Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by scrooner View Post
      I love Gonzaga and everything about the program. I love the players and i love the coaches. I'm sure some will argue with me but I am the biggest fan in SoCal and now that I am retired one of the things on my bucket list is to watch them play in every venue. We've done half and when we go to the Marriot Center in February, I will be decked out in Gonzaga gear from head to toe. We go to the WCC tournament every year and we went to the National Championship game in 2017. I love the Zags!!!!

I like the WCC and hope the conference does well. It would be great to get SMC, USF, and Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament.

I do not have a problem with SMC or USF or SCU or any of the other teams in the WCC as long as their success does not come at the expense of the Zags.

I REALLY do not like BYU at all - Let me repeat in case I wasn't clear - I REALLY DO NOT LIKE BYU. There is nothing about that team or program that I like. Cannot wait for them to leave the conference. Prior comments by Mark Pope and their players have turned me off completely. I did not have that visceral reaction when Dave Rose was coaching them.

I want to see Gonzaga come out strong and play that way for 40 minutes.

Zags 83
      Cougars 70
      Love the Zags!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jsnider View Post
        I love Gonzaga and everything about the program. I love the players and i love the coaches. I'm sure some will argue with me but I am the biggest fan in SoCal and now that I am retired one of the things on my bucket list is to watch them play in every venue. We've done half and when we go to the Marriot Center in February, I will be decked out in Gonzaga gear from head to toe. We go to the WCC tournament every year and we went to the National Championship game in 2017. I love the Zags!!!!

I like the WCC and hope the conference does well. It would be great to get SMC, USF, and Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament.

I do not have a problem with SMC or USF or SCU or any of the other teams in the WCC as long as their success does not come at the expense of the Zags.

I REALLY do not like BYU at all - Let me repeat in case I wasn't clear - I REALLY DO NOT LIKE BYU. There is nothing about that team or program that I like. Cannot wait for them to leave the conference. Prior comments by Mark Pope and their players have turned me off completely. I did not have that visceral reaction when Dave Rose was coaching them.

I want to see Gonzaga come out strong and play that way for 40 minutes.

Zags 83
        Cougars 70

I’m a Zag fan first, but a BYU fan second. I’m not sure what you’re referencing talking about Pope’s comments turning you off to BYU. He’s been consistently very complimentary of the Zags. He’s made it very clear he thinks their the best team in the country year after year. He is very animated on the court, but he’s hardly alone in that aspect.

As for what I expect this game having watched most games from both teams:
        Gonzaga 78-68

BYU is very assignment sound on defense. They do have two freshman in the post that we will likely be able to exploit, though both played very well against Tass and SMC. On offense BYU can struggle, though the 3 point ball has started to fall recently for them.

I’m not sure how they’ll approach defending Chet, or how they’ll manage to score around him. If Chet has a big game I think Gonzaga could route the Cougs. BYU’s worst game last year was against another athletic giant in Evan Mobley and USC.

Comment

+1

Comment

Originally posted by CaliZag44 View Post
            I’m a Zag fan first, but a BYU fan second. I’m not sure what you’re referencing talking about Pope’s comments turning you off to BYU. He’s been consistently very complimentary of the Zags. He’s made it very clear he thinks their the best team in the country year after year. He is very animated on the court, but he’s hardly alone in that aspect.

As for what I expect this game having watched most games from both teams:
            Gonzaga 78-68

BYU is very assignment sound on defense. They do have two freshman in the post that we will likely be able to exploit, though both played very well against Tass and SMC. On offense BYU can struggle, though the 3 point ball has started to fall recently for them.

I’m not sure how they’ll approach defending Chet, or how they’ll manage to score around him. If Chet has a big game I think Gonzaga could route the Cougs. BYU’s worst game last year was against another athletic giant in Evan Mobley and USC.
            I agree don’t recall anything negative coming from Coach Pope…..someone can provide me context would appreciate it…however, I could have blinders on as I coached him during summer Adidas league back in the day so I always wished him the best

As to some of the thuggery I totally dislike about some of the past BYU teams….
            Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Comment

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
              I agree don’t recall anything negative coming from Coach Pope…..someone can provide me context would appreciate it…however, I could have blinders on as I coached him during summer Adidas league back in the day so I always wished him the best

As to some of the thuggery I totally dislike about some of the past BYU teams….

The negative comments from Pope came two years in the Covid shortened year right before we played them and lost in Provo. In the interview, he suggested that Gonzaga was overrated and could be beaten. Maybe he was just trying to fire up his team but I didn't care for the way it came across. However, he was right in that they could be beaten because they were that Saturday night in February. I watched the interview with a reporter and I'm not sure where he was from. i have not seen anything in print that would qualify as anything to be upset about. that interview struck me as arrogant with no humility and i don't ever think Mark Few would say anything that would closely resemble what Mark Pope said. I will try and get my hands on it but am doubtful to be able to do so.

And then yes - there have been some players in the past that have not conducted themselves with great sportsmanlike conduct. I was not surprised to see the Caleb Lohner quote coming from someone at BYU. My guess is you wouldn't see anything like that from Timme or Strawther or anybody else. Am I a bit sensitive to the BYU stuff because of the history - absolutely. But the bottom line is I DO NOT LIKE THEM. For those who have them second behind Gonzaga on your favorites list - I respect that but sorry I can't get there.
              Love the Zags!!!

Comment

If the quote is genuine, talk about pot calling the kettle black... still, I haven't found a video or audio recording of this quote, or another source for this. I don't know if he actually said that.

Here's the link: https://twitter.com/DailyUnivSports/...608051712?s=20
                Originally posted by Reborn
                Go Zags!!!
                Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

He's always been very complimentary of GU actually, and it's just a funny comment, like 'everyone on our team hates Gonzaga and we're psyched to take them on'. It wasn't mean-spirited in any way, but still makes something fun to talk about. He's very well-spoken and seems like a nice dude.

https://youtu.be/y0o-jTHNbkM?t=115

Comment

He's always been very complimentary of GU actually, and it's just a funny comment, like 'everyone on our team hates Gonzaga and we're psyched to take them on'. It wasn't mean-spirited in any way, but still makes something fun to talk about. He's very well-spoken and seems like a nice dude.

https://youtu.be/y0o-jTHNbkM?t=115
                    Scrooner - Thank you very much for sending the youtube video. I was actually impressed with Lohner - as much as I hate to admit it, he seemed like a very good guy. I am willing to change my mind about BYU. This is step one.
                    Love the Zags!!!

Comment

The outlook from Provo (Jeff Call-Deseret News): https://www.deseret.com/2022/1/12/22...ready-for-test

Comment

I mean, if you play in the WCC and you don't "hate Gonzaga", you should probably change conferences. Ever play a sport against a team that always beats you, by a lot? We are like the Yankees of the WCC. Every kid who joins a WCC team probably thinks of us as the Death Star and themselves as the chubby pilots of rusty X-wings hoping to get a lucky shot at the thermal exhaust port.

Comment

The negative comments from Pope came two years in the Covid shortened year right before we played them and lost in Provo. In the interview, he suggested that Gonzaga was overrated and could be beaten. Maybe he was just trying to fire up his team but I didn't care for the way it came across. However, he was right in that they could be beaten because they were that Saturday night in February. I watched the interview with a reporter and I'm not sure where he was from. i have not seen anything in print that would qualify as anything to be upset about. that interview struck me as arrogant with no humility and i don't ever think Mark Few would say anything that would closely resemble what Mark Pope said. I will try and get my hands on it but am doubtful to be able to do so.

And then yes - there have been some players in the past that have not conducted themselves with great sportsmanlike conduct. I was not surprised to see the Caleb Lohner quote coming from someone at BYU. My guess is you wouldn't see anything like that from Timme or Strawther or anybody else. Am I a bit sensitive to the BYU stuff because of the history - absolutely. But the bottom line is I DO NOT LIKE THEM. For those who have them second behind Gonzaga on your favorites list - I respect that but sorry I can't get there.
                          Thanks. A head coaching saying they can beat a team is nothing but coach speak and far from negative or disparaging towards a program…..and Mark is far from arrogant trust me..he is a grounded, hard working, dedicated to the game of basketball individual…………now some of the thugs over the years I could do without
                          Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Comment

I think you misinterpreted that comment. Mark Pope was obviously speaking tongue in cheek. Listen to the entire interview. I have. He’s nothing but complementary toward Gonzaga and Few. I like Pope a lot. He comes across as a really good dude.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...overrated-quot

Here’s the thread we had on it when it happened. The video is in the twitter link. You can see him smiling right after he said he wanted Few to retire and Tommy to find another job. I think we can safely assume he was joking or meant to say underrated.

Zags 85
                            BYU 77
                            Birds aren’t real.

Comment

GU 84
                              BYU 70
                              The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

Comment

I swear to God, and I've mentioned it on the board before. I won't tell a lie. If Caleb had wooden teeth and a powdered wig, he'd look just like George Washington. Seriously.

We definitely don't want to lose to this guy, or he might drive his Dodge into the stands. 'Merica!

Comment

Working...
                                X