Gonzaga vs San Francisco Post game thoughts and analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    The Zags shut down USF's offense down for long stretches last night and that was great to see against some pretty good players.

Timme was actually tested more in this game than many other games this year. It is easy to say that he was "off" in the first half but SFU had a lot to do with that-- Timme wasn't able to get to his usual spots and took some weird shots. I credit the USF bigs for that. (They got away with a few fouls but they utilized size and positioning well).

USF's rim protection surprised me a few times this game when they swatted good Zag drive attempts. This, plus the defense on Timme, erased 10+ points in this game. This was a good challenge that the team needed because it will be more like tournament time.

I could easily see USF winning a March tournament game.

The officiating left a lot to be desired last night, but at least it didn't seem to favor either team. I think the missed foul that precipitated the technical was actually a make-good for missing a foul when Nembhard had the ball in almost the same spot a play before.

Chet stepped up and acted like an NBA lottery pick in this game. Given that he doesn't physically dominate players and has to fight harder to get to his spots on offense, it is not a surprise that it took him half a season to get a feel for the college game and figure out how to better assert himself.

In kind of a cruddy offensive game for GU, I really liked the cutting action when Timme and Chet got the ball in the post. The opposing team has to pay so much attention to them that a cutting Strawther or Sallis is a very high percentage shot.
    I am leaning towards giving USF some credit… they are a top 25 defensive team and yet we scored 12 more points than their season average of giving up points on defense….while it took a while to figure it out, clearly we did. But for us to score 78 points against a top 25 defense is no slouch to be honest

All the while defensively we held a top 70 offense to 12 points less than their season average….solid defense by zags IMO
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Comment

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
      I guess I don’t understand or get the constant claim “few needs to give one of our other stellar guards more minutes at PG”

First : who are these stellar point guards on our roster….I seem to be missing this as the only one I know of one the bench is Hickman (sallis is NOT a point guard) so not sure who else more minutes can be provided to develop

Second: Hickman is averaging 20 minutes a game….how many more minutes does one need to be able to provide support at this position

Third: Hickman is doing a great job in developing his PG skill set in a very very difficult offense to learn, manage and engage in and at times he looks great, at times he looks like the Freshman he is.

So i ask who are these guards you speak about and as it pertains to Hickman how many more minutes per game does he gets?
      Bolton could certainly play more at point guard and become more effective there as he has occasionally filled that role. As far as Hickman is concerned, he is often in the game at the same time as Nembhard so has certainly not played the PG position in many of the minutes he has played. He is tremendously talented and has progressed but his performance last night was markedly below what this team is going to need to be successful in March. So play him at the point every time he's on the floor and let him get strictly PG minutes. Even if he's on the floor with Nembhard, Andrew is certainly able to fill the off guard/shooting guard role that he at times played last year when Suggs was running the offense. By the way, love your snarky and combative attitude-always welcome to improve the discussion on blog sites.

Comment

I am leaning towards giving USF some credit… they are a top 25 defensive team and yet we scored 12 more points than their season average of giving up points on defense….while it took a while to figure it out, clearly we did. But for us to score 78 points against a top 25 defense is no slouch to be honest

All the while defensively we held a top 70 offense to 12 points less than their season average….solid defense by zags IMO
        Me, too.

Comment

I guess I don’t understand or get the constant claim “few needs to give one of our other stellar guards more minutes at PG”

First : who are these stellar point guards on our roster….I seem to be missing this as the only one I know of one the bench is Hickman (sallis is NOT a point guard) so not sure who else more minutes can be provided to develop

Second: Hickman is averaging 20 minutes a game….how many more minutes does one need to be able to provide support at this position

Third: Hickman is doing a great job in developing his PG skill set in a very very difficult offense to learn, manage and engage in and at times he looks great, at times he looks like the Freshman he is.

So i ask who are these guards you speak about and as it pertains to Hickman how many more minutes per game does he gets?

As an addendum to my above response, I am sure you know that Sallis played point guard in high school. They may not be trying to develop him as one in the current lineup but they certainly could if they chose to and he certainly has the talent to take on that role with experience and coaching.

Comment

If you scroll down to the game scores in the Schedule / Results grid (game score is the 'G-SC' column on the far right), Barttorvik's metrics graded our game at '96', which is the same as what we got for the 117-83 beatdown of Pepperdine. Not our best, but 96 is still up there.

https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Gonzaga&year=2022

Comment

Great experience for Zags to recover from early punches by USF and weather Timme’s uncharacteristic poor shooting in first half. It’s gonna happen during a season. Answer is to control what you can, effort intensity and focus. Zags stuck w the gameplan, dialed in defensively and got the W. Much rather they experience this now (and again) as some such adversity will have to be overcome in the tourney to keep advancing. Nice job Zags!
              Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

Originally posted by Plainsman View Post
                As an addendum to my above response, I am sure you know that Sallis played point guard in high school. They may not be trying to develop him as one in the current lineup but they certainly could if they chose to and he certainly has the talent to take on that role with experience and coaching.
                He certainly is no where near ready to manage a D1 team of Zags caliber at this point and time and do not think IMO he will be this year

Comment

Bolton could certainly play more at point guard and become more effective there as he has occasionally filled that role. As far as Hickman is concerned, he is often in the game at the same time as Nembhard so has certainly not played the PG position in many of the minutes he has played. He is tremendously talented and has progressed but his performance last night was markedly below what this team is going to need to be successful in March. So play him at the point every time he's on the floor and let him get strictly PG minutes. Even if he's on the floor with Nembhard, Andrew is certainly able to fill the off guard/shooting guard role that he at times played last year when Suggs was running the offense. By the way, love your snarky and combative attitude-always welcome to improve the discussion on blog sites.
                  Sorry and apologize if you think my posts are snarky and/or combative. Not meant to be simply haven’t seen the season develop as described.

Comment

To say the Zags started slow would be understatement. However it is important to note that after USF initial run to 15-4 advantage, Gonzaga outscored the Dons 74-47 (+27). The output after a slow start could be called exceptional, and well done.

Comment

Most of our problems for the first 2/3rds of the game...wasn't a problem at all. It was simply SF playing VERY hard and Very smart. Drew's early game shooting woes were the result of good defense...they were forced shots. We simply weren't comfortable playing at that level right out of the gate. The last 1/3 we turned it up to match and EXCEED their level. The Zags have a speed they like to play at...and if you let them...they will kill you. Theres a reason teams play rough physical games against us at the dance....its the only way to win. Its hard to out execute GU. Games like last night might not help the stat sheet but, they make you find another gear... and at one point in the 2nd half....we showed THEM we can match you and EXCEED you. GREAT WIN against a highly motivated skilled TEAM.
                      Bolton might be the fastest guy up the court I've ever seen...

We need more lofts to Chet over the rim...the guy can go like 2 feet over the rim...NOT DEFENDABLE. We establush that we can control their center....want to demoralIze a "D".....go OVER them. Heres the new rule...theres needs to be 1 loft from every position...at least...till they stop it.

Comment

watched a couple of his high school games...maybe he was listed as a pg, but he wasn't the only primary ball handler for his team.

Comment

USF played a great first half, really put our Zags on their heels for a while. Good for two reason: (1) We really need conference mates who test us; (2) USF, methinks, firmed up their Dance chances after frittering away a lead (and some NCAA credibility) versus BYU.

This fan really likes USF and Saint Mary's (but loves the Zags -- ).

:]

Hoping, hoping Todd Golden doesn't leave USF for greener pastures.
                          Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

How about the CBSSports play by play guy giving a strong shoutout for GimmeTimme.com
                            Am I the only one unaware of this keep Drew in Spokane one more year funding opportunity we have?!

This is awesome baby.
                            https://www.gimmetimme.com/
                            Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
                              How about the CBSSports play by play guy giving a strong shoutout for GimmeTimme.com
                              Am I the only one unaware of this keep Drew in Spokane one more year funding opportunity we have?!

This is awesome baby.
                              https://www.gimmetimme.com/
                              The South Park style cartoons are pretty cool. . .
                              The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

Agree Reno! Very cool
                                Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                                Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                                All mimsy were the borogoves,
                                And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

Working...
                                X