Here are the top teams with number 1 seeds from 2012-2021
    4 - Gonzaga
    Kansas
    North Carolina
    Virginia

3- Villanova

2 - Duke
    Kentucky
    We are one of two without a title in that period? Ouch.

Comment

Would be at 5 with Kansas if the tournament was played in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
        We are one of two without a title in that period? Ouch.
        Hmmm. How many 1 seeds from the PAC 12 and Big Can’t Count past Ten? (The answer = 8). And no titles for either of those entire conferences since 1997 (PAC 12) and 2001 (Big 10).

Ouch.
        Last edited by GoZags; 09-01-2021, 03:50 PM. Reason: Edited to add PAC 12 #1 seeds (2) and Big 10 #1 seeds (6) over the last decade.
        sigpic
        “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
        ——-
        List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
        Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
          Hmmm. How many 1 seeds from the PAC 12 and Big Can’t Count past Ten? (The answer = 8). And no titles for either of those entire conferences since 1997 (PAC 12) and 2001 (Big 10).

Ouch.
          Look, I'm very grateful for the program. A thousand praises.
          But it is what it is. Seven teams had multiple #1 seeds in that time frame. And all but two won a national title. No one had more #1 seeds than us. That is evidence for the argument that GU is overrated. I don't like that argument. So I say "ouch."

Comment

Look, I'm very grateful for the program. A thousand praises.
            But it is what it is. Seven teams had multiple #1 seeds in that time frame. And all but two won a national title. No one had more #1 seeds than us. That is evidence for the argument that GU is overrated. I don't like that argument. So I say "ouch."
            You must be a new fan. Anyone that has been around since the 80s or earlier would have never believe that we ever would have one of the top 5 recruiting classes and be a number one seed let alone multiple times. We have one of the longest consecutive sweet 16 streaks. These are not signs of being over-rated. We have been to the National Championship game twice in 4 tournaments with 2020 being one of best teams and the tournament not being held. You have to win 5 games in the tournament to get to the championship game. That is not being over-rated. Enjoy the ride because once it is over, we probably will never see anything like it again.

Comment

Originally posted by GoZag View Post
              You must be a new fan. Anyone that has been around since the 80s or earlier would have never believe that we ever would have one of the top 5 recruiting classes and be a number one seed let alone multiple times. We have one of the longest consecutive sweet 16 streaks. These are not signs of being over-rated. We have been to the National Championship game twice in 4 tournaments with 2020 being one of best teams and the tournament not being held. You have to win 5 games in the tournament to get to the championship game. That is not being over-rated. Enjoy the ride because once it is over, we probably will never see anything like it again.
              I'm new compared to some. Old compared to others. Been following the team since I enrolled in 2002 (so my whole adult life). I'm not saying the program is bad or unimpressive in any way really. Just that they underperformed their seed compared to all of the other teams named in OP.

eta: so what if I was a new fan anyway. Long-tenured loyalty to a sports team is a dumb point of pride.

Comment

As the resident curmudgeon, I’m astonished that anyone — old, new, indifferent fan — can find that #1 seed performance anything but magnificent. Out.

Comment

Absolutely everything Zagville is magnificent. Even for a 1961 grad, roommate of Jean Claude Lefebre, SID to national scoring champ Frank Burgess, faithful, loyal and grateful GU fan whose golden years have been blessed every winter with great hoops and proud performances by our team. Keep the TV contract I hope.
                  Youth is wonderful but remember many are called and few are chosen. How many "little" Jesuit or otherwise small schools have the history of the Zags. We have much to be thankful for so be patient we will have that National Champ soon. Have faith.
                  Go Zags

Comment

When you earn a #1 seed it is a great accomplishment. Just because you are a #1 seed doesn't mean you are handed the championship trophy -- you still need to earn it ---- you could be one injury, a couple of phantom foul calls or have a hot team standing in the way of a title.

As a school that has not been blessed with a top 20 recruiting class every year -- the Zags have done great with the hands they have been dealt/players who have donned the uniform-- there have been posts in the past that mathematically prove that Gonzaga does not underperform in the dance and is therefore not overrated.

If you can't even get jazz to buy into your overrated theory then you really need to rethink your argument.

Comment

Originally posted by BurgessEraZag View Post
                      Absolutely everything Zagville is magnificent. Even for a 1961 grad, roommate of Jean Claude Lefebre, SID to national scoring champ Frank Burgess, faithful, loyal and grateful GU fan whose golden years have been blessed every winter with great hoops and proud performances by our team. Keep the TV contract I hope.
                      Youth is wonderful but remember many are called and few are chosen. How many "little" Jesuit or otherwise small schools have the history of the Zags. We have much to be thankful for so be patient we will have that National Champ soon. Have faith.
                      Go Zags
                      I’d say the Saint Joseph’s College Hawks are closest long term. USF had golden years, as did Marquette.

https://www.ajcunet.edu/institutions

Comment

I'm new compared to some. Old compared to others. Been following the team since I enrolled in 2002 (so my whole adult life). I'm not saying the program is bad or unimpressive in any way really. Just that they underperformed their seed compared to all of the other teams named in OP.

eta: so what if I was a new fan anyway. Long-tenured loyalty to a sports team is a dumb point of pride.
                        #1 seeds win the tourney something like 64% of the time, with 4 #1 seeds that means each has only about a 16% chance of being champion each year entering the tourney. So even making the championship game twice meets, or probably exceeds how a #1 seed is expected to perform.

Comment

Someone in the past few years did a great post outlining (and if memory serves) debunking the myth that GU underperforms their seeds. Was insightful to read.

Comment

As an alum who has seen at least one game live for each of the past 32 years, despite living in the Puget Sound area that entire time; I have great respect for those who have followed Gonzaga for a longer period.

I respectfully disagree that my pride is dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Club Prez View Post
                              As an alum who has seen at least one game live for each of the past 32 years, despite living in the Puget Sound area that entire time; I have great respect for those who have followed Gonzaga for a longer period.

I respectfully disagree that my pride is dumb.
                              Yeah. Sorry. I shouldn't've said that. It wasn't nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X