Gonzaga vs Pepperdine Post game thoughts and analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonzaga vs Pepperdine Post game thoughts and analysis

I was not able to see the game but I know Gonzaga won by a margin (117-83). Not sure if the score is correct. Could someone please write up a nice Post about the game, Please. We who did not see the game would appreciate it. I am on vacation and won't be seeing any of the games until the 24th. Thanks.

Go Zags!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

This may be one of the only games we have played this season where we resembled the team of last year with fast breaks, lost of passing and teamwork, and ferocious defense all game long.
    nice to see lots of bench players at end of game
    nice to see Strawther with 3 assists, hope he continues looking for the open man
    giving Sallis more than 20 min will have dividends in March, every week few is helping him find his place within the team offense

Nembhard ran the show and was the man for me, 8 assists
    Anton is showing the visible effort to be active we have all been waiting for. you can tell he is not used to it, and still isn't confident in some of his offensive movements, but its coming. twice he received a rebound close to the basket, and only looked for passing out to the perimeter, the day will come when he will always glance around to see if he can get a shot off that close in. On the other hand when he gets offensive rebounds now he usually considers make a score - everything moving in the direction we need him to go

i thot we wouldn't gel until Feb, but today was a big step in that direction

Comment

The Zags blitzed Pepperdine from the opening tip. They were up by 10 after just two minutes of play and up by 20 after ten minutes of play. The talent disparity between the teams is immense, but the Zags also looked like a far better-coached team. The Zags’ ball movement was excellent in the first half and they seemed to get a high percentage shot on every possession. The Waves had a hard time breaking the Zags’ 3/4 court press. Even when Pepperdine successfully “broke” the press, they took too long to do it and looked rushed once they tried to get into a half-court offense. At halftime, it felt like the Zags could win by 50, if they wanted to.
      “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

An embarrassing mismatch, I don't see how anyone can have any takeaways -- positive or negative -- from the Zags performance. An intra-squad walkthrough in a hotel ballroom would've been more competitive. Few saw fit to play only his lead players well into a 40 point lead, that was stunning; Gregg should have played more than 10m; Perry was hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
          An embarrassing mismatch, I don't see how anyone can have any takeaways -- positive or negative -- from the Zags performance. An intra-squad walkthrough in a hotel ballroom would've been more competitive. Few saw fit to play only his lead players well into a 40 point lead, that was stunning; Gregg should have played more than 10m; Perry was hurt.
          That being said, Few couldn’t just sit his starters at the 9 minute mark after being on a 2 week pause. He actually still needs to get them playing and gelling together and game time (regardless of the opponent unfortunately) is key to making that happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
          - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
            That being said, Few couldn’t just sit his starters at the 9 minute mark after being on a 2 week pause. He actually still needs to get them playing and gelling together and game time (regardless of the opponent unfortunately) is key to making that happen.

Of course. I just never understand why he doesn’t spot fringe players like Gregg into more meaningful minutes with first group players. Ten mins was absurd for Ben. And, honestly, wouldn’t last night have been a great opportunity to give Arlo 20m of PT, just because. He played 5.

Comment

As always damned if you do damned if your don’t by Jazz……Gregg did get a run in first half with starters….haven’t played in 2 weeks and got make sure starters shake the rust off with a BYU game coming up…………….
              Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Comment

Of course. I just never understand why he doesn’t spot fringe players like Gregg into more meaningful minutes with first group players. Ten mins was absurd for Ben. And, honestly, wouldn’t last night have been a great opportunity to give Arlo 20m of PT, just because. He played 5.
                He did. He got about last 2 minutes of first half run………

Comment

Plenty more WCC dreck ahead. Maybe Ben, a projected starter next year, and Kaden, get more than a few minutes run.

Comment

Unfortunately, KP appears to have lingering back issues thus unable to play. Would've like to see him on the floor and wondering if this will be an ongoing issue.

Zags came out strong and didn't let up. Liked just how fast they played during this game helping them prepare for a much tougher game coming up.

Did watch a bit of the BYU/St. Mary's game too (score 7-9 with 9 mins left in the 1st half). A yawner.

Comment

Plenty more WCC dreck ahead. Maybe Ben, a projected starter next year, and Kaden, get more than a few minutes run.
                      Kaden was unavailable

Do enlighten us how many more minutes you would have given Gregg…couple minutes first half and 8 minutes second half……taken into account we had not played for 2 weeks and have huge game coming up in 4 days

Play timme less than the 20 minutes he played
                      Play Holmgren less than the 21 minutes he played
                      Play Watson less than the 25 minutes he played
                      Played 4 minutes with only single big on court

Those are the choices please enlighten us how you would have handled the distribution of the available 80 minutes of two bigs on court at time

Comment

From Meehan…..

“….and the shot also gave the Bulldogs their highest point total in a WCC game since Feb. 12, 1994, when they scored 120 against Loyola Marymount, and their highest total in any game since scoring 120 against Idaho State on Nov. 6, 2018.“

ZZ

Comment

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
                          Kaden was unavailable

Do enlighten us how many more minutes you would have given Gregg…couple minutes first half and 8 minutes second half……taken into account we had not played for 2 weeks and have huge game coming up in 4 days

Play timme less than the 20 minutes he played
                          Play Holmgren less than the 21 minutes he played
                          Play Watson less than the 25 minutes he played
                          Played 4 minutes with only single big on court

Those are the choices please enlighten us how you would have handled the distribution of the available 80 minutes of two bigs on court at time
                          Why don’t you lighten up. Happy you found the game entertaining

Comment

Originally posted by zagzilla View Post
                            From Meehan…..

“….and the shot also gave the Bulldogs their highest point total in a WCC game since Feb. 12, 1994, when they scored 120 against Loyola Marymount, and their highest total in any game since scoring 120 against Idaho State on Nov. 6, 2018.“

ZZ
                            Jim needs to research a little more. He missed the 136 points GU scored in their loss against LMU on Feb 18, 1989.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...-schedule.html

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                            - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

Best quote from the AP recap:

"Pepperdine coach Lorenzo Romar did not meet with reporters after the game."
                              Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

Working...
                              X