Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Report: USF-Gonzaga will be third consecutive game postponed due to Bulldogs’ COVID-1

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: USF-Gonzaga will be third consecutive game postponed due to Bulldogs’ COVID-1

From today's Spokesman-Review: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...utive-game-po/

By Theo Lawson
    [email protected]
    (509) 939-5928

Gonzaga’s basketball team won’t be cleared from COVID-19 health and safety protocols in time to avoid a third consecutive West Coast Conference postponement, according to a report on Monday from CBS Sports’ Matt Norlander.

Thursday’s highly-anticipated WCC showdown between No. 4 Gonzaga (11-2) and San Francisco (13-1) at McCarthey Athletic Center has been postponed due to the Bulldogs’ recent COVID-19 outbreak. The Zags have yet to play a conference game after road contests last Thursday and Saturday against San Diego and LMU were also postponed.

GU’s next scheduled game would be this Saturday against Pepperdine in Spokane, although it’s uncertain if the Bulldogs will clear COVID protocols in time to host the Waves.

According to a tweet from Norlander, “Sources said WCC is meeting today to determine next steps and alterations (with) league schedule.” Noting the importance of having all four of the WCC’s top teams – Gonzaga, USF, BYU and Saint Mary’s – play each other twice, Norlander also tweeted, “WCC lost all its games over the weekend b/c of COVID. With GU/BYU/SMC/USF as the top four teams, the emphasis needs to be making sure those four all play each other twice in reg. season.”

All seven games on the WCC’s opening week schedule were scrapped due to COVID-19 and it’s unclear how many teams from the league will be cleared to play this Thursday, which also features games between Pacific and BYU, San Diego and Pepperdine, Portland at Loyola Marymount and Saint Mary’s and Santa Clara.

Thursday’s contest will be the fourth total game on GU’s schedule either postponed or canceled due to COVID-19. The Bulldogs’ mid-December game against Washington was eliminated because of the Huskies’ COVID-19 outbreak and the teams opted not to reschedule the rivalry matchup, instead choosing to play next year in Spokane.

Hi hegotit,

nice to hear from you on the board, and i hope you will post more often.
    Whoever told you that vaccines will 'keep you safe and prevent you from getting sick' had to be someone with some kind of political agenda rather than a scientific source. Scientific research is solid already backing the claim that vaccines mostly prevent people from dying, and serious threat to life visits to Intensive Care in hospitals. The two vaccinated people I know personally that caught covid, got over it in less than a week with no serious symptoms. Both continued working their jobs from online, although one took one day off cuz she was upset.
    I am Pfiser double vaccinated, add the booster, yet when I attended the zags game against Alabama in the Climate Pledge Arena, I never took my mask off, and did not eat or drink anything. If I have no symptoms but am carrying the virus, not spreading it is a team effort for all citizens of the world, in my humble opinion.

Comment

ZagsGoZags, I wish everyone was a team player like you!

Photo from Spokesman-Review.

Comment

Missin' my WCC Basketball

Wonder whether the league could reschedule missed games by going to a temporary 3-game/week makeup regimen. Wonder what that'd do to the players's class/study schedules.

Adding to what the article said, this fan would also like to see the Zags play Santa Clara twice. They're playing pretty good ball, and may've had a win or two more if their best player hadn't been unavailable early season.

:[
        Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

Selfishly, I am super disappointed. I miss Gonzaga basketball. Get well soon!
          Bring back the OCC

Comment

Dang was really looking forward to this one. So over this crap. I hate the “new normal”.
            "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Comment

On the selfish side too I was really looking forward to it because I had good tickets for it. With the students gone and a member of the "Zag" club (formerly Bulldog club" you can get tickets where they usually sit. I can never get tickets to the top tier games, figured this was a close as I would ever get.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewey View Post
                On the selfish side too I was really looking forward to it because I had good tickets for it. With the students gone and a member of the "Zag" club (formerly Bulldog club" you can get tickets where they usually sit. I can never get tickets to the top tier games, figured this was a close as I would ever get.
                That’s got to be super disappointing.

Comment

Dons replace GU with game vs Loyola of Chicago

Per Matt Norlander

"Breaking—San Francisco and Loyola Chicago will play each other Thursday in Salt Lake City, both coaches told
                  @CBSSports
                  . After conf. games axed earlier in the day, the two swiftly scheduled into arguably the best mid-major noncon tilt of the season.

The Dons are 13-1 and off to their best start since the 1970s. Loyola Chicago remains a top-25 team in KenPom and the NET. High-level mid-major game here.

And they’re going to play at a JUCO gym on a Thursday afternoon in Utah.

This totally rules."

link

ZZ

Comment

Originally posted by zagzilla View Post
                    Per Matt Norlander

"Breaking—San Francisco and Loyola Chicago will play each other Thursday in Salt Lake City, both coaches told
                    @CBSSports
                    . After conf. games axed earlier in the day, the two swiftly scheduled into arguably the best mid-major noncon tilt of the season.

The Dons are 13-1 and off to their best start since the 1970s. Loyola Chicago remains a top-25 team in KenPom and the NET. High-level mid-major game here.

And they’re going to play at a JUCO gym on a Thursday afternoon in Utah.

This totally rules."

link

ZZ
                    It does totally rule!
                    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Comment

The entire team is vaccinated and is now going to miss a third game in a row. I thought all this was going to be behind us with the vaccination.

Comment

Social distancing and masking. Ah, but too many couldn't put in the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by ZagNation View Post
                          The entire team is vaccinated and is now going to miss a third game in a row. I thought all this was going to be behind us with the vaccination.
                          It's science,. not politics.
                          Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                            It's science,. not politics.
                            Not sure where you came up with politics, I was thinking if all were vaccinated everything would run smoothly. I kinda thought that was the reason to get vaccinated. Now I'm worried about March Madness.

Comment

If all were vaccinated?

Comment

Working...
                              X