After watching the Texas game. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daskim View Post
    More confident. Feel they can play (and win) against anyone.

The biggest wild card is Holmgren. He is definitely a huge factor in any game. Just not certain what that factor will be as the season progresses.
    Strawther is a big wild card also. He has that 3point shot. That will be a very important to open up the inside game. He is also big enough to help on the boards. What he brings to the game is just as important as what Chet brings. If Watson has improved as much as he appeared against Texas, that would be huge as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
      Far more confident. I'm not worried about March yet, that time frame is weeks (months) away. Let's just get through 2021 first. If we can get past Duke & UCLA, I think we can run the table again. Not worried about Bama or TT at all.
      Don't listen to all the espn duke hype, just watch them play. They are not one of the top teams. Just guard Banchero and you beat duke by 12 to 15. Banchero must be soft because his whole game is perimeter oriented. He doesn't look like he likes contact, so put Watson on him and let him get physcial. I don't think Banchero can handle that. That is just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
        The Zags 3pt shooting and Few’s shrinking the rotation are my only big concerns.
        This. More confident in the team. Their 1st half intensity looked solid, and when running plays, they looked good. Yes, Timme was scoring/finishing, yet the pick n roll plays were a thing of beauty, as were the passes by Rasir and Nembhard. Guys like Strawther went away from the gameplan and offense/system as the game wore on, yet for the most part, when we needed a score, they delivered.

3pt shooting is definitely suspect, yet at least we now can say, "someone beside Bolton to a hit a 3pt shot". Good news as his shot has a feathery touch, great arc too. Maybe not a sure-fire 45% guy, yet we can count on him to hit clutch 3pt shots.

I share the same concern. Coach Few's patented 7 to 7.5 man rotation going forward, and over-playing starters in too long of stretches. Look at opponents and teams in the Top-10 right now. Nearly every one are playing a 8, 9, even 10 man rotation at this point in the season.

Perry and Sallis WILL be needed, and not just in WCC play. We know what they can bring, not to mention keeping them engaged/happy as incoming Top 40 guys. How we didn't utilize Perry size/body vs Texas is beyond me. We were up 18 with 4 mins to go, and needed some fresh legs. A guy to impose his will and play vs their increased intensity and physicality.

We shall see what Coach Few does tonight, especially less than 48 hrs following a big game. Does he play the starters when up 25, 30, 35 points and a few mins left in the game? That was an awfully bad habit last season.

Coach B Mike not only had a wonderful rotation Game 1, yet more importantly, he RESTED guys/starters at opportune times.

Just look how tired Nembhard and Timme looked with 5-10 mins in 2nd half. Neither were given a breather and both were flushed and slowing down at the same time. This is precisely when Texas made a little run, when Timme relaxed a bit due to obvious fatigue. Thank goodness Nolan and Rasir made timely shots during this stretch.

Coach B Mike rotated guys regularly, which Coach Few simply has not done in recent years. As our depth/talent has improved exponentially, it seems his rotations have became tighter, or possibly relying moreso on star talent we've had every year for past 5 yrs or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Therunner View Post
          This. More confident in the team. Their 1st half intensity looked solid, and when running plays, they looked good. Yes, Timme was scoring/finishing, yet the pick n roll plays were a thing of beauty, as were the passes by Rasir and Nembhard. Guys like Strawther went away from the gameplan and offense/system as the game wore on, yet for the most part, when we needed a score, they delivered.

3pt shooting is definitely suspect, yet at least we now can say, "someone beside Bolton to a hit a 3pt shot". Good news as his shot has a feathery touch, great arc too. Maybe not a sure-fire 45% guy, yet we can count on him to hit clutch 3pt shots.

I share the same concern. Coach Few's patented 7 to 7.5 man rotation going forward, and over-playing starters in too long of stretches. Look at opponents and teams in the Top-10 right now. Nearly every one are playing a 8, 9, even 10 man rotation at this point in the season.

Perry and Sallis WILL be needed, and not just in WCC play. We know what they can bring, not to mention keeping them engaged/happy as Top 40 guys.

We shall see what Coach Few does tonight, especially less than 48 hrs following a big game. Does he play the starters when up 25, 30, 35 points and a few mins left in the game? That was an awfully bad habit last season.

Coach B Mike not only had a wonderful rotation Game 1, yet more importantly, he RESTED guys/starters at the opportune time. Look how tired Nembhard and Timme looked with 5-10 mins in 2nd half. Neither were given a breather and were flushed and slowing down. This is EXACTLY when Texas made a little run, when Timme relaxed a bit due to obvious fatigue. Thank goodness Nolan and Rasir made timely shots during this time.

Coach B Mike rotated guys fairly regularly, which Coach Few simply has not done in recent years. As our depth/talent has improved exponentially, it seems his rotations have became tighter, or possibly relying moreso on star talent we've had every year for past 5 yrs or so.
          And calling TO with possession and less than 10 seconds left in the half in a tight game vs a major power.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
            And calling TO with possession and less than 10 seconds left in the half in a tight game vs a major power.
            We were down 18-4 and 4 or 5 uncontested 3pt shots through the net before we called a timeout vs Baylor.

The entire Nation, along with the Announcers, were screaming for a Gonzaga timeout during the Baylor barrage in first 6 mins of that game...

Interestingly, after that 'called' timeout, we pretty much matched them from there on out. They still hit tough shots yet we finally settled in a bit, and didn't looks so shell-shocked, or tired/listless.

It was already too late...down dbl digits in first 6 mins with players playing like their lives depended on it.

Comment

We were down 18-4 and 4 or 5 uncontested 3pt shots through the net before we called a timeout vs Baylor.

The entire Nation, along with the Announcers, were screaming for a Gonzaga timeout during the Baylor barrage in first 6 mins of that game...

Interestingly, after that 'called' timeout, we pretty much matched them from there on out. They still hit tough shots yet we finally settled in a bit, and didn't looks so shell-shocked, or tired/listless.

It was already too late...down dbl digits in first 6 mins with players playing like their lives depended on it.

and to that point ...Beard in the presser said he probably should have used all his time outs in the first few minutes to correct his defense.

Comment

I'll go against the grain and say Im not as confident. Last year the team was amazing, until they weren't. Kispert and Timme got shut down against bigger more athletic teams or at least couldn't defend against them and Andrew played within himself and his role but never really imposed his will on the game (didnt need to when suggs did it naturally...). Strawther cant replace Corey's production although he will get close enough. Bolton and Hickman might both be able to equal Joel's underappreciated game but you really cant combine the two on the court. Yeah I felt better about last year than what we've seen so far. Chet will be fine. He effects the game and while he didnt score, he had five rebounds and a couple blocks and didnt force anything against ta top five team. Timme, Watson, and Nembhard are all a year better/more experienced, but this year is on Few to develop the players, the playing time, the rotations... and I guarantee there will be a seven man rotation by January so the thoughts of a deeper bench dont really pan out.

Comment

I wont be surprised if he does it again as Im guessing the intent is to get the guys to gel together.

Comment

The odd ordeal over our "7 man rotation" in recent years, that's generally reserved for WCC teams in our own conference when they play us, or mid-major teams with lesser talent when they play Power 5 teams.

Or just less-talented teams in general.

You almost never see that in Top-10 type teams, which all go nearly 9 deep. Guys playing at least 12 mins or so.

It hasn't been that way, even though we have better bench guys across the board.

Last year the same thing. Yes, we had elite talent at most every possession, yet we had really good, Top-40 Freshman, and transfers who didn't see much time at all. Look at Cook, or talents like Dom Harris.

I don't get the 7 man rotation every year lately.

Don't care if we are Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Nova, etc.....players like Sallis, Perry, even Gregg are going to get minutes at those schools. 5* kids or close to it. Imagine if Dom Harris was healthy? Heck, would Hickman see any mins? Interesting thought.

And playing/leaving starters in til the end of a blowouts is an odd occurrence by Coach Few in recent years as well.

Comment

And playing/leaving starters in til the end of a blowouts is an odd occurrence by Coach Few in recent years as well.
                      because scoring margin is an important stat in the metrics right now
                      Originally posted by Coach Few
                      We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                        . . .did you come away feeling more confident this year's edition of the Bulldogs was equipped to make a deep run in March ?

I realize UCLA, Duke, Alabama, and Texas Tech will also offer barometers of the season to come. Zags might drop one (two ?) in that time frame. Even if they don't emerge unscathed on 12/30 when the WCC season begins against the Toreros, it looks like the vets and newcomers have the potential to be a remarkable squad.

What's your take ?
                        Yes, very much so...I picked a UT win Saturday after watching us in two of three games...BUT in no way was I expecting Timme to totally DOMINATE in that game and for Chet to have only scored two points with all the floor time he had...good things to come IMO...Don't think Timme will dominate UCLA but also don't think UCLA will score the way they did against Villanova...again jmho

Comment

Some if's for the deep run stuff. If we can get better 3 point production and for my thinking, playing the 7 man is dangerous because we need 8 - 10 to gain some experience and run time when we get in foul trouble. I'll guess that will happen in league play. We need more than one knock down 3 player.
                          Watching Villi and UCLA it stood out that they defend the perimeter much tighter than the Zags do or ever have. We came close when Goss was here. That is also a trait of the historic great teams out east, they play defense right in your grill without fouling.
                          One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

I'll be honest I came away a little underwhelmed. After watching the first few games I was surprised how much some of our players dropped off against a tougher team.

We certainly looked incredibly skilled and balanced against the first few tune up teams, but against Texas we looked like we had only three guys who could excel against real competition (Timme, Bolton, and Nembhard). The rest looked a bit too timid for my taste. I count Holmgren and Strawther among those who I assumed would've really taken it to a team like Texas, but both seemed unable to do what they wanted to on offense. I know he's young, but I expected a lot more from Holmgren, considering how much attention Timme was attracting from the Texas D.

Also I continue to be surprised at how strangely uncomfortable Watson still looks on the offensive side of the court. Maybe that's because I've built him up so much in my head after the first few games of his freshman year, but I feel like he hasn't quite found his niche in the offense. And he doesn't seem to have any clear go-to moves at this stage of his career.

Someone please disagree with me on all fronts and prove me wrong, I'm no expert on the game, just a casual Zag fan.
                            "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
                            -Zach Norvell Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyzag View Post
                              I'll be honest I came away a little underwhelmed. After watching the first few games I was surprised how much some of our players dropped off against a tougher team.

We certainly looked incredibly skilled and balanced against the first few tune up teams, but against Texas we looked like we had only three guys who could excel against real competition (Timme, Bolton, and Nembhard). The rest looked a bit too timid for my taste. I count Holmgren and Strawther among those who I assumed would've really taken it to a team like Texas, but both seemed unable to do what they wanted to on offense. I know he's young, but I expected a lot more from Holmgren, considering how much attention Timme was attracting from the Texas D.

Also I continue to be surprised at how strangely uncomfortable Watson still looks on the offensive side of the court. Maybe that's because I've built him up so much in my head after the first few games of his freshman year, but I feel like he hasn't quite found his niche in the offense. And he doesn't seem to have any clear go-to moves at this stage of his career.

Someone please disagree with me on all fronts and prove me wrong, I'm no expert on the game, just a casual Zag fan.
                              Agree on all above, save Watson.

He only played 19 mins and doesn't play long enough stretches to get comfortable or within the flow of the offense.

However he makes plays, cleans up misses/messes, & plays solid D. Outside 3pt shooting, he keeps shooting like 80% 2pt FG rate since his Frosh season.

If he were allowed more than 5 min stints, I think we'd see him gain some momentum with the ball.

In some ways, I view him as our most important player this season.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyzag View Post

I'll take that challenge.

Strawther - On this one, I KIND of agree with you. Overall, he just needs a bit of tuning & he's going to be fine. The ball tends to stick in his hands more than I'd like & he made some overall decisions I wasn't a big fan of, BUT - experience is the best teacher here, and he seems to have the work ethic to iron this out by mid-season.

Holmgren - Disagree 100%. The fact is, he just didn't have to do much. Texas respected his shot enough to sag off Timme and open up lanes for him on offense, and on D, they avoided the paint almost to a fault when he was on the court. He doesn't need massive stats to be able to create a serious impact on the game. The fouls will dwindle with time.

Watty - also disagree 100%. He's hands-down the best defender on the team, and his offensive rating for that game was 121 (behind 125 for Nembhard). He had 10 points on 3/4 shooting inside the arc, 4-4 free throws, 5 boards, and an assist. That's a great offensive stat line. Combine that with his defensive play, and he's one of the best bench players in the conference - if not the country... (yes - I'm cherry-picking a bit here and ignoring the 3 point shots - I'm holding out hope they start falling, but am not currently in love with them as a whole). I don't think he really needs any "moves," and rather fills his role really well. Is he going to be NBA-ready? Probably not, but seems like a solid euro-league player.

Comment

Working...
                                X