No announcement yet.

Coach Few DUI Sentencing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first minute or so of the dashcam video was pretty bad and that was basis of the call for cops. Not a slow night at all seeing somebody drive like that should have been called in. His original interaction with cop set the tone, refusing to exit the vehicle, continuing to put his hands in is pockets. Many places those actions would have resulted in being placed in cuffs and being charged. The police officer was out of line for the hat thing, but was not out of line for asking the questions. An attorney could clarify but I think he needed more probable cause to arrest then then an eyewitness report, which he got when Few admitted to drinking. Bottom line is Few was impaired. That being said I applaud him even more for taking his lumps and pleading guilty. I would bet he could have thrown a little money at this and had it dropped down to a lesser charge. These videos being released is just the same old scandal hit piece that feeds our media today.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
      Must be a slow news day. Yardbarker posted a hit piece today. I simply don’t get it, the case has been adjudicated, why keep bringing it up?
      It’s gonna happen. He is a public figure and what he does is the news. We (and he) will have to put up with it and we will weather it.

It will pop up periodically over the season as various commentators try to show off their intimacy with the program and we will all rightfully shake our heads and roll our eyes.

C’est le vie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
      - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

Agree the cop came off as a jacka$$ but didnt he blow over the limit? Mark was also non compliant--- asking many times to call his attorney which is in fact not how it works, and also kept going into his pockets about 10 times, pulling out his phone after cop told him not to.... not to go all political here, but if it was a "suspicious" looking fellow going into his pocket to grab his phone, some bad stuff could have happened.

His behavior wasnt as bad as reports were; his behavior is still not acceptable or okay from a leading figure at a Private Catholic institution.

Comment

Coach Few was clearly decently buzzed where driving should not have been an option. He wasn’t nearly as belligerent as the initial reports suggest, but he wasn’t entirely cooperative as well. The hands in the pocket looked like a nervous tick. He looked and acted like he had just had 4-5 drinks(possibly more over a longer period of time), and should’ve waited a bit longer to drive. As a professional bartender, I won’t serve someone more than 3 drinks if I know they are driving. It’s just not worth the possible consequences beyond any legal ramifications. The potential for loss of life or permanent injuries is just too great, and the potential for that to happen to innocent people is even more horrifying to think about.

Yes, I know there is a sense of protection some feel they need to express for Coach, but he has accepted punishment and is in the process of making amends in this situation. I’m proud of the way he has handled this situation, but still a bit disappointed he made the bad decision to drive in the first place. He is human though, and I’ll keep rooting for him. This whole fiasco brought back a lot of memories from when I was 19 and saw my dad after he had been in a single car drunken car accident. He now has prosthetic legs. While Coach may have made it back to Spokane safely, a DUI is much better than the worst alternatives.
          The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
            Agree the cop came off as a jacka$$ but didnt he blow over the limit? Mark was also non compliant--- asking many times to call his attorney which is in fact not how it works, and also kept going into his pockets about 10 times, pulling out his phone after cop told him not to.... not to go all political here, but if it was a "suspicious" looking fellow going into his pocket to grab his phone, some bad stuff could have happened.

His behavior wasnt as bad as reports were; his behavior is still not acceptable or okay from a leading figure at a Private Catholic institution.
            That is incorrect. You absolutely have a right to consult an attorney before deciding on a breath test, blood test, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
              That is incorrect. You absolutely have a right to consult an attorney before deciding on a breath test, blood test, etc.
              "While it is true you have the right to an attorney when facing criminal charges, you can only invoke this right under certain circumstances. If you are pulled over on suspicion of a DUI, in most cases the officer will begin the process by asking a few questions. This commences the DUI investigation, but you do not yet have the right to an attorney. You may be asked to take a roadside sobriety test or complete a blood alcohol concentration, or BAC, test. Until you are arrested, however, you do not have the right to speak with an attorney during the process."

https://www.martenslawfirm.com/blog/...-during-a-dui-

Comment

"While it is true you have the right to an attorney when facing criminal charges, you can only invoke this right under certain circumstances. If you are pulled over on suspicion of a DUI, in most cases the officer will begin the process by asking a few questions. This commences the DUI investigation, but you do not yet have the right to an attorney. You may be asked to take a roadside sobriety test or complete a blood alcohol concentration, or BAC, test. Until you are arrested, however, you do not have the right to speak with an attorney during the process."

https://www.martenslawfirm.com/blog/...-during-a-dui-
                You don’t have a right to speak to an attorney during the course of initial dialogue and questioning. You do have a right to an attorney in WA state prior to taking any test. I assume the same is true in Idaho, but haven’t looked it up in legal resources. This was not clearly explained to Few when he initially requested speaking to an attorney.

Comment

This is an interesting read about "Getting A DUI" at least in the State of Washington:

Getting A DUI.

Comment

Originally posted by daskim View Post
                    This is an interesting read about "Getting A DUI" at least in the State of Washington:

Getting A DUI.
                    It was in Idaho.

What struck me as 'off' about the cop was that he seemed to not have a clue who Mark Few is. Even a non sports person would hear the talk around the station about the Zags.
                    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

Originally posted by daskim View Post

Getting A DUI.
                      Yep. Asking to speak to an attorney is recommended throughout.

Comment

Yeah, on the whole the vid paints a better, more favorable picture of Few than the early reports did with one glaring exception. First he lied saying he had not been drinking then lied again claiming “one or two beers 4 hours ago.” That was dumb knowing they got video rolling.
                        Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

I see the armchair lawyers are out in force.

I am a lawyer, I interned for the Spokane County Prosecutor, and for the Federal Defender, then worked as a white collar defense attorney, and am on my city’s police foundation board. While “cooperation” is subjective, he was far from what most cops would call uncooperative. His repeated hands in his pockets wasn’t a good look, but remember the cop ran the plates, so he knows the registered owner’s history before he makes the stop (or several minutes before the officer made visual contact with his truck if the fire department called in the plates), and I’m sure he didn’t think Few was a threat. My guess is the officer was annoyed he had to keep giving the order, and the frisk was to make Few understand the gravity of the situation he was in more than for fear of his own safety.

As to Idaho DUI investigations, I can’t speak to that.
                          Originally posted by Reborn
                          Go Zags!!!
                          Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                            It was in Idaho.
                            Hence, the phrase "at least in the State of Washington."

I lived in CDA for years, and was a prosecuting attorney in Spokane. The general principles set forth in that article apply with equal force in both states.

Comment

Originally posted by zagdontzig View Post
                              I see the armchair lawyers are out in force.

I am a lawyer, I interned for the Spokane County Prosecutor, and for the Federal Defender, then worked as a white collar defense attorney, and am on my city’s police foundation board. While “cooperation” is subjective, he was far from what most cops would call uncooperative. His repeated hands in his pockets wasn’t a good look, but remember the cop ran the plates, so he knows the registered owner’s history before he makes the stop (or several minutes before the officer made visual contact with his truck if the fire department called in the plates), and I’m sure he didn’t think Few was a threat. My guess is the officer was annoyed he had to keep giving the order, and the frisk was to make Few understand the gravity of the situation he was in more than for fear of his own safety.

As to Idaho DUI investigations, I can’t speak to that.
                              Completely disagree with your view of purpose of frisk……is to ensure no firearms or weapons present PERIOD…..Mypatrol partners father was MURDERED by his next door neighbor on a “simple” DWI arrest and failure to frisk to make scene safe……..basic police 101 has nothing to do with being “annoyed”
                              Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Comment

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                                It was in Idaho.

What struck me as 'off' about the cop was that he seemed to not have a clue who Mark Few is. Even a non sports person would hear the talk around the station about the Zags.
                                I call BS on that.
                                America's Team!

Comment

Working...
                                X