Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coach Few Cited For Drunk Driving

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by AirborneJag View Post
    A few (no pun intended) come to mind. First, we have all sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God. Second, those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Third, whomever is without sin can cast the first stone. Finally, there but by the Grace of God go I.

    I am not approving Fewie’s actions nor am I defending them. He was wrong and I think his statement acknowledges that fact. If we are honest, a lot of us will admit we’ve been in that same exact place and made the same exact (poor) decision and I include myself in that statement. And I should have known better since I defended DUI cases in Coeur d’Alene early in my legal career. Yah - Fewie makes enough to hire a driver; yah - he should have waited an hour longer and maybe his blood alcohol would have declined, yah - he is a public figure, the face of Gonzaga and there should be held to a higher standard that by the way, no key board ranger here could possibly meet unless they are a hermit, and yadda, yadda, yah. And no, it’s not lack of cooperation to refuse to perform the field sobriety test - it’s called sound legal advice from someone. I would say he needs and will be held accountable both by the law and by the University and so everyone take a deep breath and let this work out.
    You nailed it, I absolutely agree.
    It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

    GO ZAGS!!!

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by HenneZag View Post
      USA today reported that he refused to complete field sobriety tests. To me that falls under the category of uncooperative. Obviously news can be garbage, so I hope that's not the case. Point being is that how he handles this will dictate how big of a mark it leaves.

      https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ng/5761139001/
      Many lawyers advise folks to forgo the sobriety tests. They are very subjective.

      Comment


      • #93
        Mark Few did the right thing by owning it at 7:00PM tonight. Now its up to the new Gonzaga athletic director or president of Gonzaga to do the right thing and suspend Coach Few for a couple of games. If they let this thing drag out it will only tarnish the reputation of Gonzaga as a whole. Until the suspension announcement is made it will be continued to to be media news, and fodder for the media.

        Coach Few is going to have to show more maturity than he ever imagined on the road games, because he will be taunted non stop. All it will take is one time for Coach Few to loose his cool on the road with a opposing fan and his reputation will go further down the dark hole. Few has lived a charmed life as a successful coach. Coach Few is going to have to have extremely thick skin this year on the road. His character will be tested this year like no other.

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by krozman View Post
          I think you shouldn't focus so much on the blood alcohol level. That's the standard they set for liability AFTER a police officer sees you driving erratically, and you get pulled over. Everyone likes to poke at the legal standard as obscure at best because everyone knows someone who could drive perfectly with a .15 level, and there are those (like my wife) who wouldn't be safe at an .06 level because they never drink and have zero tolerance.

          The focus here shouldn't be the numbers. It's that he was driving erratically, and a grown man who drinks knows how many is too many, whether thats 2 or 10. It was a lapse in judgment that could have ended his career much less cost him a few games. He was lucky he was pulled over before worse happened.
          I had a friend that routinely drank 4-5 pitchers of Bud light, with his wife, almost every night. He was a big guy and seldom appeared drunk.
          He was pulled over one night for a taillight violation ( he drove a 1964 chevy in 1989), and blew a high number. He also passed all the field sobriety test first, but smelled of beer.
          He got a ticket, and the officer said it was because his supervisor was in the car. The cop also showed up at the trial, to testify on his behalf.

          Not condoning driving after drinking, just pointing out how it can affect people differently.

          Another friend had an alcoholic uncle. He drank a fifth of Jack every day. When he didn't get his fifth, he was a menace.
          Not even a smile? What's your problem!

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
            Mark Few did the right thing by owning it at 7:00PM tonight. Now its up to the new Gonzaga athletic director or president of Gonzaga to do the right thing and suspend Coach Few for a couple of games. If they let this thing drag out it will only tarnish the reputation of Gonzaga as a whole. Until the suspension announcement is made it will be continued to to be media news, and fodder for the media.

            Coach Few is going to have to show more maturity than he ever imagined on the road games, because he will be taunted non stop. All it will take is one time for Coach Few to loose his cool on the road with a opposing fan and his reputation will go further down the dark hole. Few has lived a charmed life as a successful coach. Few is going to have to have extremely thick skin this year on the road. His character will be tested this year like no other.
            Minimum 4 game suspension. If Perkins is going to get multiple games for falling asleep in his car, a head coach who is the most known representative of your university who was actually operating a vehicle and is a grown adult, should get at least 2 more games

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by kylasdad View Post
              On multiple occasions I have talked with both Mark and Marcy Few in private settings. I have never seen anything that is less than class and humility. They are as good off the camera as they appear on it. As a man who has never knowingly drank a sip of alcohol, I have total compassion for Mark. I have made mistakes in my life But have never been under the microscope like he will be. We all make mistakes and fall short, what separates people is how they respond. I have no doubt that unless there is something deeper going on, that Mark and Marcy will handle this with humility, responsibility, and class.

              Mark Few and Gonzaga have always been willing to give people a second chance. From players within the program that made huge mistakes to transfers who did the same. Mark values repentance and forgiveness and Has offered it to many people. I hope that Mark can not only give it to himself but also that the community and sports world will be kind as well. I assume Mark was one of many who drank a few too many drinks yesterday and didn’t realize it and made a huge mistake. He was probably the one in 100 that got pulled over. Thankfully we are not hearing that it was a fatal accident or anything along those lines.
              Good post.

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by Zagceo View Post
                I'm gonna reserve judgment until more facts are presented.
                Two facts that aren't in question is the location where Coach Few was pulled over, and why. The corner of N 4th St and E Hanley Ave in Dalton Gardens is a low speed limit (25mph) residential neighborhood, with lots of children living there. He was pulled over for erratic driving and speeding in said neighborhood. Another fact not in question is the time he was stopped- 8pm- right at twilight, when MVA's are more likely to occur.

                My level of disappointment in this whole affair is off the charts.

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
                  Minimum 4 game suspension. If Perkins is going to get multiple games for falling asleep in his car, a head coach who is the most known representative of your university who was actually operating a vehicle and is a grown adult, should get at least 2 more games
                  He nearly drove off with police there. That would have constituted two offenses. It was an anomaly for Josh. It’s an anomaly for Few.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by zagitup View Post
                    Two facts that aren't in question is the location where Coach Few was pulled over, and why. The corner of N 4th St and E Hanley Ave in Dalton Gardens is a low speed limit (25mph) residential neighborhood, with lots of children living there. He was pulled over for erratic driving and speeding in said neighborhood. Another fact not in question is the time he was stopped- 8pm- right at twilight, when MVA's are more likely to occur.

                    My level of disappointment in this whole affair is off the charts.
                    I live very near that area, there are also a TON of deer roaming around the streets all times of the day. He could’ve been swerving those as well.

                    Let’s not jump to conclusions.

                    Also, not very many children any longer. Too expensive for young families to own a home in Dalton.

                    Comment


                    • The legal process will take time and GU unlikely to impose a sanction while it is ongoing. Wouldn’t be surprised if suspensions were handed down and served after WCC games start. Unless he pleads guilty immediately.

                      DUI penalties in Idaho not as severe as in WA-30 day license suspension, drug & alcohol evaluation, suspended jail w/first offense.

                      ZZ

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by zagitup View Post
                        Two facts that aren't in question is the location where Coach Few was pulled over, and why. The corner of N 4th St and E Hanley Ave in Dalton Gardens is a low speed limit (25mph) residential neighborhood, with lots of children living there. He was pulled over for erratic driving and speeding in said neighborhood. Another fact not in question is the time he was stopped- 8pm- right at twilight, when MVA's are more likely to occur.
                        Zagitup, I have to respectfully disagree with one point and it is one of symantics. While it is fact that he as "pulled over for eratic driving", whether or not he was driving erratically is subjective (as an engineer, I hate subjectivity). What is erratic driving? I have been told by cops and lawyers that it is not illegal to swerve all over the place as long as you do not exit the boundaries of your lane. Was he swerving to miss a squirrel? Was he temporarily blinded by the setting sun? Did he think that he saw a deer at the edge of the road? Potholes? Manhole covers? I would even add that a highly respected lawyer once told me, "that only a drunk person would drive in a straight line on the roads around here".

                        When confronted with similar situations, Mark has always applied solutions justly and with upmost compassion. People were not given a free pass, but offered forgiveness along with expectations. IF the person was remorseful and met the expectations, the incident became a part of the past with little bearing on the future. Mark has set the example and he deserves to "get" as good as he has "given". Everybody just needs to sit back, take a breath, and wait for the details to emerge.

                        Comment


                        • I'm sure most of us are happy not to jump to conclusions over this, but Mark Few's statement seems to move us past the semantics of what is erratic driving or not. While it's indeed subjective, I trust that patrol officers know it when they see it.
                          Krozman
                          GU student 1996-2000
                          Law Student 2000-2003

                          Comment


                          • He'll correct himself and do the right thing. No one was hurt. He had a few too many. Had he waited an hour or two before driving he'd probably be within the legal limit. No need to suspend the guy from his own program for even a single game. Learn the lesson, take your licks, eat a slice of humble pie, pay the fine, do the community service, get back to winning ball games.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by CB4 View Post
                              He'll correct himself and do the right thing. No one was hurt. He had a few too many. Had he waited an hour or two before driving he'd probably be within the legal limit. No need to suspend the guy from his own program for even a single game. Learn the lesson, take your licks, eat a slice of humble pie, pay the fine, do the community service, get back to winning ball games.
                              Glad Few has already publicly acknowledged the incident, apologized and owned the need to earn back the trust of his players, program etc.
                              I think he will actually insist on suspension for some number of games if the university doesn’t make that decision. Anything less would be embarrassing considering aforementioned suspension of Perkins, who was not driving just sleeping UI.
                              Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by SunDevilGolfZag View Post
                                Seems like a good place to lock the thread
                                Oh yea, that’ll work.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X