Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My understanding is that in the state of Washington portable breathalyzer tests (those taken in the field) are so unreliable that they are inadmissible in court. I know this is Idaho, but perhaps the same is true. I'm reserving judgement until we have the results of the blood test.

Comment

• This is jaw dropping. Not the stuff about Mark Few. I'm gob smacked that folks are acting like everything is going to go back to like it once was. Not just for basketball. For everything.

I have news for you. It isn't. You old world view is an extinct dinosaur. You just don't know it yet.

It isn't crazy to start thinking about survival mode now. The opening red flag indicator will be the never ending "shortages" at your local supermarket. That will be the time to buy 50 pound sacks of beans, rice, and salt. Amazon delivers it and right now the going rate is roughly a hundred bucks per sack. They will cost ten times that amount within two years. Have a means to burn wood and boil water. Maybe buy some ammunition as well. Thats it. That is all you absolutely need. Everything else is convenience.

Regardless, it is intriguing to me up that Few's DUI story is being perceived as closer to the "end of the world" than the real end of the world. I'm just saying. I'm seeing a lot of emotional investment here over relative triviality. Relative to the end of the world that is.

The world forests are burning. The world lakes are emptying. The world ice is melting. The world oceans are rising. The world has witnessed three "thousand year floods" in a single year. We are approaching 200,00 infections a day and we have eight pages on how a breath test works. Sign of the times.

No one takes me seriously anymore. That is how you know you are not a lemming.
      I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• The expiatory nature of many of these posts I think is valuable to the poster. Beyond that, I agree w Doc, nothing to see here….yet.

Comment

• Few and reputation

I feel for Mark Few. He seems like a good person but it seems he has been heralded as close to flawless. That has always bothered me. He is a good coach. He runs a clean program. He appears committed to family values. But, he is human and flawed like everyone. The one thing that had made me uncomfortable in my Zag fandom has been the exalting of Few. He is a good coach and probably, a pretty good human being--like a lot of other people.
          Some people have a way with words. Some people not have way.

Comment

• Originally posted by MickMick View Post
            This is jaw dropping. Not the stuff about Mark Few. I'm gob smacked that folks are acting like everything is going to go back to like it once was. Not just for basketball. For everything.

I have news for you. It isn't. You old world view is an extinct dinosaur. You just don't know it yet.

It isn't crazy to start thinking about survival mode now. The opening red flag indicator will be the never ending "shortages" at your local supermarket. That will be the time to buy 50 pound sacks of beans, rice, and salt. Amazon delivers it and right now the going rate is roughly a hundred bucks per sack. They will cost ten times that amount within two years. Have a means to burn wood and boil water. Maybe buy some ammunition as well. Thats it. That is all you absolutely need. Everything else is convenience.

Regardless, it is intriguing to me up that Few's DUI story is being perceived as closer to the "end of the world" than the real end of the world. I'm just saying. I'm seeing a lot of emotional investment here over relative triviality. Relative to the end of the world that is.

We are approaching 200,00 infections a day and we have eight pages on how a breath test works. Sign of the times.

No one takes me seriously anymore. That is how you know you are not a lemming.
            Turn off the TV

Comment

• I think his punishment will be suspension for 2 games and then move forward. He has remorse for his actions and I don’t see it happening again.

Comment

• I think it is childish to consider game suspensions as punishment for the coach. I realize some of you may be in professions where your employer may punish you for a DWI, but I would believe that for most working adults, the punishment is from the infraction itself, higher insurance rates, lost work days or time for court appearances and then life moves on. Anyway, if he is guilty, he will be punished in some way. But really, what punishment is given to other University employees for similar infractions? How many years has he represented Gonzaga as coach without a hint of scandal? If you are serious about punishing him, give him some community service…..oh, wait….he already does more for the community than almost anyone in Spokane.

Comment

• Originally posted by scott257 View Post
                  I think it is childish to consider game suspensions as punishment for the coach. I realize some of you may be in professions where your employer may punish you for a DWI, but I would believe that for most working adults, the punishment is from the infraction itself, higher insurance rates, lost work days or time for court appearances and then life moves on. Anyway, if he is guilty, he will be punished in some way. But really, what punishment is given to other University employees for similar infractions? How many years has he represented Gonzaga as coach without a hint of scandal? If you are serious about punishing him, give him some community service…..oh, wait….he already does more for the community than almost anyone in Spokane.
                  Because he is someone that people expect more from, simply by his position and his previous deeds. He leads young men each year and should be the first to set the example of what not to do and the first to accept punishment, whatever the administration hands down. People should expect better from those in positions of power, no matter what sector of society they reside in.

Comment

I think it is childish to consider game suspensions as punishment for the coach. I realize some of you may be in professions where your employer may punish you for a DWI, but I would believe that for most working adults, the punishment is from the infraction itself, higher insurance rates, lost work days or time for court appearances and then life moves on. Anyway, if he is guilty, he will be punished in some way. But really, what punishment is given to other University employees for similar infractions? How many years has he represented Gonzaga as coach without a hint of scandal? If you are serious about punishing him, give him some community service…..oh, wait….he already does more for the community than almost anyone in Spokane.
                    It is unfortunate, but situations like those Bobby Petrino was involved in have caused universities to monitor the actions of their athletic administration staff. Gonzaga has been able to hold itself to a high standard not because problems like this don't happen, but because it deals with these types of situations in an open, fair, and transparent way. Yes, Gonzaga is an employer, but GU has to demonstrate that it is not arbitrary in its actions and will hold all its staff and athletes to the same standards and rigor in dealing with incidents.

Yes, the University will hold any decisions until it fully understands the legal outcome. It will, based on past actions, integrate the legal outcome with its response as well.
                    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

more childish to think at a faith based institution a DUI or DWI wouldnt come with a suspension. I work at one and would get fired if I got a DWI.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                        The expiatory nature of many of these posts I think is valuable to the poster. Beyond that, I agree w Doc, nothing to see here….yet.
                        Excellent word “expiation “. Congrats you wordsmith Jazz. Reminds me of being in the Jesuit community in the 60s. Such were those times when words like that flew freely all the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by mainer6 View Post
                          I feel for Mark Few. He seems like a good person but it seems he has been heralded as close to flawless. That has always bothered me. He is a good coach. He runs a clean program. He appears committed to family values. But, he is human and flawed like everyone. The one thing that had made me uncomfortable in my Zag fandom has been the exalting of Few. He is a good coach and probably, a pretty good human being--like a lot of other people.
                          I have nothing to add to this thread, but this post is spot-on.

Oh wait, I have this to add:

Someone replied to Spokesman's FB post on this subject on Tuesday and said "This just means he is legitimately ready to run for public office." I found that very humorous.
                          Originally posted by Coach Few
                          We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
                            False. Heytvelt was during the season, just prior to or following a game. One part of the issue was illegality (I think it could have been categorized as a felony in the eyes of an aggressive prosecutor). Secondly, it was an affront to the team.

Not even close. More similar to Josh Perkins.
                            It's neither true nor false, it's an opinion. As is yours. I disagree with your opinion that endangering the lives of the public is less of an offense than simple possession of of a naturally occurring plant substance (one that is now being studied for its mental health benefits).

ETA: IMO more should be expected of a 58 yr old multimillionaire in a position of power than of a kid, but I suppose that's false as well.

Comment

The problem is that Few is not like most adults. In the public eye, Few is synonymous with Gonzaga University. While he may not be the head of the university, he is the face of it. Any offense by Few might as well be an offense committed by Gonzaga. We can argue how unfair that is, and maybe it is, but I think that's why many of us are taking this so hard. It's penetrated us far deeper than any mistake by any player.

Comment

• Legally it will come down to blood work.

Professionally the damage is done imo

https://www.kxly.com/court-docs-mark...with-citation/

Comment

Working...
                                X