X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    There is a ZERO percent chance it will get cancelled. It’s just not reality
    It was cancelled 2 years ago, wasn't it?

Comment

Pessimism and optimism are both delusional, but optimism is much more dangerous...... I am a a pessimist by nature and by training and experience and that has served me well.......hope for the best but prepare for the worst.... Murphy is always around... I want my surprises to be pleasant ..

Everything I read says this is going to get a lot worse.....a blizzard of cases....or maybe a avalanche..... maybe this mutation will be "mild" and over quickly..... maybe not....

In any case, with billions of people unvaccinated in the world there may be additional more serious mutations....some " expert " opined that we may be only a couple mutations' away from one that is untreatable ......

When I was at Gonzaga back in the 60's at the height of the Cold War, Father Bishoff said that a nuclear war would kill about a billion people and destroy civilization as we know it, but that billions of people would survive...... he said the existential threat to humans would come from outer space or a virus.

He said that the first recognition of that threat would be on about page 30 of the New York Times....... and over time would move up until it was the entire front page and would only say...... " WE ARE SCREWED " ........

So, first thing in the morning I always read page 30 of the New York Times......... .

Comment

Originally posted by katman50 View Post
        Do you honestly think now and two years ago are remotely comparable? They will not cancel the tournament, it will not happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
          Do you honestly think now and two years ago are remotely comparable? They will not cancel the tournament, it will not happen
          Okay. Just a thought. I hope not. And yes, with some of the stuff going on, I do think they are "remotely comparable". Football bowl games, worth millions, cancelled right and left, basketball games cancelled. I love my Zags and college BB and I hope you are correct. Stay tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
            Pessimism and optimism are both delusional, but optimism is much more dangerous...... I am a a pessimist by nature and by training and experience and that has served me well.......hope for the best but prepare for the worst.... Murphy is always around... I want my surprises to be pleasant ..

Everything I read says this is going to get a lot worse.....a blizzard of cases....or maybe a avalanche..... maybe this mutation will be "mild" and over quickly..... maybe not....

In any case, with billions of people unvaccinated in the world there may be additional more serious mutations....some " expert " opined that we may be only a couple mutations' away from one that is untreatable ......

When I was at Gonzaga back in the 60's at the height of the Cold War, Father Bishoff said that a nuclear war would kill about a billion people and destroy civilization as we know it, but that billions of people would survive...... he said the existential threat to humans would come from outer space or a virus.

He said that the first recognition of that threat would be on about page 30 of the New York Times....... and over time would move up until it was the entire front page and would only say...... " WE ARE SCREWED " ........

So, first thing in the morning I always read page 30 of the New York Times......... .
            I like this....Thanks for sharing Father Bishoff's perspective. I'll start reading page 30 now...

Comment

LMU game postponed

Okay. Just a thought. I hope not. And yes, with some of the stuff going on, I do think they are "remotely comparable". Football bowl games, worth millions, cancelled right and left, basketball games cancelled. I love my Zags and college BB and I hope you are correct. Stay tuned.
              I don’t find the beginning of the pandemic in February/March 2020 versus now as similar at all. In any case, I will agree to disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes. When it was thought every person with COVID would die. We have learned a lot. We are in a different place.

Comment

Originally posted by Spink View Post
                  Yes. When it was thought every person with COVID would die. We have learned a lot. We are in a different place.
                  Most certainly. We are in a place where we are about to see a million cases a day. That's if you don't count the other million that didn't test, or had home tests that aren't counted officially. If each of those infects 2-5 people, guess how many that is, every. single. day in the next few weeks??? We breached (officially) a half-million per day yesterday. Exponents make small numbers very big in a short period of time. We are just at the beginning. It's not the deaths, or the hospitalizations (thankfully, but those are rising too). It's the profound number of sick people that are very likely about to make society nonfunctional.

Need a test? Have fun waiting 5 hours because the testing system is overwhelmed. Need food? Can't when all the grocery store workers are out sick. Need an ambulance? Well more than half of NYC's paramedics are out sick today (it's coming to a town near you). NYC's fire department said stop calling 911 unless it's dire. This is a harbinger of what's to come elsewhere. Gas? What happens when all the delivery drivers are bedridden? Need medical attention? Sorry. Too many healthcare providers called in because they got it. Maybe eight weeks we'll be doing better. Maybe not.

Went to the grocery store today. Bare shelves everywhere. Not even orange juice.

Do not take this lightly. This was, but will now much more be, the most significant public health issue in our lifetimes.

Omicron blizzard to disrupt U.S. for next month: experts

Astonishing article.

Weeks ago I said this was coming.

The CBB season is in serious jeopardy, at least in the near future. Hoping for a sharp decline like South Africa had. We'll see. Hoping for the best. Expecting much worse.

=cad=

ETA: Wishing all my friends of GU Nation a safe and Happy New Year. Not taking bets on when our next game is, but hoping it's sooner rather than later. Also hoping our missing friends on the board a safe return to bring a healthy debate.

Comment

Originally posted by caduceus View Post
                    =cad=
                    Time will tell what happens and what choices are made by a few people out of 300 million.

Edit Added: That is a lot of cases

Comment

Originally posted by caduceus View Post
                      Most certainly. We are in a place where we are about to see a million cases a day. That's if you don't count the other million that didn't test, or had home tests that aren't counted officially. If each of those infects 2-5 people, guess how many that is, every. single. day in the next few weeks??? We breached (officially) a half-million per day yesterday. Exponents make small numbers very big in a short period of time. We are just at the beginning. It's not the deaths, or the hospitalizations (thankfully, but those are rising too). It's the profound number of sick people that are very likely about to make society nonfunctional.

Need a test? Have fun waiting 5 hours because the testing system is overwhelmed. Need food? Can't when all the grocery store workers are out sick. Need an ambulance? Well more than half of NYC's paramedics are out sick today (it's coming to a town near you). NYC's fire department said stop calling 911 unless it's dire. This is a harbinger of what's to come elsewhere. Gas? What happens when all the delivery drivers are bedridden? Need medical attention? Sorry. Too many healthcare providers called in because they got it. Maybe eight weeks we'll be doing better. Maybe not.

Went to the grocery store today. Bare shelves everywhere. Not even orange juice.

Do not take this lightly. This was, but will now much more be, the most significant public health issue in our lifetimes.

Omicron blizzard to disrupt U.S. for next month: experts

Astonishing article.

Weeks ago I said this was coming.

The CBB season is in serious jeopardy, at least in the near future. Hoping for a sharp decline like South Africa had. We'll see. Hoping for the best. Expecting much worse.

=cad=

ETA: Wishing all my friends of GU Nation a safe and Happy New Year. Not taking bets on when our next game is, but hoping it's sooner rather than later. Also hoping our missing friends on the board a safe return to bring a healthy debate.
                      Bartruff1/Caduceus

Again, THANK YOU for sharing your thoughts...IMO - unfortunately, it will get worse before it gets better! Maybe we can be as fortunate as SA and Omicron...

My wife and I are pretty scared as we live in a seniors community with 15K+ where many still think this virus is just a hoax and refuse to vaccinate. SC is one of the highest rates per 100K and life goes on as usual in this community, very little precautions as if this was the summer of 2019...we have hundreds of crows/ravens that reside in our community and the second most common sound heard it that of ambulances...

Bartruff your comments about the economy are insightful as we are experiencing issues here...

The New Year is upon us and am not sure if as a Nation, we have learned anything from the last 22 months...

I hope we can all have a Healthy and Safe New Year!!!

Prayers for DOC, wherever you may be...hope you are still with us!

Comment

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Here's an article from KREM (CBS-2 in Spokane) and it's about as cryptic as you can get. They don't come out and say for sure that GU has COVID.

https://www.krem.com/article/sports/...4-11973166772b
                          The NBA playoffs, a best of 7 is always better than a best of 1.

Comment

Matt Jones
                            @KySportsRadio
                            ·
                            1h
                            Calipari says he talked to Mark Few and Gonzaga yesterday

“If anyone cancels on us, we are playing them. If anyone else cancels we are playing Michigan State”

Comment

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
                              Matt Jones
                              @KySportsRadio
                              ·
                              1h
                              Calipari says he talked to Mark Few and Gonzaga yesterday

“If anyone cancels on us, we are playing them. If anyone else cancels we are playing Michigan State”
                              Works for me...as long as Gonzaga gets to play.
                              Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

I read today that Gonzaga will require its students and employees to get a coronavirus booster shot.

In light of that and this latest news about the LMU postponement, the school should also start requiring proof of vaccination at the door to the MAC, and also impose a mask mandate on spectators.

Comment

Working...
                                X