Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gonzaga vs Pepperdine Post game thoughts and analysis

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    I think Hunter continues to progress nicely. I also think he is as gifted a natural athlete as we have ever had. I am so looking to the player he fully develops in to!

    Comment


    • #32
      I liken Hunter Sallis to Purdue's sophomore Jaden Ivey. Except Hunter brings more stars, 4 inches taller and is a better defender. When Hunter gets his 3 pt stroke down, watch out.
      Both are extremely athletic, fun to watch, and the sky is the limit!

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by GUDAD2020 View Post
        I liken Hunter Sallis to Purdue's sophomore Jaden Ivey. Except Hunter brings more stars, 4 inches taller and is a better defender. When Hunter gets his 3 pt stroke down, watch out.
        Both are extremely athletic, fun to watch, and the sky is the limit!
        I think your right Jaden is a pretty good comp for Hunter. Jaden is a taller than you thought though he's legit 6'4 with +5 or so wingspan very similar to Sallis.

        Comment


        • #34
          Has Watson been our best overall player since December?

          Given minutes played and performance/impact?

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
            I think your right Jaden is a pretty good comp for Hunter. Jaden is a taller than you thought though he's legit 6'4 with +5 or so wingspan very similar to Sallis.
            You're correct, he's 6'4" with serious length (I missed that)

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Kiddwell View Post
              The team's first couple minutes were an onslaught. Also, since we were so far ahead late, Arlauskas saw some playing time with a better cast of teammates, and in that more-structured/talented context, played well.

              Pepperdine's freshmen (Mallette, Mitchell, and Lewis) looked really good for newbies. If they all stay put, next year Pepperdine might be one of the WCC's upper division teams again. Hope so, I really like the Waves, and am hoping that this year's conference success/high metrics will carry over to next year and beyond.
              (This fan really wants the WCC to put four teams into this year's Dance, then maybe have three teams per Dance the norm!)


              :]
              Yes, I was glad to see Arlauskas get some playing time with rotational players...he tries hard and enjoy watching him...and admire that he decided to stick with GU an not transfer...just guessing now but think he'll want to coach at some point in his future...

              I also thought that Greg should have gotten more playing time when both Chet and Timme had two fouls...I would have thought it would have been good for him to play more minutes in the first half when fouls entered the picture for our bigs.

              I also thought highly of Pepperdine's freshman played extremely well, especially since they really didn't have any quality bigs...if they can pick-up one or two bigs via transfers or recruits, then they will be tough...

              Coach Few thought getting four teams into the Dance is a key issue for the league and am guessing that would like the Schedulers make sure the four top teams play each other so they can get those Q1 games...

              With BYU leaving in a couple of years, it will be difficult IMO to get three teams into the tournament, because the WCC will be losing a top team with no way to replace those league games...

              I really feel to BYU this season as they lost both of their really good post players but their two freshmen (Traore and Atiki) have really developed...I have always thought Baxter was the real deal...he is like Tillie but with even more bad luck...

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Fonebone View Post
                Jazz, seriously how can you of all people say lighten up ? You constantly start fights, are dismissive, your opinions are expressed like a wrecking ball. You are clearly intelligent and have a high level of linguistic skill, but you use it so often as weapon. I’m sorry I’m being so blunt, but you’re a really smart guy, can’t you see how often you hijack a thread ? It’s fine to be contrary, but does it have to be so “take no prisoners” in approach? I really don’t intend this as a personal attack, but more as a plea to that you might see how you come across and how disruptive it is.



                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Thanks, Fone. Message received.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                  Thanks, Fone. Message received.
                  I have no horse in this race but both posts are very commendable, in my opinion. I appreciate both of you in this.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                    Plenty more WCC dreck ahead. Maybe Ben, a projected starter next year, and Kaden, get more than a few minutes run.
                    At this point Jazz, cant see Gregg starting next year. Would be surprised if Drew didnt return. He makes more money off NIL deals than he would in Europe. He currently is projected as a second rounder at best. That leaves next year lineup options of :

                    Hickman
                    Sallis
                    Strawther
                    Watson
                    Timme

                    Hickman
                    Bolton
                    Strawther
                    Watson
                    Timme

                    Hickman
                    Sallis/Harris
                    Strawther/Sallis
                    Watson
                    Timme

                    If Drew returns, Gregg wont start. Even if he doesn't, I have a hard time thinking Ben starts.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
                      He makes more money off NIL deals than he would in Europe.
                      Does he?

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
                        At this point Jazz, cant see Gregg starting next year. Would be surprised if Drew didnt return. He makes more money off NIL deals than he would in Europe. He currently is projected as a second rounder at best. That leaves next year lineup options of :

                        Hickman
                        Sallis
                        Strawther
                        Watson
                        Timme

                        Hickman
                        Bolton
                        Strawther
                        Watson
                        Timme

                        Hickman
                        Sallis/Harris
                        Strawther/Sallis
                        Watson
                        Timme

                        If Drew returns, Gregg wont start. Even if he doesn't, I have a hard time thinking Ben starts.
                        Boy, I sure hope Timme returns next year. but I think there is a possibility we lose Timme, Hickman, and Strawther for next year. I do not think it is a given that Hickman comes back. Look, I hope all 3 return as i think if they do - next year's team could be elite while still losing Nemby, Bolton, and Chet. i also think there is a possibility that if timme does come back - could Gregg transfer?? If Timme, Strawther, and Hickman come back then Timme, Watson, Strawther, Hickman, and Sallis would start. I think in that scenario both Dom and Gregg are at risk. IMHO.
                        Love the Zags!!!

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                          Thanks, Fone. Message received.
                          Jazz, that is an incredibly gracious response. I’m grateful you could see that no animus at all was intended on my part. In my opinion your response can serve as a model for us all. Thank you !


                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            considering that the NBA sometimes drafts some recruits on potential as well as actual, I worry about Hickman, Sallis, as well as Strawther. Is it too selfish to offer up prayers and supplications asking that they stay another year? OMG, or Chet to gain weight and strength here rather than the NBA? - well that is probably to much to hope for, as it was for Jalen Suggs to stay. Oh Dear, the worries of Elite Teams and their One and Done problems. But it is a nicer problem than almost never obtaining a 5 star recruit.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
                              considering that the NBA sometimes drafts some recruits on potential as well as actual, I worry about Hickman, Sallis, as well as Strawther. Is it too selfish to offer up prayers and supplications asking that they stay another year? OMG, or Chet to gain weight and strength here rather than the NBA? - well that is probably to much to hope for, as it was for Jalen Suggs to stay. Oh Dear, the worries of Elite Teams and their One and Done problems. But it is a nicer problem than almost never obtaining a 5 star recruit.
                              Holmgren is the only sure thing 1st rd draft pick on the Zags’ roster imo…..Sallis maybe late 1st rounder based on potential but that’s a stretch (unless he shines bright this latter half of the season). Hickman is an undersized PG at the NBA level who does not have elite athleticism. I just don’t see him getting drafted at all after one season of backup PG minutes.

                              I get anxious watching Chet battle w D1 size and muscle, the thought of him banging against guys like Embid or Sabonis or any big, strong NBA Center or PF is downright terrifying. Smart move if guaranteed a top 5 pick is to go pro but another year to add strength and bulk would serve him well…very well before taking on NBA players.

                              Strawther has decent size to be a 3 and D type in the NBA but I don’t see the elite athleticism and quickness he would need to get drafted as such. Too lazy to look it up but his shooting %s do not overly impress either.

                              Timme has likely hit close to his ceiling in terms of skills and athleticism…skills are off the charts already but again just not NBA athleticism and don’t see potential to make a huge jump athletically with another season. If he is loving college and making good NIL money maybe he stays but if a pro career is his priority probably smart for him to embark on that journey sooner than later.

                              If we get to see a 100% healthy Dom Harris next season I’d guess he is the 3rd best NBA prospect on this team behind Holmgren and Sallis. Really hope we get a full, healthy season from him, Hickman, Sallis and Strawther next year!
                              Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by jsnider View Post
                                Boy, I sure hope Timme returns next year. but I think there is a possibility we lose Timme, Hickman, and Strawther for next year. I do not think it is a given that Hickman comes back. Look, I hope all 3 return as i think if they do - next year's team could be elite while still losing Nemby, Bolton, and Chet. i also think there is a possibility that if timme does come back - could Gregg transfer?? If Timme, Strawther, and Hickman come back then Timme, Watson, Strawther, Hickman, and Sallis would start. I think in that scenario both Dom and Gregg are at risk. IMHO.
                                I believe Bolton is able to come back as well..

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X