Gonzaga vs Tarleton Your thoughts and Analyses of the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HenneZag View Post
    Yep. And we will make it easy to plan for.
    agreed. 4-19 from deep will not get it done against any collapsing D. 14-24 from the stripe will not get it done when the strategy is to foul inside when the ball does go inside.

Billy G did both and GU responded poorly. Rasir looked like he rushed his 3s, feeling the speed of the defense instead of that collected compact release we've seen so far, for example, same with Straw.

Like others have mentioned, rinse repeat on this strategy until the Zags prove they can punish on the open 3s. May be a game to game thing, and then also a situational one where Zags are dared from deep to test their belief in themselves to make open shots in critical situations.

Billy G can coach basketball. He says he's done with being a jerk and has learned from his jerky past, which is deep. If so, I agree with TexasZagFan about Tarleton's future. we'll see if Billy G has turned his personal demon corner

Comment

Strawther is the best rebounder of any non-big since I started paying attention in the early 2000s.

Comment

Originally posted by zagfan08 View Post
        Strawther is the best rebounder of any non-big since I started paying attention in the early 2000s.
        if he is, he learned it from Joel.

Comment

Originally posted by hooter73 View Post
          if he is, he learned it from Joel.
          Yeah definitely seems like Ayayi rubbed off on him...I feel like he actually said this in an interview at some point?

Comment

Zags played their " C -" game and eked out a "W" against a relentless crew determined to keep it a low possession game.

Tarleton had four days off since their last game against Michigan (11/24) and appeared to have fresher legs. They had 8 steals, forced 16 TO's overall, and were aggressive and quick from the opening tip.

I expect we'll see more of that style of play from Zag opponents as the season advances.

GU's 58% FT shooting (14-24) was well below their season average of 71%.
            The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

I get it, the offense had trouble. But what concerns me most is that even with so much depth this year, our perimeter defensive plan is s o f t.

Give Sallis and Gregg time on the floor to pressure the ball and create some steals and fast break opportunities. Get in their grills.

Comment

I honestly think a lot of credit needs to be given to Tarleton. I think before the game, nearly every one of us were showing them very little respect and expecting a 30+ point blowout. I think Tarleton came in, and probably because of the schedule they've already played, was not intimidated in the least. The Zags had too many turnovers, but I think that was due just as much to the play of Tarleton as it was to sloppy play on the Zags' part. They were in their face all night long and never backed down.

I think this was an important game this early in the season. I wish they could find more teams like Tarleton who can put up a fight and give them a real game, without necessarily being a top 5 or top 10 team. A game with real game pressure, but not so much the "all eyes are you" pressure that comes with playing Duke, Texas, etc. I know they're being told this, but they need to be shown that any given team on any given night can beat them. It will definitely make it easier for the coaches to get the message through.
                My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

Comment

Originally posted by scrooner View Post
                  I get it, the offense had trouble. But what concerns me most is that even with so much depth this year, our perimeter defensive plan is s o f t.

Give Sallis and Gregg time on the floor to pressure the ball and create some steals and fast break opportunities. Get in their grills.
                  Gregg shows the ability to create turnovers. It can create a problem getting out of position on D and cheap fouls. Ask Anton how being to handsy going for steals goes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I've read alot of comments. I agree, give Tarleton credit. With that said the effort was atrocious. Lazy passes, and no flow. I think teams are figuring out how to play us, How to play Timme etc. The 3 point shooting has been crap all year and teams can pack the box. A bit Jekyl and Hyde.
                    America's Team!

Comment

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                      Zags played their " C -" game and eked out a "W" against a relentless crew determined to keep it a low possession game.

Tarleton had four days off since their last game against Michigan (11/24) and appeared to have fresher legs. They had 8 steals, forced 16 TO's overall, and were aggressive and quick from the opening tip.

I expect we'll see more of that style of play from Zag opponents as the season advances.

GU's 58% FT shooting (14-24) was well below their season average of 71%.
                      A “c,” huh? Must be the grade inflation we’re seeing at schools. “C” used to be average or satisfactory.

Comment

Yep, if you body up and create pressure you are going to have more fouls. You are also going to make them second guess every pass just like we did resulting in poor offense and more turnovers. If Gregg and Sallis foul out, so what? We didn't even use them.

Tartleton St showed what an undersized and outgunned team can do to one of the best teams in the country by simply employing a defense style that we think we can't use because it's going to somehow get us into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
                          A “c,” huh? Must be the grade inflation we’re seeing at schools. “C” used to be average or satisfactory.
                          Barttorvik graded our game a "75" out of 100.

https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Gonzaga&year=2022

Incidentally, you can see that our turnover percentage defense has taken a turn for the worse. Here are the percentages of possessions where we've created a turnover on defense over the last 8 games:

Comment

58% from the line
                            21% from 3 (without Chet, 2 for 16)
                            16 turnovers (6 from offensive fouls)

These games are great if we can win them because they style is so hard to simulate in practice. I would expect the same game plan from Alabama and TT. Making your 3's early in the game really hurts teams that want to play late in the shot clock to kill the tempo of the game. Chet needs to let fly like Banchero when teams want to pack it in IMO.
                            Ihre Papiere bitte

Comment

Originally posted by tinfoilzag View Post
                              58% from the line
                              21% from 3 (without Chet, 2 for 16)
                              16 turnovers (6 from offensive fouls)

These games are great if we can win them because they style is so hard to simulate in practice. I would expect the same game plan from Alabama and TT. Making your 3's early in the game really hurts teams that want to play late in the shot clock to kill the tempo of the game. Chet needs to let fly like Banchero when teams want to pack it in IMO.
                              As I said, it’s Holmgren’s team for the asking. Few has to endorse that.

Comment

Originally posted by scrooner View Post
                                Barttorvik graded our game a "75" out of 100.

https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Gonzaga&year=2022

Incidentally, you can see that our turnover percentage defense has taken a turn for the worse. Here are the percentages of possessions where we've created a turnover on defense over the last 8 games:

If you use the average ncaa team as your baseline. If your baseline is the number 3 ranked team it’s a solid F

Comment

Working...
                                X