No announcement yet.

Gonzaga vs San Francisco Post game thoughts and analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some very good posts. Thanks. Some good reading the day after the game. I know that USF is most always a really tough game for the Zags. I have loved this match-up over the years. There have been some really great games with USF. This was one more of those real good games in conference. The teams at the top of all conferences are good games, and this was true of our game last night. USF has a great coach and some really good players and one player who is a 5 star. I enjoyed watching the toughness of USF, which in the end brought out the toughness inside GU players. I don't mind a tough defensive battle at all, and when I coached I was a very good defensive coach, and as a player I was considered to be pretty tough for a 6 ft 170 pounder. I enjoy toughness. I agree with those who believe that when NCAA Tournament time comes, a very important factor for success in the tournament is toughness. Yes USF was tough, but the Zags were tougher and I liked that about the game.

Talking about toughness. Wow is Holmgren tough. Those who don't believe that he's a tough 7 footer should watch this game. I loved watching him get into his stance when playing against guards or wing players. He looked like a 7 foot guard. I agree that Nembhard is a great point guard, and maybe one of the best in the country. He really is like a great QB in football in his ability to pass, and knowing who to get the ball to. Looking forward to the game in San Francisco. It's going to be a war.

For me the game was just about what I felt it would be. I predicted the Zags would win by 17. The score was a little lower than I thought it would be, but I didn't do the research on USF that I could have. Keep up the great effort guys.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
      How about the CBSSports play by play guy giving a strong shoutout for GimmeTimme.com
      Am I the only one unaware of this keep Drew in Spokane one more year funding opportunity we have?!

This is awesome baby.
      https://www.gimmetimme.com/
      Yea I haven’t heard of that either. Might be worth its own thread. Would love one more year of Drew! Just ordered two pint glasses.
      "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Golden had d gameplay to check Drew 1v1 and found success until Drew adjusted imo. Golden didn't gamble on either Time or the Zag deep ball but instead challenged the midrange. You could really see his cards from their zone. Took the Zags a while to adjust and not rush the O which I thought they did last night a lot. Chet was big in getting to that understanding quick imo, AW too (he hit that 'we're daring you' 3 to ignite the early comeback) with Nemby. Opponents with bigs to matchup may look to do this more. Rui would destroy this approach from the elbow. USF a good team, well coached, agree with JP about March

Comment

Originally posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
          Yea I haven’t heard of that either. Might be worth its own thread. Would love one more year of Drew! Just ordered two pint glasses.
          I’m partial to the ‘Headband Together’ stuff: https://www.gimmetimme.com/listing/H...=2745&size=427
          Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

One important thing USF did that has not been commented on much is this: for about the first 2/3 of the game, they effectively stopped out fast break game. I felt like it was this in particular, and not just their overall defense, that led to them taking the early lead and staying in the game through halftime and into the second half. I believe they did better at slowing down our fast break and transition game than any team we played this year. This forced us into our half court, where a combination of their defensive aggresiveness, an off night for Timme in the first half, and some sloppiness led to one of the more offensively inept halves of basketball the Zags have played all year.

We should study what they did to stop the transition game so we can ensure that future opponents do not poach this approach and that if they do, we are prepared to have an answer.

Comment

Originally posted by 229SintoZag View Post
              One important thing USF did that has not been commented on much is this: for about the first 2/3 of the game, they effectively stopped out fast break game. I felt like it was this in particular, and not just their overall defense, that led to them taking the early lead and staying in the game through halftime and into the second half. I believe they did better at slowing down our fast break and transition game than any team we played this year. This forced us into our half court, where a combination of their defensive aggresiveness, an off night for Timme in the first half, and some sloppiness led to one of the more offensively inept halves of basketball the Zags have played all year.

We should study what they did to stop the transition game so we can ensure that future opponents do not poach this approach and that if they do, we are prepared to have an answer.
              really good point

Comment

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
                I’m partial to the ‘Headband Together’ stuff: https://www.gimmetimme.com/listing/H...=2745&size=427
                I was hoping there would be an actual headband but I don’t see one!

Comment

https://twitter.com/jgtrends/status/...873475586?s=20

Comment

That graphic says exactly what I saw. An easy win over a good team with very little contribution from the Zags best player. Very very good result.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowwy View Post
                      That graphic says exactly what I saw. An easy win over a good team with very little contribution from the Zags best player. Very very good result.
                      Well being the leading scorer is a pretty good contribution. I believe 16 second half points. That's when it counts most.

GoZags!

Comment

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                        Well being the leading scorer is a pretty good contribution. I believe 16 second half points. That's when it counts most.

GoZags!
                        Fair enough, I guess with half his points coming with the Zags up by over 10 points, it didn't feel like such a contribution. Most games, he is a big reason why they are up. It was just a positive message about the rest of the team.

Comment

Graph shows me we are a great TEAM
                          Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Comment

Also, Chet is our best player.

I remain hopeful Hickman will take more minutes from Bolton.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowwy View Post
                              Fair enough, I guess with half his points coming with the Zags up by over 10 points, it didn't feel like such a contribution. Most games, he is a big reason why they are up. It was just a positive message about the rest of the team.
                              I agree that Timme struggled the first half. Not only because of the tough defense put on him but also because, imo the took more very difficult shots than I've ever seen him take. IMO he was taking forced, bad shots instead of passing the ball. I'm sure Few addressed this at halftime because I did not see him forcing bad shots the second half. He was passing (moving the ball) and taking mostly open shots. He also shot pretty well from the foul line which helped. 16 second half points is pretty great wouldn't you say. A ten point lead is not a safe lead and you know that.

I've already talked about Holmgren and Watson and how well they played. I wanted to add some thoughts on Timme's leadership in the second half. He knew he had to change his game and he did. And the team found a way to help get him 16 second half points. And all of them were significant points. IMO.

Go Zags!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                                I agree that Timme struggled the first half. Not only because of the tough defense put on him but also because, imo the took more very difficult shots than I've ever seen him take. IMO he was taking forced, bad shots instead of passing the ball. I'm sure Few addressed this at halftime because I did not see him forcing bad shots the second half. He was passing (moving the ball) and taking mostly open shots. He also shot pretty well from the foul line which helped. 16 second half points is pretty great wouldn't you say. A ten point lead is not a safe lead and you know that.

I've already talked about Holmgren and Watson and how well they played. I wanted to add some thoughts on Timme's leadership in the second half. He knew he had to change his game and he did. And the team found a way to help get him 16 second half points. And all of them were significant points. IMO.

Go Zags!!!
                                Yeah, that makes sense. I was not trying to be negative, I was just pleased with the depth of the team. As I'm sure you remember, there were many seasons even in the past 15 years were Gonzaga did not have the offensive depth against the good teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X