Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are the Bulldogs Rivals?

Hey Gonzaga Fans,

The Bulldogs rise to the top of college basketball has us wondering, who do you think are the bulldogs rivals?

Since 2014, we—the students and professors of the Know Rivalry Project—have been studying rivalry for sports in the North America with the help of message board members. Now we are expanding our research to College Basketball. Please help us ensure that the Gonzaga Bulldogs are included by taking 9 minutes to complete our updated survey:

MBB: https://umassamherst.co1.qualtrics.c...dir&grpID=1472
    WBB: https://umassamherst.co1.qualtrics.c...dir&grpID=5601

Our previous results in the US have been featured in numerous sports media outlets, as well as the Wall Street Journal and New York Times. You can view those results, links to media coverage, and learn more about us at https://knowrivalry.com/

We use the Qualtrics online survey software for data collection. This academic research has been approved by two US universities' Institutional Review Boards (IRB) and it poses no risks to respondents. You'll find more information on the disclosure agreement that is required to start the survey. Thank you for helping us to include the Gonzaga Bulldogs by participating and please share this with any other fans that may also help.

Jonah, Student Researcher, Northern Kentucky University
    Dr. Joe Cobbs, Northern Kentucky University
    Dr. David Tyler, University of Massachusetts—Amherst

Just so everyone knows, Saint Mary's is listed in the drop down alphabetically as "St Mary's (CA)," even though some of the schools are spelled out "Saint."
    Originally posted by Reborn
    Go Zags!!!
    Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

We don’t really have one. I feel the best rivalries are geographic. When I was at GU, class of 2008, it was UW. We were still the annoying little school in Spokane who was starting to poke at Seattle recruits, and we were wiping the floor with them and their 5* recruits. They cancelled the series and the rivalry died. WSU was never really good and we haven’t played them in ages. Conference rivals eb and flow based on sustained success of the other program and the ability to beat us, which hasn’t happened in 15+ years. WCC opponents fans have largely given up on trying to beat us, gyms that used to be SRO are empty when we come to town (other than zag fans filling it up).

Comment

Originally posted by ZagNut08 View Post
        We don’t really have one. I feel the best rivalries are geographic. When I was at GU, class of 2008, it was UW. We were still the annoying little school in Spokane who was starting to poke at Seattle recruits, and we were wiping the floor with them and their 5* recruits. They cancelled the series and the rivalry died. WSU was never really good and we haven’t played them in ages. Conference rivals eb and flow based on sustained success of the other program and the ability to beat us, which hasn’t happened in 15+ years. WCC opponents fans have largely given up on trying to beat us, gyms that used to be SRO are empty when we come to town (other than zag fans filling it up).
        No big rivalries. Small ones in BYU, SMC and UW.

Maybe UCLA can become one. Some good games with the Morrison loss and recent tourney victory.

Comment

I always feel that our worst losses are us beating ourselves. So we are our own worst ......rival? Probably too much mental gymnastics to get to that point eh?
          Krozman
          GU student 1996-2000
          Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

At the beginning of this cute little run (1999 - 2002 ish) it was clearly Pepperdine. GU and Pepperdine would generally battle for first place in league and then play for the WCC tourney title. The last (and only?) court storming at GU came after GU beat Pepperdine in the last game of the year to clinch the regular season title. Since then ... mostly been St. Mary's and BYU. I haven't checked opponents during ESPN's Rivalry week but my recollection is that in recent years (the last decade or so) it has been the Gael. Posts above accurately report Washington as a "Rival" as well ... but the past few years that has dropped off ... concurrent with with state of their program.

Interesting to note (at least for me) is some of the "Power 5" program fan bases ... and while they might not consider Gonzaga as a rival ... their (primarily Kentucky and Virginia) message board forums constantly have multi-page/hundred(s) post threads about the Zags. It is bizarre ... they feel GU doesn't deserve recognition because of our league ... but they sure seem to talk about Gonzaga excessively.

That's my input.
            sigpic
            “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
            ——-
            List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
            Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

Tricky question because no one has really been able to match us over time. My personal favorite was Washington in the 2000s. It was a legit rivalry—I went to the games in 2006 (at UW) and 2007 (at GU) and both were incredible. A level above any of the Saint Mary’s or BYU games I’ve been to. Hard to say it’s still much of a rivalry with the state of the UW program but if they become decent again I think that’s always the top pick for me.

Comment

Originally posted by zagfan08 View Post
                Tricky question because no one has really been able to match us over time. My personal favorite was Washington in the 2000s. It was a legit rivalry—I went to the games in 2006 (at UW) and 2007 (at GU) and both were incredible. A level above any of the Saint Mary’s or BYU games I’ve been to. Hard to say it’s still much of a rivalry with the state of the UW program but if they become decent again I think that’s always the top pick for me.
                Agreed on UW. I went to all those games. SMC is very ho-hum for me. BYU is pretty close to that as well.

Comment

I took the survey. One of the questions allows one to identify multiple rivals and weigh them from 1-100; total could not exceed 100.

My scale:

BYU - 50
                  SMC - 20
                  USF - 10
                  UW - 10
                  WSU - 10

I guess I suffer from recency bias. . .
                  Last edited by RenoZag; 01-06-2022, 07:05 AM.
                  The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

The historic rival is SMC for me. Just because they have a down year or two doesn’t remove that dynamic for me. That said, I enjoy a win over BYU much more due to the style of play.

Comment

GU is 18-7 versus BYU since 2011.

GU is 23-5 versus SMU since 2011

GU is 12-1 versus UW since 1999.

GU is 44-4 versus USF since 2000.

Might be off by a game or two, but to me a rivalry means more in the way of competition.

Comment

Originally posted by daskim View Post

Might be off by a game or two, but to me a rivalry means more in the way of competition.
                        So we have no rivalry?

For me historically over last 20 years been SMC but recently been BYU but they are leaving
                        Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Comment

If only in the name of proximity, I would hope that before he leaves for greener pastures, Kyle will get Washington State up to rivalry level for GU.

Comment

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                            I took the survey. One of the questions allows one to identify multiple rivals and weigh them from 1-100. My scale:

BYU - 50
                            SMC - 20
                            USF - 10
                            UW - 10
                            WSU - 10

I guess I suffer from recency bias. . .
                            Originally posted by daskim View Post

Now do conference championships (regular season and tournament). SMC is the only one to shake a stick, if for no other reason than robbing Brandon Clarke of a conference title.
                            Originally posted by Reborn
                            Go Zags!!!
                            Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

As are most things Gonzaga Basketball, the answer to the rivalry question is unique.

The Zags rivalry is with P5 schools, all of them, and it's awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X