Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps now people can allow themselves to take a break from the hand-wringing

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, he hasn't even had this settled in court yet, has he? Of course, Few and his attorneys probably have a pretty good idea of how this will play out, but a suspension prior to the outcome? It does seem a bit suspicious (for lack of a better word). Of course, being an employee (who's NOT REQUIRED TO DRIVE btw) it could reasonably be argued that the university wouldn't be taking any action against him at all if he weren't a public figure.

Comment

Originally posted by zag buddy View Post
        My God it's over the top. We have a legal system with penalties for such incidents. what have we all become!!!! I think I live in a world of wusses these days. How many nights have you all driven while drinking? In my case I could say many hundreds of times. Total the number who read this board and a million times wouldn't be out of line. Who's life could withstand such scrutiny? Oh Yeh, we didn't get caught. I would like to see this WOKE society spend more time on judging themselves and less time on judging others. What happened to forgiveness!!!!!, Lesson learned I'm sure. Get on with life. You can focus on happiness and joy or you can focus on shet. It won't say anything about Mark Few, but it will say a whole lot about you. Rant over.
        That's the exact mindset that needs to end in this world, which is the indifference over not just the consequences of your actions. but the increased potential consequences of your actions.
        Krozman
        GU student 1996-2000
        Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

Respectfully, I suspect less than 1% of the fans who agree with this punishment or who don’t think the 2nd exhibition game was set in order to add an “event” just to suspend Few from another “event” would keep that opinion if this exact situation were Coach K, Calipari, or Jay Wright.

His 911 call was made by a fire chief who was trailing him in broad daylight where he almost hit 3 street signs then twice tested blood alcohol levels 1-2 recent stiff drinks above the legal amount.

In my view, suspending him for a single ranked opponent would be a more fitting punishment than 4 nonserious events.

Comment

"K" I posted an opinion and I,m attacked - surprise, surprise. Is Free Speech dead? If everybody agrees you get no change. With differing opinions you may get a lot of change. I would venture to guess on an individual level I have done more good than most. Apparently you don'[t know me and you are making a lot of invalid assumptions. Principles before personalities my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by zag buddy View Post
              "K" I posted an opinion and I,m attacked - surprise, surprise. Is Free Speech dead? If everybody agrees you get no change. With differing opinions you may get a lot of change. I would venture to guess on an individual level I have done more good than most. Apparently you don'[t know me and you are making a lot of invalid assumptions. Principles before personalities my friend.
              I wasn't attacking you, I was attacking the ideology behind your thinking. There is a difference. Moreover, I welcome your comment even if I believe it's exactly what's wrong with this world when it comes to this subject. You will not find me asking for mods to suppress your speech.
              Krozman
              GU student 1996-2000
              Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

Mark Few should be judged the same an anyone else on this board. Equal justice under the law. We would go thru the legal hoops and learn from it. It is an unfortunate situation for him, we hope he learns from it. With anyone of us we acknowledge it and move on We only have a very small part of the picture of that incident, therefore judging would not be correct. I am inclined not to castigate others without the full picture.

Comment

Originally posted by krozman View Post
                  I wasn't attacking you, I was attacking the ideology behind your thinking. There is a difference. Moreover, I welcome your comment even if I believe it's exactly what's wrong with this world when it comes to this subject. You will not find me asking for mods to suppress your speech.
                  I’m not sure why everything has to be a conspiracy theory. You honestly think the AD and Few got together and decided on a four event suspension but sought to add two additional exhibition games so he could coach against Texas? It couldn’t be that this team has a ton of new parts or that fans are desperate to see them in action regardless of the opponent?

Can we stop with using the term “ideology”. It was an opinion, one that someone could find fault with and argue but not a philosophy or belief system that a healthy percentage of people ascribe to. Few has a responsibility to the program, university, and community. He showed poor judgement for someone in his position and should be held to a higher standard and be under more scrutiny than the 9-5er who goes out after work and drives home over the legal limit. There, I argued against the guy who thinks that if you’ve ever driven home drunk and were lucky enough to not get caught then you have no reason to question Few’s decision making or the consequences he’s now receiving.

Comment

I am very curious if any GU employee, Coach/trainer, professor, Dean or Administration personnel has ever had a DUI ... and if so, what was his/her "penalty" from the school (over and above any Legal System penalty)?
                    sigpic
                    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                    ——-
                    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

Personal note to K. My ideology is formed by my values which is who I am. So it was a personal attack on me. By the way I haven't had a drink in 40 years. OK, I'm putting the mouse down and slowly walking away from the computer. I'm done.

Comment

HEY. It’s nothing!! Or should we go for another 20 pages again?? See how well that turned out last time? It sucked and nothing was settled. Not then and not NOW . Season is nearing but go for 20 pages!! I hear a “scab pickers” training course is in town this weekend! Lolol

Comment

My thoughts.

1. Just because everyone else does something that is wrong doesn’t make it right. I think we all know that.

2. While it seems reasonable for the school to hinge it’s penalty on the legal outcome, it is not a requirement. The school is well within its rights to determine its own penalties and disciplinary actions for employee misconduct.

3. This suspension seems reasonable to me and fits within the framework of progressive discipline where penalties increase if needed. Not needed in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                          - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

Well, so far we have someone that believes the rest of us are "deaf, dumb and blind" if we don't agree with him. We have someone that thinks this whole thing is no big deal because he's endangered people's lives in the same way a thousand times. And we have someone that wants everyone to shut up because it offends his sensibilities.

Wanna know what I think? Probably not. Too bad.

I love the Gonzaga story in general and the Mark Few story in particular. This "consequence " and the way it has been handled is a joke. It is wholly inadequate for the face of the university to receive a "tsk, tsk" for putting people's lives in danger. Releasing the news on a college football Saturday to mitigate attention blows as well.

Few is the highest profile person in his community. He should be held to a higher standard than anyone else in that community because if he gets off lightly, the rest of the community will be justified in saying driving impaired and risking killing someone is no big deal.

I love Mark Few. I love the good he has done in his community and across the country. But, all of that doesn't excuse him for putting people in danger of losing their lives. If you have known someone that was killed because of a drunk driver, I'm betting you would think a much harsher penalty would be appropriate.

Mark and the University will survive this and that's a good thing. That doesn't stop some of us from being disappointed in what has transpired so far.

Comment

From one point of view at least, closing the threads on Few is not eliminating free speech and discussion (especially when disagreements have remained mostly civil). Why? Because as I said before this topic is too big to shut down - when a new bit of news occurs another thread will open. So we can all read one thread or many stop and start threads. I wouldn't believe it if someone said this topic would not be one of the biggest we have had in years. Too many care, too many people want to discuss, need to discuss, and hear the thoughts of others. Censorship on this topic is over-control in my opinion, especially if closed in the name of 'protecting' Few; we are all wanting to protect him, every post on this topic has shown interest in respect for him and care for him, with differences of opinion only on smaller matters degree of consequences, etc. It would not be natural if we didn't have hundreds of posters who care a lot and have lots of opinions. The only opinion I don't like in here is wanting to ban people from going to the agora (plaza where Ancient Greeks met to discuss all topics) cuz when they do, people will continue discussing it, and agora will be opened again.
                              To repeat, those who do not enjoy reading threads on this topic can solve their problem by doing something they would rather do, rather than trying to put duct tape on the mouths of others who want to keep discussing.
                              Obviously my comments are all about process, and IMHO that's always a good topic when needed in a community of people with common goals.

Comment

"I have had a month to reflect on the regretful decisions I made on Sept. 6," Few said in a statement Saturday. "I again offer my sincere apology and I remain committed to learning from this mistake. As a consequence of my error in judgment, I will not be present at Kraziness in the Kennel and the first three games of our season. I know this impacts our student-athletes and the coaching staff as we begin the season. I understand the severity of my actions and am sorry for the impact this consequence has on our team. Thank you again to those who have supported me, my family, and our program throughout this process."
                                https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-in-september/

Comment

Working...
                                X