Fanning The Flames - Big East Expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    Would be very interesting to see what shakes out. As far as BBall goes, it would be a relatively easy decision, it's all the other sports that complicate things.

Only thing I would miss is getting to see some Zag games in SoCal...but that could all be irrelevant if I move back to NC.
    I am working things out to move back to the western end, somewhere in that 4 corner conjunction, hopefully before Christmas.
    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

Originally posted by HenneZag View Post
      Man, a dream conference. I think logistics for Basketball would get worked out. With that said, I don't see how we can navigate these waters with all other sports. Geographically I really can't make sense of it.
      Men's baseball and Women's volleyball are the only two of the eight sports that don't have a corresponding team of the opposite sex. If the other six sports could fly both teams back on the same flight, that would help.
      Spokane to LA is 2 1/2 hrs flight time, Spokane to Chicago (centralized for several of the BE schools) is 3 1/2 hours, to Newark is about 6 hours, so that would be the flight that really added on...but if each flight back played 2 of the schools, it would be six flights per season, per sport. Maybe some of the same season sports could even double up, 2 teams on each side so 4 teams all together...or maybe not. I'm not in logistics.
      Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

from message board someone playing it out

Val to FOX - What can you do to make this work?
        FOX to Val - Increased payouts and travel subsidies.
        Everyone - Deal.

Comment

Hmmm...

I wonder what, if any, physiological and/or psychological effects those long flights (to and fro) would accumulatively have on team play. And how many times they'd have to take that long haul. (Maybe for each waaay-east trip, they could do a 3-game schedule -- like Thursday/Saturday/Tuesday -- thus cutting a couple waaay-east trips per season.)

The surprise fact from the article (to me) is that Zags Women's b-ball would instantly be the Big East's second best program. Playing bigger name schools in both men's and women's b-ball is enticing.

Zags recruiting has gradually risen and risen over time. Being able to add to an already attractive b-ball reputation (i.e. Big East affiliation) might push recruitment regularly into the Duke/North Carolina/Kentucky stratosphere. Would maybe boost our meager Seattle recruitment.

Would miss playing our WCC partners but, wow, playing a full schedule of Big East schools would be fun; and, of course, we could still schedule Saint Mary's, for instance, in our OOC.

Of course, not every trip east means East Coast...

Butler -- Indianapolis
          Creighton -- Omaha
          DePaul -- Chicago
          Xavier -- Cincinnati
          Marquette -- Milwaukee
          -------
          Georgetown -- Washington, D.C.
          Providence -- Rhode Island
          Seton Hall -- New Jersey
          St. John's -- Queens, NY
          Villanova -- Philadelphia

Still, those are long flights, which takes me back to the physiological/psychological effects. Would hate to be disadvantaged, lose close games off those effects.

:]
          Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

Originally posted by Kiddwell View Post

Still, those are long flights, which takes me back to the physiological/psychological effects. Would hate to be disadvantaged, lose close games off those effects.

My flights in economy to Florida are long flights.
            My flights to Florida in first class are private time where I finish up work, catch up on some reading, or take a nap.

Good accommodations make all the difference.
            Ihre Papiere bitte

Comment

Originally posted by tinfoilzag View Post
              My flights in economy to Florida are long flights.
              My flights to Florida in first class are private time where I finish up work, catch up on some reading, or take a nap.

Good accommodations make all the difference.
              Thanks for the insight.

Comment

In the list above, the upper schools wouldn’t be overly challenging in terms of distance. I’ve done all of them from Spokane. Really not a lot more than a round trip to LA.
                When needed, ( mom got sick)I used to leave Spokane at 6am. Work by 930 and be on a plane coming back at 8 pm. Like the guys do now except they sit for a day when playing LMU. Remember those teams come to us half the time. Just a thought.

Comment

Thanks for the insight.

I'm glad it came through because you made it sound like riding in a chartered jet has negative physiological/psychological effects on players. The ones I have talked to enjoy the trips.
                  Ihre Papiere bitte

Comment

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                    In the list above, the upper schools wouldn’t be overly challenging in terms of distance. I’ve done all of them from Spokane.
                    What means of conveyance? Wagon train?

Comment

Telling comment about Memphis. I guess it’s an open secret that Penny cheats. But with their academics, what’s the harm? They are ranked 249th among national universities by USNews

Comment

Originally posted by tinfoilzag View Post
                        I'm glad it came through because you made it sound like riding in a chartered jet has negative physiological/psychological effects on players. The ones I have talked to enjoy the trips.
                        Thanks. I'm thinking of the physical effects of being cooped up in a small space. Muscle, joints, and similar. Plus, the guys's conference trips on a chartered jet, so far, have been short trips compared to flying to Washington, Philly, and similar.

Comment

Seems like it has a chance. Definitely worth trying to figure out.

Comment

Thanks. I'm thinking of the physical effects of being cooped up in a small space. Muscle, joints, and similar. Plus, the guys's conference trips on a chartered jet, so far, have been short trips compared to flying to Washington, Philly, and similar.

Echo tin man. Economy is no fun. Business class is marginally better. First class is a different experience. Now, I’m not 7-foot. How does the GU jet compare? Comfy for the big guys?

Comment

For 100% personal reasons… need this to happen so I can see the zags in person every year
                              "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

I, too, was doubtful about the geographical remoteness for teams other than basketball. Then I remembered looking into schedules for both men's crew and golf. I remembered neither has a traditional conference schedule and would not need to travel the same as the basketball team. Cross country, tennis plus track and field do not either have the same type of conference schedule. I am not so sure the geographical remoteness is the hurdle I first thought.
                                "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
                                "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
                                I am monitoring the price of a donut

Comment

Working...
                                X