

When a chunk of sky hits me, I will worry about the sky falling.
                                We thought the sky was falling when we lost Dan Monson (or I would guess the collective "we" thought that). We thought the sky was falling when BYU joined the conference. We thought the sky was falling when we lost to Wichita State. We survived all that. Maybe losing Lloyd, Roth, the introduction of NIL, and Conference realignment all in the same year will be enough to finally break the Zags, but it hasn't yet.
                                Originally posted by Reborn
                                Go Zags!!!
                                Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

Working...
                                X