Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN top 25: 8/31/21

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...nkings-2021-22

Probably another one prior to season beginning. Zags remain no 1. Penny at Memphis is of course, is drawing notice.
    We have some youngsters on this team but with some luck, we can go undefeated.

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...nkings-2021-22

Probably another one prior to season beginning. Zags remain no 1. Penny at Memphis is of course, is drawing notice.
    We have some youngsters on this team but with some luck, we can go undefeated.
    I'm not a big fan of undefeated. Acknowledge it or not, the pressure of remaining unbeaten, winning the NC, and accomplishing something no other team has been able to do since the tourney expanded from 32 to 64+ teams, is heavy. Also, a defeat can be a better learning opportunity than a win, so if that loss does not come in a single-elimination tournament at the end of the year, the team stands to come out stronger as a result. It can also bring them back down to earth, if necessary, and teach them humility. These guys are, after all, human beings first and are therefore subject to the same kinds of pressures, etc. as other human beings. I doubt others agree, but that's how I feel. I start felling a little anxious if we approach NCAA time of the year without a loss.

Comment

Agree. The dilemma is which game hurts the least to lose. Love their starting lineup:

Nolan Hickman (No. 22 in ESPN 100)
      Andrew Nembhard (9.1 points per game)
      Hunter Sallis (No. 14 in ESPN 100)
      Chet Holmgren (No. 1 in ESPN 100)
      Drew Timme (19.0 PPG)

Comment

Originally posted by TexasZag View Post
        I'm not a big fan of undefeated. Acknowledge it or not, the pressure of remaining unbeaten, winning the NC, and accomplishing something no other team has been able to do since the tourney expanded from 32 to 64+ teams, is heavy. Also, a defeat can be a better learning opportunity than a win, so if that loss does not come in a single-elimination tournament at the end of the year, the team stands to come out stronger as a result. It can also bring them back down to earth, if necessary, and teach them humility. These guys are, after all, human beings first and are therefore subject to the same kinds of pressures, etc. as other human beings. I doubt others agree, but that's how I feel. I start felling a little anxious if we approach NCAA time of the year without a loss.
        I have never subscribed to the theory that negative reinforcement is better than positive reinforcement, not in raising my kids, not in coaching, not in leadership and not in life…..but too each his own
        Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Comment

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
          Agree. The dilemma is which game hurts the least to lose. Love their starting lineup:

Drew Timme (19.0 PPG)
          If the over under on this lineup starting together was set at 1 game I’d take the under.

Comment

I guess it's hard to say. I was at the Baylor game and as I was watching warmups I was still buzzing over the Suggs shot two days before. The biggest issue with the NC was the emotional turnaround and playing a team that would have beaten pretty much any NCAA team of the decade that night. Going undefeated felt like an awesome opportunity more than a heavy weight... IMO. Some teams maybe more impacted than others.

Comment

accomplishing something no other team has been able to do since the tourney expanded from 32 to 64+ teams, is heavy.
              I never put this together. That means, presumably, we already set a record for most consecutive wins in a single season last year? Or was it 2015 Kentucky because of our COVID-shortened season?
              Originally posted by Reborn
              Go Zags!!!
              Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

Zags have redemption on their minds. Like Virginia in 2019.

tough loses tend to focus the mind…..5 star recruits also help

Comment

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
                  I have never subscribed to the theory that negative reinforcement is better than positive reinforcement, not in raising my kids, not in coaching, not in leadership and not in life…..but too each his own
                  Totally agree
                  Bring back the OCC

Comment

- i doubt you and texaszag really see life from 180 degree different perspectives of positive or negative reinforcement.
                    - i bet your kids learned plenty from the school of hard knocks, and what is a good leader or coach but one who can lead and motivate after having been knocked down once.
                    - i had a director tell our cast that 'real acting' began when someone flubbed a line and the actors would continue to 'act' such that the audience would never know a line was flubbed.

- i think there is universal agreement, lets give our best effort, strive to win every game..........but if you do lose, learn from it.

Comment

Originally posted by bdmiller7 View Post

starting lineup:

Drew Timme (19.0 PPG)

If the over under on this lineup starting together was set at 1 game I’d take the under.
                      I don't think there will be a lot of action for the over and you'll have to give odds. Expect someone with more experience starting over Sallis; Bolton or Watson make more sense. Whoever works the hardest on defense and rebounding earns that slot IMO so Sallis should be in the mix.
                      Ihre Papiere bitte

Comment

Originally posted by GonzaGAW View Post
                        - i doubt you and texaszag really see life from 180 degree different perspectives of positive or negative reinforcement.
                        - i bet your kids learned plenty from the school of hard knocks, and what is a good leader or coach but one who can lead and motivate after having been knocked down once.
                        - i had a director tell our cast that 'real acting' began when someone flubbed a line and the actors would continue to 'act' such that the audience would never know a line was flubbed.

- i think there is universal agreement, lets give our best effort, strive to win every game..........but if you do lose, learn from it.
                        I agree. I don't use negative reinforcement intentionally in my parenting, but I've learned a lot from losing. And I expect my kid will too. It's been one of the greatest things about sports.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post

Drew Timme (19.0 PPG)
                          If we have to lose one game, and one game only, and I get to pick it, I guess I want it to be at SMC.

Comment

How on earth is this negative reinforcement? Negative reinforcement would be to punish the team for a loss. I don't believe I came anywhere near saying that. Gees!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
                              If we have to lose one game, and one game only, and I get to pick it, I guess I want it to be at SMC.
                              Absolutely.

Comment

Working...
                              X