Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, I think once omicron passes through that we will get back to a greater degree of normalcy. Zags will be back in a couple weeks, and life will go on. COVID is ending sooner than not.
    The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by Malastein View Post
      Honestly, I think once omicron passes through that we will get back to a greater degree of normalcy. Zags will be back in a couple weeks, and life will go on. COVID is ending sooner than not.
      It won't come without a change to policy though. If one can have three shots, have had the virus, get it again with no symptoms, then test positive, thus shutting down the program... there isn't a lot of hope. Current policy doesn't very well reflect what it appears the risks actually are. Until it does, we will see this left and right. If you can just keep carrying the virus over and over, what are the odds that there won't be issues being passed around with multiple people in a program of 20+?

Comment

Zero chance the tournament is cancelled. 0%.

Comment

I was under the impression that
          when an NCAA D1 team could not play due to Covid, they would forfeit the game and the opponent would get a win. Now I wish I remember how I got that impression.
          Also I thought the public would get to know which team has Covid issues. Did UW have to announce they had covid cuz its a public school, and GU can suppress the info because it is a private school?

Comment

According to my other sports board, the NCAA (and all 4 pro sports) relaxed the guidelines, so as not to use the word "forfeit". UCLA orginally had a forfeit win against UW. That is no longer true, the game will (possibly) be rescheduled. Big East and other conferences are following the same protocol. It's okay if you don't believe me, I won't take offense. The proof is easily obtainable on the internet if one looks hard enough (which I do). Happy New Year!
            The NBA playoffs, a best of 7 is always better than a best of 1.

Comment

Originally posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
              According to my other sports board, the NCAA (and all 4 pro sports) relaxed the guidelines, so as not to use the word "forfeit". UCLA orginally had a forfeit win against UW. That is no longer true, the game will (possibly) be rescheduled. Big East and other conferences are following the same protocol. It's okay if you don't believe me, I won't take offense. The proof is easily obtainable on the internet if one looks hard enough (which I do). Happy New Year!
              This is essentially correct, although the NCAA has always seen games not played as a "no contest". It's up to the individual conferences to decide the outcome of conference games for the purpose of seeding tournaments. Many conferences, with the goal of encouraging vaccinations, initially decided to regard games cancelled due to Covid as a forfeit on behalf of the infected team if they could not field a squad. Now that Omicron has come along (and is infecting more vaccinated players/coaches/staff), many, but not all, leagues have changed their policies to reflect that by considering those games to also be a "no contest", and have made that retroactive to the beginning of this season. Hence, while the NCAA always considered the UCLA/UW game a "no contest", the PAC-12 initially regarded the game as a forfeit, but has now come in line with the NCAA's approach. Earlier on, the uninfected teams in the PAC were given the option of either winning a forfeit or trying to reschedule. There was a pattern where those teams at an advantage would opt to reschedule home games, and take the forfeit for away games. Not really fair.

I haven't looked up the WCC's rules, but I suspect it's similar (no contest until played, try to reschedule when possible).

Comment

Originally posted by treehorn View Post
                I read today that Gonzaga will require its students and employees to get a coronavirus booster shot.

In light of that and this latest news about the LMU postponement, the school should also start requiring proof of vaccination at the door to the MAC, and also impose a mask mandate on spectators.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or uninformed treehorn. That already is the MAC policy. I was told by a GU teacher that the mens team all received their booster shots Dec 20th. Not sure of the accuracy, but they seemed knowledgeable. Interesting that the school is requiring testing of all students within 48 hours of return to campus next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
                  So does that mean we are in quarantine for 10 days or ?
                  https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...-guidance.html

Given what we currently know about COVID-19 and the Omicron variant, CDC is shortening the recommended time for isolation for the public. People with COVID-19 should isolate for 5 days and if they are asymptomatic or their symptoms are resolving (without fever for 24 hours), follow that by 5 days of wearing a mask when around others to minimize the risk of infecting people they encounter. The change is motivated by science demonstrating that the majority of SARS-CoV-2 transmission occurs early in the course of illness, generally in the 1-2 days prior to onset of symptoms and the 2-3 days after.

---
                  https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33270107/

We included 29 studies reporting attempts at culturing, or observing tissue infection by, SARS-CoV-2 in sputum, nasopharyngeal or oropharyngeal, urine, stool, blood, and environmental specimens. The quality of the studies was moderate with lack of standardized reporting. The data suggest a relationship between the time from onset of symptom to the timing of the specimen test, cycle threshold (Ct), and symptom severity. Twelve studies reported that Ct values were significantly lower and log copies higher in specimens producing live virus culture. Two studies reported that the odds of live virus culture were reduced by approximately 33% for every 1-unit increase in Ct. Six of 8 studies reported detectable RNA for >14 days, but infectious potential declined after day 8 even among cases with ongoing high viral loads. Four studies reported viral culture from stool specimens.

Not sure what studies that have for Omicron in this regard. I cannot find information on this at the CDC or elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by tummydoc View Post
                    Not sure if this is sarcasm or uninformed treehorn. That already is the MAC policy. I was told by a GU teacher that the mens team all received their booster shots Dec 20th. Not sure of the accuracy, but they seemed knowledgeable. Interesting that the school is requiring testing of all students within 48 hours of return to campus next week.
                    Afraid you're mistaken. It can't be MAC policy or John Stockton, who has been vociferous in his opposition to the COVID vaccine and vaccination mandates, would not have been shown on TV in the stands at the North Alabama game without a mask. From the link:
                    "He previously appeared in a vaccine conspiracy and misinformation documentary produced by a Utah-based company, in which he claimed to have done 'significant research' on COVID-19 and concluded that it is 'not a very dangerous one by comparison to other viruses.'"

Comment

Originally posted by treehorn View Post
                      Afraid you're mistaken. It can't be MAC policy or John Stockton, who has been vociferous in his opposition to the COVID vaccine and vaccination mandates, would not have been shown on TV in the stands at the North Alabama game without a mask. From the link:
                      "He previously appeared in a vaccine conspiracy and misinformation documentary produced by a Utah-based company, in which he claimed to have done 'significant research' on COVID-19 and concluded that it is 'not a very dangerous one by comparison to other viruses.'"
                      Treehorn, Google much? Why bring Stockton into this conversation? A simple search to the MAC site states one can have a Covid test in the absence of a card.

Comment

"Masks are required for all visitors, regardless of vaccination status, in all indoor settings, unless actively engaged in eating or drinking." This 'policy' is not being enforced.

Comment

If you can read, you would understand that " can't be ...or " observation by Treehorn is right on....and that Stockton is the most obvious and prominent example of a failure to enforce a policy that is intended to protect others...

As a recent Spokesman " Letter to the Editor" pointed out. Shame on Gonzaga...

Comment

Originally posted by MyZags View Post
                            Why bring Stockton into this conversation?
                            Why not? It's a thread about the cancellation of the LMU game due to a failure of Gonzaga's COVID protocols. If the school lets Stockton and friends sit in the stands without a mask contrary to the protocols, it's relevant to the thread.

Comment

I mean, there are LOTS of people in the stands not wearing masks that are easily seen on TV. Doesn't look like there's any kind of policy being enforced.

Comment

Working...
                              X