No announcement yet.

Week 11 Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see that Tommy's boys didn't get a single first place vote. That could very well change if they knock off the mighty Bruins in 8 days.
    The NBA playoffs, a best of 7 is always better than a best of 1.

Comment

How does voting work? Auburn has 11 more first place votes than we do, but we are still number 1. I don't understand that.
      Originally posted by Reborn
      Go Zags!!!
      Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

Originally posted by zagdontzig View Post
        How does voting work? Auburn has 11 more first place votes than we do, but we are still number 1. I don't understand that.
        See post #30 above and:

Each voter provides their own ranking of the top 25 teams, and the individual rankings are then combined to produce the national ranking by giving a team 25 points for a first place vote, 24 for a second place vote, and so on down to 1 point for a twenty-fifth place vote.
        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

Originally posted by zagdontzig View Post
          Must mean a lot of people who don't have them at #1 have them much lower.
          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

Jesse Newell goes strictly off the computer numbers. He has Auburn 9th. That is the main reason they are not number one.
            I don’t agree with his method but he is consistent. If I were an Auburn fan I’d be incensed.

https://collegepolltracker.com/baske...l/2021/week-11

Fifteen of his 25 picks are labeled extreme. (At least 5 spots from where the team is actually at)
            Birds aren’t real.

Comment

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
              Must mean a lot of people who don't have them at #1 have them much lower.
              Really just 2. One at 6th and one at 9th. Gonzaga almost exclusively top 2, a handful of 3, one 4th.

Comment

USA Today Coaches Poll - 1. 17. 21

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaa.../coaches-poll/

Zags # 1, Auburn #2

Zags received 23 1st place votes to Auburn's 8. Arizona picked up one first place vote

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

Remember when we used to bake a huge #1 cake when we topped the AP poll?

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/chom...king-huge-cake

ZZ

Comment

GU 1486 points (25)
                    AU 1482 points (36)

Wow that's as close as I can remember the top 2 teams being in points. Essentially a tie.

Style points count this week vs USF if we want to keep the top spot after a potential AU win vs. Kentucky.

ZZ

Comment

#1 Zags Forever (kind of)

Not a reach here, not a bold prediction, but here goes: Zags will remained the #1 team in both polls the rest of the season. Don't see anyone on the Zags's schedule that can hang with them. Plus, the Zags as teammates are going to feel more and more comfortable playing together. Plus-Plus, we are going to pound SMC or BYU or USF in the WCC Tourney Semi and Championship games.

The one way Auburn nudges the Zags off the top spot is if they whip up on their conference mates. Personally, I think they drop 2-3 games; plus, don't think they win their conference tourney. Saturday's game v. Kentucky will speak volumes about Auburn's legitimacy as a Top-5 squad.

:]

*Not an Auburn hater, not an Auburn's Coach hater. In fact, I like the team.
                      Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                        https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaa.../coaches-poll/

Zags # 1, Auburn #2

Zags received 23 1st place votes to Auburn's 8. Arizona picked up one first place vote
                        Someone has Auburn at 22? Arizona unranked?

Sketchy.
                        Birds aren’t real.

Comment

Originally posted by 23dpg View Post
                          Someone has Auburn at 22? Arizona unranked?

Sketchy.
                          Nate Oats gave his ballot to Nick Saban ? [/sarcasm]
                          Last edited by RenoZag; 01-17-2022, 10:07 AM.

Comment

You really can’t compare common opponents from different time periods. Oregon is a different team now than they were early in the year. The same is true for Alabama. Santa Clara stated strong but then lost a key player or two and was terrible for a period.

That sort of comparative analysis is just flawed.

Comment

I love that people are trying to use Alabama as a baseline too. Alabama might have the most variance of any ranked team in the country over the past few years, like in 2020 where they put up 3 game scores of 97 but also multiple game scores in the low 30s. Or last year when they put up 3 game scores of 100 as well as a 29 and a 45. This year they beat us with a game score of 99 and lost to Missouri with a game score of 23!

https://barttorvik.com/team.php?year=2020&team=Alabama

https://barttorvik.com/team.php?year=2021&team=Alabama

https://barttorvik.com/team.php?year=2022&team=Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by zagzilla View Post
                                Remember when we used to bake a huge #1 cake when we topped the AP poll?

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/chom...king-huge-cake

ZZ

Mmmmm, cake. We should do it again, and maybe send a piece to Jesse Newell this week. Ha.

Comment

Working...
                                X