X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chet and NIL

Kevin Ko
    @NewsWithKevin
    Gonzaga’s Chet Holmgren signed a deal w/ Topps, which the trading card company calls “the biggest Name, Image & Likeness (NIL) investment that Topps has ever made w/ a collegiate athlete.” Topps & Holmgren will release a limited-edition card w/ proceeds donated to
    @CanDoCanines

Topps Acquired by Fanatics

The Topps Company will fall under the Fanatics umbrella later in 2022

From the NYT, Jan 4, 2022:

Topps, the business that put Bazooka bubble gum together with baseball cards more than half a century ago, now belongs to a fast-growing sports memorabilia empire that nearly knocked Topps out of the baseball-card game.

On Tuesday, Topps announced that it had sold its sports card business to Fanatics, a multibillion-dollar, 10-year-old company whose licensing business was built on sports fandom, technology and networking. The deal values Topps’s sports and entertainment division at slightly more than $500 million, according to people with knowledge of the situation, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the information is confidential.

Topps had previously announced a deal to go public. But in August, the company was blindsided when it lost its licensing agreement with Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association to Fanatics, putting its future in doubt. Fanatics and Topps began discussing the acquisition of Topps’s card business roughly a month after Topps lost the baseball contract, a person familiar with the situation said.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/04/b...rts-cards.html

CNBC covered the Topps - Fanatics story here: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/04/fana...ing-cards.html

Congratulations to Chet. Look forward to reading more about this.

Edit: Some info regarding Can Do Canines is here: https://greatnonprofits.org/org/can-do-canines and here: https://candocanines.org/
    Last edited by RenoZag; 01-12-2022, 12:26 PM.
    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

Chet continues to demonstrate amazing character. Impressive....well done Chet.

@CanDoCanines https://www.facebook.com/candocanines/

Comment

Gonzaga’s Chet Holmgren agrees to NIL deal with trading card company Topps

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...deal-with-tra/

Comment

Allowing NIL profits was the best possible way, IMO, to handle the enormously complex issue of "paying" college players. And as long as the rules stand as they are written now, it really benefits Gonzaga in the long-term for guys like Timme and Holmgren to get big endorsement money. The notion that only large schools in major metropolitan areas or "power" conferences can attract NIL money is misguided and I'm glad to see Chet cashing in.

Comment

yes, something that works for successful recruiting

Comment

Originally posted by zagfan24 View Post
              Allowing NIL profits was the best possible way, IMO, to handle the enormously complex issue of "paying" college players. And as long as the rules stand as they are written now, it really benefits Gonzaga in the long-term for guys like Timme and Holmgren to get big endorsement money. The notion that only large schools in major metropolitan areas or "power" conferences can attract NIL money is misguided and I'm glad to see Chet cashing in.
              I’m more plugged in on the football side but I heard a school this week offer a transfer player 1.2 million over 2 years if he comes there. Texas A&M and their oil money with the top signing class this year. Gonna be different. My hope is basketball doesn’t get to that level and Gonzaga is competing for the best guys still. Or maybe we have some people willing to drop bags on prospects too.

Comment

Originally posted by zagfan08 View Post
                I’m more plugged in on the football side but I heard a school this week offer a transfer player 1.2 million over 2 years if he comes there. Texas A&M and their oil money with the top signing class this year. Gonna be different. My hope is basketball doesn’t get to that level and Gonzaga is competing for the best guys still. Or maybe we have some people willing to drop bags on prospects too.
                I get the concern there, but could college football really become any more top heavy?

Comment

Jim Meehan
                  @SRJimm
                  ·
                  26m
                  Another NIL deal for Gonzaga freshman Chet Holmgren, who will be part of “Candy Sweet Futures” college basketball collection. Holmgren’s NFTs (non-fungible token) will drop in in late February.

A few weeks ago, Holmgren agreed to an NIL deal with Topps.

Candy
                  @CandyDigital
                  Ready for some hoops!?

Coming Soon - Candy Sweet Futures Starting 5 Basketball

Grab a Candy Sweet Futures American football NFT for early access: http://bit.ly/3GZAWm5

Comment

Originally posted by zagfan24 View Post
                    I agree. Try being a college athlete in L.A. and making a lot in NIL. Maybe a Heisman QB at USC but other than that...

Anyone else constantly get NILs and NFTs confused constantly? NILs I understand. NFTs, still working on it.
                    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                    Mark Twain.

Comment

Yeah DZ, I don’t understand the business plan of NFTs either. I’m still lost on crypto currency too
                      Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                      Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                      All mimsy were the borogoves,
                      And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

Stephen Wiseman
                        @stevewisemanNC
                        ·
                        6h
                        Duke's Paolo Banchero and Gonzaga's Chet Holmgren have signed NIL deals with Yahoo Sports to promote its NCAA tournament bracket contests.

Comment

Topps sold out the print run of Chet's "Can Do Canines" card. Print run was 2,205. Retailers were asking $8.99 and up.
                          The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

Working...
                          X