Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we missing Tommy?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    - right on DZ
    - this game (and the last 3) are a wake up call. gu has a lot to fix and may need another 15 or 20 games to get it fixed.
    - presently this team could not advance past the sweet 16. too many good teams out there with superior scoring guards and strong interior defenses.

    Comment


    • #17
      Where was Few??? One can only wonder!!!!

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by zagfan08 View Post
        I don’t think we have all that much talent to be honest. Who can beat their man 1 on 1 in the half court for a bucket? Who can make a 3 with consistency? Our system can get us a bunch of good looks but at some point we need individual playmaking and it’s just absent. We’ll put up a bunch of points but when we need to score (last 6 minutes against Duke and Alabama) we can’t manufacture enough quality looks.
        Nolan Hickman

        Comment


        • #19
          How many one and one's did we miss. Lots of front end one's too. Watson has no confidence to create a shot and he can't move his feet to stop a drive, Timme - Where was he? Too many dribbles as soon as we catch the ball instead of looking for the pass first. Totally disappointed with tonight's showcase event. A whole lot of work on fundamentals resulting in improvement this team has to do to compete. Yes, we miss Tommy.

          Comment


          • #20
            It’s foolish to think losing such an asset causes no harm.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by katman50 View Post
              No, not missing Tommy. Missing Kispert and Ayayi.
              Exactly

              Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

              Comment


              • #22
                We are fundamentally unsound and that is troubling. I'm not sure how much impact or influence TL may have had with this crew.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Alabama shot very well in the first half and answered the Zags' runs in the second. Alabama has two scorers and the rest of the team is opportunistic. They seemed to have unlimited fouls to give, and played like. There was a lot of grabbing and bumping out there. On the offensive end, I don't know if they had one possession that they didn't use a moving screen.

                  Meanwhile, the Zags forced a lot more passes than normal and took more bad shots than they typically do. A few made free throws or a 3s would have put some game pressure on Alabama. They almost folded, but hit back-to-back 3s at the end to distance themselves and ultimately put the Zags away.

                  I credit Alabama for playing well. I really don't like their offense and don't see them beating multiple good teams in a row in the tournament.

                  Chet needs to hit 1-2 threes a game if he is going to shoot for of them every game. It really hurt against Duke and Alabama.

                  Hickman almost was the hero this game, If they Zags had one, I would have credited him for that.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Just pressure the heck out of Nemby right at the start of the game and the rhythm and flow of the offense is off. That UCLA game he just controlled the flow, he knocked down shots and got to the basket under control he looked like a world beater also had a lot more room to operate. These last three games look like the Baylor game. Alabama just to much speed on defense never any clear lanes guards have to fight through traffic and can't finish. 13 missed free throws is awful. If we do so many things below average something has to be outstanding and it wasn't.
                    So many expectations this year. I guess patience is required with all the new pieces. I dont think 2 losses in the non confrence was totally unexpected with that schedule but it doesn't make it any easier when your watching it unfold.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
                      Just pressure the heck out of Nemby right at the start of the game and the rhythm and flow of the offense is off. That UCLA game he just controlled the flow, he knocked down shots and got to the basket under control he looked like a world beater also had a lot more room to operate. These last three games look like the Baylor game. Alabama just to much speed on defense never any clear lanes guards have to fight through traffic and can't finish. 13 missed free throws is awful. If we do so many things below average something has to be outstanding and it wasn't.
                      So many expectations this year. I guess patience is required with all the new pieces. I don't think 2 losses in the non conference was totally unexpected with that schedule but it doesn't make it any easier when your watching it unfold.
                      The Zags are beautiful to watch when the refs allow freedom of movement. This had the look of a tournament game. It's sad that the winners in March come down to who can bump and grab most effectively but that's what these games come down to. (I'm really starting to dislike seeing blond-hair ref because he seems to call a lot of these physical games).

                      I agree with everything you said. The free throw shooting was atrocious, and the stats don't tell the whole story of missed front-ends of 1-and-1s.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                        The Zags are beautiful to watch when the refs allow freedom of movement. This had the look of a tournament game. It's sad that the winners in March come down to who can bump and grab most effectively but that's what these games come down to. (I'm really starting to dislike seeing blond-hair ref because he seems to call a lot of these physical games).

                        I agree with everything you said. The free throw shooting was atrocious, and the stats don't tell the whole story of missed front-ends of 1-and-1s.
                        Basketball is a physical game. This board is often quite soft about the subject. You shouldn’t be able to cut freely without getting bumped.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by zagfan08 View Post
                          Basketball is a physical game. This board is often quite soft about the subject. You shouldn’t be able to cut freely without getting bumped.
                          It's all a matter of degree.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            they were over the line with energy on defense, and as with duke and tarylton we are having difficulty with hyper quick and energetic defenses. near the end of the first half they had about twice the # of fouls we did, and it was a winning strategy. We did not punish them for their many fouls in the first half, cuz we just weren't hitting our free throws. Timme's free throws tonight were about like last year.
                            Teams are going to be face guarding us all year, cuz its working. We need to figure this out. Both offense and defense look a litte bit disorganized compared to usual over the years, to my amateur eye.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              tommy was the fire to mark few's ice...where is the fire gonna come from now?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                                It’s foolish to think losing such an asset causes no harm.
                                Nobody disagree with that statement. But as posts shows most completely disagree with the premise of the thread/OP that Tommy is the reason for our recent problems.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X