Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting/Concerning/Mind-boggling stat on Julian Strawther last year...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Strawther can match Ayayi's production in some way I think this team will be really special. I am currently biased in my thought that I see Strawther playing a lot of minutes

Comment

I'm not worried about Strawther's passing at all. Most times when he was playing he was probably the top scoring option anyway. When he's out among all of the other starters I expect he'll share more!

Comment

woohoo
        I agree this stat is an anomaly, i am surprised by it too. I know you are not criticizing.
        with kispert and ayayi gone, and esp. if/when he starts a lot of games and more playing time his assists will rise. He is a gun, like ZN (zach norvell) and Cory K who averaged 2-3 assists per game, esp. per 40 min, and I expect Julian's assists will rise to that level.
        He will learn that as a shooter, defenders will give him more attention, which opens up nearby team-mates. If he is slow on this uptake, coaches will help him. Most shooters (perhaps ammo asked to be an exception) help the team a lot with finding open guys (like lebron james).
        pull your white flag down and climb out of the foxhole, we love you

Comment

After the scrimmage and Iwas thinking about Strawther, and wondering what Zag hereminded me of, I kept thinking about Adam Morrison. I don't remember Adam making a lot of assists either. Adam was 6'8, Strawther 6'7".

Go Zags!
          Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
            woohoo
            I agree this stat is an anomaly, i am surprised by it too. I know you are not criticizing.
            with kispert and ayayi gone, and esp. if/when he starts a lot of games and more playing time his assists will rise. He is a gun, like ZN (zach norvell) and Cory K who averaged 2-3 assists per game, esp. per 40 min, and I expect Julian's assists will rise to that level.
            He will learn that as a shooter, defenders will give him more attention, which opens up nearby team-mates. If he is slow on this uptake, coaches will help him. Most shooters (perhaps ammo asked to be an exception) help the team a lot with finding open guys (like lebron james).
            pull your white flag down and climb out of the foxhole, we love you
            Good post/info! Love it.

And thank you. I woke up at 3am in a cold sweat last night, thinking GU boards will judge me for this post. ��
            Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
              Strawther’s passing looked pretty good at Kraziness.
              Did it? That’s a great sign!
              Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                After the scrimmage and Iwas thinking about Strawther, and wondering what Zag hereminded me of, I kept thinking about Adam Morrison. I don't remember Adam making a lot of assists either. Adam was 6'8, Strawther 6'7".
                Adam's assist numbers weren't that bad:

Comment

Assists are like offensive rebounds. When your team is getting a lot of offensive rebounds thet are missing shots. Assists are controlled by if someone is open and them making the shot.

Last season would the defender leave Kispert or Timme to double Strawthers? I doubt it. Did he have the green light from Few to shoot when open? Did the coaches want him to drive and dish?

This season will be much different. He will be on the floor more and into the flow. I expect great things from him with defenders dealing with Chet and Drew.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
                    Did it? That’s a great sign!
                    It was a good observation. It wasn’t a part of his game previously. It will need to be going forward, even if he was a primary scoring option. The coaches will require it. Even Ammo, who was a special breed of scorer, had 2 assists per game.

Comment

Can't draw any conclusions from stats in garbage time playin w/ deep bench players and walkons.

Comment

Straw is not Ammo. Please don’t put that on him.

Comment

This made me think about something.

When have we ever had a player who was a black hole on offense? Someone who just didn't pass the ball?

I feel like a player like that just wouldn't be put on the floor in Mark Few's offense. I've never really had that feeling about anyone and I've been a fan since the early 2000's.
                          "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
                          -Zach Norvell Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyzag View Post
                            This made me think about something.

When have we ever had a player who was a black hole on offense? Someone who just didn't pass the ball?

I feel like a player like that just wouldn't be put on the floor in Mark Few's offense. I've never really had that feeling about anyone and I've been a fan since the early 2000's.
                            Petrusev

Comment

Originally posted by northsidezagfan View Post
                              Petrusev
                              Yeah.

The WCC POY could have had more assists.
                              sigpic
                              “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                              ——-
                              List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                              Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
                                Yeah.

The WCC POY could have had more assists.
                                I mean he was a good player, but no doubt a ball hog.

According to sports-reference.com he is one of 2 starters (the other being Jr year Olynyk) with a usage percentage > 30% as far back as they track it (2006-2007). Conveniently don’t have jr year Morrison, but the point still stands.

So Filip was literally more likely that any Gonzaga starter in the last 15 years to end a possession with a shot, turnover, or be fouled (aka not a pass).

And KO had an assist percentage >50% more than Petrusev in his high-usage season.

Comment

Working...
                                X