Team 3-Point Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team 3-Point Shooting

Our team 3pt percentage is now .368, which matches last season's percentage exactly. But I wanted to see how our primary 3pt shooters look against last year's 3pt shooters. I set a cutoff at the top 5 shooters in volume, which lines up pretty well as a cutoff for both seasons (player 6 in 2021 only played 7 min per game, and player 6 in 2022 shoots less than one 3 per game).

What we're seeing currently is a better shooting percentage from our main shooters, and a wider spread in who's doing the shooting.

Great info, thank you! I also think about this when I think about KenPom or other numbers. With the number of games where we are pulling starters the last 4-5 minutes of games, the bench players will have a small but noticeable impact on our team numbers. Looking at the offense (or lack thereof) those last couple of minutes where players are shooting threes outside the flow of offense, and then the scramble on the D end it does effect things. Same with team 3 pt percent. Other teams have blow outs too, but I think from conference play on, we have a lot more bench minutes played than most teams in the top tier.

Comment

The rotation players are starting to hit those 3s. When we are hitting those 3s, we will be almost impossible to beat.Getting better all the time, just hope we peak at tournament time.

Comment

Great data and insight. Love this kind of thing. Team has made 10+ 3's in the past 3 games. Confidence is growing.

ZZ

Comment

SSF posted an excellent article this AM about Zags' 3 point shooting.....

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...7pmFXc7ahZ_vZg

"The Zags’ offense is still driven by two-point shots. Those field goals account for over half of their total attempts, which have been a pretty consistent trademark for the teams in recent years with the likes of Drew Timme and Filip Petrusev operating in the post. However, if a two-point reliant offense suddenly starts draining the three-pointers they weren’t earlier in the year, then, as we saw, the Zags’ offense goes from being merely elite to beyond elite."

ZZ

Comment

Originally posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
            The rotation players are starting to hit those 3s. When we are hitting those 3s, we will be almost impossible to beat.Getting better all the time, just hope we peak at tournament time.
            Everyone is on the upswing but Strawther, and he's got the most volume, so I'm not terribly worried about him. I imagine with slightly better shot selection, he could be pushing 40% as well.

Interesting note, but after starting a combined 0-9 in the first three games, Timme (4/10) and Watson (3/6) have been quite good with very, very limited shots. Maybe I don't need to cringe when those two guys take open threes.

Comment

Update:

Comment

Originally posted by scrooner View Post
                Update:

Chet shooting better than kispert is a nice surprise
                Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Comment

PPG. 90.8 this year. Vs 92.1 last year. Edge 2021
                  Rebounds: 42.2 this year versus 37.9. Edge 2022
                  Assists: 19.4 this year versus 18.3 ;Edge 2022
                  Steals. 6.8 this year versus 8.3. Edge 2021
                  Blocks: 5.7 this year versus 2.8. Ed;he 2022
                  Turnovers: 12.1 this year versus. 12.1. Edge. PUSH
                  FG%: 53.5 this year versus 55.1. Edge 2021
                  FT %. 70.7 this year versus 72.7. Edge 2021
                  3PT%: 37.8 this year. Versus 36.5. Edge 2022
                  Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Comment

As I was reading, I was curious to know how much the 3pt % as increased as the season moves forward and BOOM!, there it was, 45% as of late (thanks Scrooner and Hoop). My gosh, if they could maintain anything close to that going forward, the offense will be off of the charts! The great thing about a high-powered, high scoring offense is that in order for a team to erase the lead, they have to speed up, or risk runnig out of possessions to catch up. Speeding up against GU, isn't a good recipe for success either. So again, pick your poison!

Comment

Thanks for this -- great information!

Was thinking while at the game last night that the most pleasant surprise from 3 in the last few games has been Nembhard. He's shooting them with a lot of confidence.
                      Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Comment

I think we're an even better 3 point shooting team compared to last year than these spreadsheets even suggest. We were extremely top heavy last year, most of our 3 point shooting relied on a single person. We had only two people that took 3 or more attempts a game that were what someone would consider 'good' (34-35% or better). Baylor was able to really exploit this by running Kispert off the 3 point line, and we really didn't have anyone else outside of Ayayi that was somewhat consistent at hitting 3. This year we have 5 players at 36% or better with at least 3 attempts per game. Running 1 player off the 3 point line then mostly packing the paint won't work against this team. Also still holding out hope that Harris comes back at some point. I think I remember Few saying he's one of the best shooters on the team, so that could give us a 6th good 3 point shooter.

Comment

i am so glad the WCC as a conference seems to be inching upward in basketball level of play.
                          comparing this team to last years team is valid because they played the WCC opponents.
                          Our 3 pt shooting avg when compared to Power 5 schools in league play, is a different story.
                          I think kenpom accounts for this variable in producing some of his stats

Comment

Originally posted by tempe85 View Post
                            I think we're an even better 3 point shooting team compared to last year than these spreadsheets even suggest. We were extremely top heavy last year, most of our 3 point shooting relied on a single person. We had only two people that took 3 or more attempts a game that were what someone would consider 'good' (34-35% or better). Baylor was able to really exploit this by running Kispert off the 3 point line, and we really didn't have anyone else outside of Ayayi that was somewhat consistent at hitting 3. This year we have 5 players at 36% or better with at least 3 attempts per game. Running 1 player off the 3 point line then mostly packing the paint won't work against this team. Also still holding out hope that Harris comes back at some point. I think I remember Few saying he's one of the best shooters on the team, so that could give us a 6th good 3 point shooter.
                            I agree completely.

Comment

Great stats….schooner thanks for pulling this together…. You have all the stats!!! Good stuff.

Does anyone have an update on Harris?

Comment

Working...
                              X