No announcement yet.

Gonzaga vs Texas Tech Post Game thoughts and analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old bb nostrum, teams that press and play tough D don’t respond well when tables are turned. Maybe a factor?

Comment

We still have a ways to go. I was pleased with turnovers, 3 pt and FT shooting. We seemed more decisive and crisp. We are still lacking some chemistry and I want to see Chet explode offensively. It's a positive thing imo, we still have room
      America's Team!

Comment

It was a VERY good game. See TOs, FTs, 3 PT shooting and the return to form of Andrew. Big step forward when we needed it. But it was not, IMHO, a “great game.” We beat the #25 team WITHOUT their best player. Our aspirations are higher than that. A great game would have been beating them by the same or greater margin with Shannon. But it WAS the big step forward we needed.

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
          Watty's confidence appears to be growing with each game.
          I've been frustrated by Watson's lack of offensive production this season, BUT he really came through offensively in this game. I totally loved the 3-bomb he laid on TT in the second half. TT made zero effort to challenge Watson with the ball behind the 3-point line (no doubt consistent with their game plan), so it was bombs away and nothing but net....loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
            I've been frustrated by Watson's lack of offensive production this season, BUT he really came through offensively in this game. I totally loved the 3-bomb he laid on TT in the second half. TT made zero effort to challenge Watson with the ball behind the 3-point line (no doubt consistent with their game plan), so it was bombs away and nothing but net....loved it.
            That made me think of us not guarding Davidson from Alabama who was shooting 25% from 3, and he made 4 in that game and hasn't made one since. That other guy that made all those 3 pointers in that game, never made a 3 yesterday either. What a bad luck game that was. In my opinion, we beat Alabama 9 out of 10 times, but played them in that one game.

Comment

I would love to put Texas Tech on the schedule for a home and home series. They are a well-coached team that plays excellent defense every year. Win or lose, a game against that type of opponent is great preparation for March. They did a great job of taking away our best offensive weapon in Timme. They forced other players to step up and make plays. I thought our guards responded very well to that pressure. A month ago, they may not have adapted as well.
              “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

post now, then go read what everyone else had to say:
                great to finally see us handle a stifling defense, we were ready and didn't get rattled
                our offense kept the ball moving, so it was harder to get flustered
                passing is slowly improving
                we handled their tendency to drive into the defender rather than toward the basket very well on the whole
                they constricted into the paint giving us the 3 ball, daring us, we we beat them with that gift. Thank you TT, we always love xmas presents
                it looked like we studied Tarelton, Duke and Alabama games carefully and made adjustments
                holmgren is finally get snappy with his rebounds, and doesnt seek to dribble before his offensive moves as much, there were many early games where he would get a pass or rebound and hold the ball. Against the quickness of D1 defenses he is protecting the ball carefully against players behind him he cannot see - big improvement
                now he is one of the quick hands under the rim and he will get his share and hang on to them too
                did our guards have an all guards meeting? they sure played like it
                so nice to see their play match the contribution of our bigs, although they are still not fluid cutters and passers. YET.
                Anton no longer has that slow or 'sleepy' look to some of his movements like last year, no he is crouching down and looks super intense. Instead of surprising defenses with steal attempts they could not see from his body language, now he looks like he is going for the steal on every play. Love to see him forcing his body to be quick - gliding sideways is better now than last year. Loved seeing him drive from the arc to a layup through traffic, what a great weapon for us if he does that more often.
                our team is gelling in front of our eyes, so good to see, and still so far to go.
                where oh where can we fit Hunters talents into this offense?
                wasn't he a decent shooter in high school? maybe his main points were driving into the paint, which he has (thankfully) learned is way more complicated with D1 defenses. Can a player his age still develop a strong 3 pt shot, I wonder if Wiltjer could talk to him . Wiltjer had to have his feet set, but Sall is won't need to, he is quick enough to get anywhere on the court, and make his own outside jumper, IF he can make it a weapon. Hunter's mechanics don't look right to my untrained eye. He seems to 'throw' the 3 ball attempt with a little jerk. Do we have any shooting coaches who could make some adjustments on his long ball stroke? I think he is already capable our joining our strongest defensive package on the floor.
                I know passing into Timme is a powerful weapon. I would love to him to develop the Karno skill of finding the open man created by getting double teamed. I know its asking a lot to make points with two defenders on you, and still become a cagey passer. But it is possible. Zach C. also was good at this.
                Last edited by ZagsGoZags; 12-19-2021, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
                  I would love to put Texas Tech on the schedule for a home and home series. They are a well-coached team that plays excellent defense every year. Win or lose, a game against that type of opponent is great preparation for March. They did a great job of taking away our best offensive weapon in Timme. They forced other players to step up and make plays. I thought our guards responded very well to that pressure. A month ago, they may not have adapted as well.
                  I’m on board with that idea. Lubbock is only a 4 hour drive for me. I’d be happy to set up a pre-game social. Believe it or not, Lubbock produces a lot of excellent wine, they’re located in the Texas High Plains AVA.

Comment

It was very encouraging.

We will see this the rest of the year to varying degrees. Plug the middle solid, dare us to make 3s, play "Hack a Zag" when the ball goes in the middle.

If we play the way we did against Tech, we'll go a long way as we grow together.

But we haven't been a good 3pt shooting team and I worry we'll regress back to the mean, and if we're not able to dominate inside because there are 3 guys within 5 feet of the basket, we're fairly average.

Encouraging signs.
                    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                    Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by DZ View Post
                      It was very encouraging.

We will see this the rest of the year to varying degrees. Plug the middle solid, dare us to make 3s, play "Hack a Zag" when the ball goes in the middle.

If we play the way we did against Tech, we'll go a long way as we grow together.

But we haven't been a good 3pt shooting team and I worry we'll regress back to the mean, and if we're not able to dominate inside because there are 3 guys within 5 feet of the basket, we're fairly average.

Encouraging signs.
                      I am so baffled by the perception of “haven’t been a good 3 point shooting and regress back to the mean”. Several have made this statement but the facts don’t back it up

Guard (including Strawther) are 71 for 196 36% (remove Sallis who is 0-7) and primary guards shooting 38% from floor

Last years guards shot 225 for 596. For 38%. Same if remove Sallis or 2% which is 3 more made baskets to date for 38% overall

This year 13 for 45. 29%
                      Last years bigs were 9 for 41 or 22%

Last years team shot36% overalls while this years team shooting is 34%

So if our MEAN is 34% we are only 2% below last year but have our bigs shooting as many 3 shots as all of last year so naturally going pull our percentage as a team down
                      Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Comment

Originally posted by PNW Zagfan View Post
                        We spoke with a lot of TT fans before and after the game as they were very well represented in Phoenix. Very nice people, extremely polite and very complimentary of Gonzaga. Post-game, only a few mentioned the absence of Shannon. Watching the game, I couldn’t help feel TT was beset with many of the problems that afflicted the Zags in the last few games. They had some really dumb turnovers (stepping on sidelines, inbounding the ball into the backcourt, but out of bounds, etc.). I was very pleased with how Gonzaga played, but it also felt like it just wasn’t TT’s day.

TT did stop Zags momentum several times by hitting a three immediately after a Zag made three.
                        We sat amongst some TT fans. Knowledgeable basketball fans and nice people. I thought Watty’s missed dunk could have been about the best in GU history had he converted it. A monster. Fun environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
                          I am so baffled by the perception of “haven’t been a good 3 point shooting and regress back to the mean”. Several have made this statement but the facts don’t back it up

Guard (including Strawther) are 71 for 196 36% (remove Sallis who is 0-7) and primary guards shooting 38% from floor

Last years guards shot 225 for 596. For 38%. Same if remove Sallis or 2% which is 3 more made baskets to date for 38% overall

This year 13 for 45. 29%
                          Last years bigs were 9 for 41 or 22%

Last years team shot36% overalls while this years team shooting is 34%

So if our MEAN is 34% we are only 2% below last year but have our bigs shooting as many 3 shots as all of last year so naturally going pull our percentage as a team down
                          I ran the numbers but rather than by position I compared utilization.

Interesting, Strawther and Bolton slightly outshot last years top two guys, Kispert and Suggs on roughly the same utilization (41.1 vs. 40.3%).

Nembhard, Hickman, and Holmgren shoot 2.1/game more than Ayayi, Cook, and Nembhard by 2.1 per game, and do so at a poorer rate (32.3% vs. 35.5%).

All in the top 5 shooters last year, shoot 17.4/game at 38.3% whereas the top 5 this year shoot 37% on 19.5/game.

However, the major difference is in the 'rest of rotation group'. I included everyone with .5 attempts per game.

Sallis, Watson, and Timme shoot a combined 2 shots per game at 13%, while Harris, Strawther, Timme, and Watson shot 30% at 3.3 shots per game.

I think with a bit better shot selection, some growth from Holmgren and Hickman, and if we're really lucky, the return of Dom, the team can likely get close to the top 5 shooters in the 38% like last years group. However, I don't think we're going to see the same depth of of 7 guys shooting 32% or better, and Timme at 29%.

This zags team aren't bad shooters, but last years team was a fair bit better and deeper.

Comment

re. 3 pt. shooting, some good points being made imo. would add that the breakout games from both RB and Nemby vs. TT changed their % numbers with their improved 50% shooting from deep, 9-18. remove those game stats and it's easier to understand the concerns voiced re. Zag 3 pt. shooting and the clamps inside getting even tighter on Drew. will be interesting to see whether or not teams (it's not just TT that has employed this look) continue playing us like this and daring the 3 ball, or do/did we shoot them out of it going forward? I expect to see more dares from deep, with the Zags being challenged and having to prove it game to game until/unless the 3 pt. barrages continue to punish that d

Comment

Was able to see the entire game, some nice person posted it on YouTube (I had some issues on Saturday). That defense was incredible, and even though Chet and Drew didn't score much, it didn't matter. If we play like this the rest of the way, it's a smooth ride to Vegas, then either Portland or San Diego. Even with a #2 seed, I'm sure we will get slotted in the West Regional. Hope to see more bench tonite, we are favored by 30.
                              The NBA playoffs, a best of 7 is always better than a best of 1.

Comment

Originally posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
                                Was able to see the entire game, some nice person posted it on YouTube (I had some issues on Saturday). That defense was incredible, and even though Chet and Drew didn't score much, it didn't matter. If we play like this the rest of the way, it's a smooth ride to Vegas, then either Portland or San Diego. Even with a #2 seed, I'm sure we will get slotted in the West Regional. Hope to see more bench tonite, we are favored by 30.
                                Zags looked solid vs TTech and it's a really good sign that they addressed primary early season issues: turnovers; 3pt shooting % and defense showing notable improvement on all fronts vs the Red Raiders.
                                Texas Tech was also without their leading scorer Terrance Shannon Jr. so while I am excited about this W I do not agree that all Zags need to do is play like this all they way to Vegas. Need better offensive flow and sets to free up attacks to the basket even when Timme is being surrounded and denied...I, for one, do not want a tourney game to depend solely on whether or not Zags can make 3 pointers on a given night.
                                Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

Working...
                                X