Week 12 Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Was watching that game... wife comes in to the room, asks why that coach was sweating so much. I simply replied... that is what he does.
    And he does it so brilliantly. Almost like the FBI is waiting in the locker room. Of course, the team colors of Tennessee and Auburn, and his penchant for wearing tight shirts sans bra, doesn’t help. Looie never sweated.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...kee-violations

Comment

Kansas lurking at #5 and off the national radar in discussion of top teams. They are a dangerous looking #2 seed and a problem on somebody's bracket.

Not gonna cry like Auburn about #2. They're a good team and happy to let them wear the crown while GU takes care of business. Down the road, no one will remember who was the AP #1 in week 12.

That said, usually the #1 has to lose to drop. I can't think of another school with a #1 AP ranking on an 8 game winning streak getting demoted to #2. It also happened to us about this time in 2020 when Baylor jumped us for #1 despite Zags being on a 10 game winning streak. WCC narrative kicks in and recency bias for P5 schools prevails.

ZZ

Comment

Auburn is on probation. A team that is on probation should not be in the rankings at all. Arizona should be #2 and Auburn shouldn't be ranked anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
          Auburn is on probation. A team that is on probation should not be in the rankings at all. Arizona should be #2 and Auburn shouldn't be ranked anywhere.
          And Arizona is Caesar’s wife? C’mon.

Comment

Originally posted by scrooner View Post
            I don't really care where we're ranked as long as it's in the top 10 now and we end up with a good 1 seed in March.

Just for fun, GU vs Auburn. May they never top us in the end-of-year KenPem ratings.

The Y axis should be inverted. Start at 358 and go to 0. Either way, really appreciate the continue data and vizualizations.
            Originally posted by Reborn
            Go Zags!!!
            Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

Originally posted by zagzilla View Post
              Kansas lurking at #5 and off the national radar in discussion of top teams. They are a dangerous looking #2 seed and a problem on somebody's bracket.

Not gonna cry like Auburn about #2. They're a good team and happy to let them wear the crown while GU takes care of business. Down the road, no one will remember who was the AP #1 in week 12.

That said, usually the #1 has to lose to drop. I can't think of another school with a #1 AP ranking on an 8 game winning streak getting demoted to #2. It also happened to us about this time in 2020 when Baylor jumped us for #1 despite Zags being on a 10 game winning streak. WCC narrative kicks in and recency bias for P5 schools prevails.

ZZ
              I am fine with teams jumping us after big conference wins. A one or two loss season in a conference with other top 10 teams is more impressive than running the table in the WCC, which even when it’s good like this year doesn’t have a top 20 team. Auburn has a prime let down spot tomorrow but otherwise a pretty favorable schedule going forward. But they will lose eventually because they’re not on some tier of their own and eventually those teams get beaten in a good league. So we’ll probably end the season number 1 but I don’t mind getting jumped since we don’t have serious competition in our league.

Comment

When being ranked #1 was new to Spokane that first time it was a big deal, and it still is cool. But now I think it motivates P5s and their fans more than anything else, those who will never be convinced otherwise because to them GU is overrated always from the WCC. Even 2 Championship games and excellent tournament record mean nothing to them. I'm willing to wager even a natty would not convince them, they know better because they tell you so, and who cares about the actual record of Zag success. Takers?

Comment

Originally posted by zagdontzig View Post
                  The Y axis should be inverted. Start at 358 and go to 0. Either way, really appreciate the continue data and vizualizations.
                  Thanks! You've inspired me to learn how to do that, ha ha.

Comment

Thanks! You've inspired me to learn how to do that, ha ha.
                    In retrospect, it was an ungrateful observation on my part. We all appreciation the analytics you post. Thank you for doing that.
                    Originally posted by Reborn
                    Go Zags!!!
                    Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

Felt it worth pointing out (at 9pm) that the Zags stayed #1 in the Coaches Poll.
                      sigpic
                      “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                      ——-
                      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
                        Auburn is on probation. A team that is on probation should not be in the rankings at all.
                        Totally agree. What a terrible look for the sport to have a team be put on probation and then ranked #1 a month later. Have to laugh at their self-imposed post season ban in a season they went 13-14.

Comment

and we are #2 on CBS +1

Comment

With Arizona's loss to UCLA Gonzaga once again became #1 in NCAA NET (the official tracking). So the Zags are #1 in the Coaches Poll, KenPom, NET, Sagarin and others.

The Zags are no lower than #2 in any of the above. Interesting to see AP #1 Auburn at #9 in Sagarin, #8 on KenPom and #6 on NET.
                            sigpic
                            “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                            ——-
                            List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                            Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

Auburn posted a 'game score' of 54 in their win against Missouri: https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Auburn&year=2022

To give a frame of reference for how bad that win was last night...

Our worst of the season was a 61 in a loss to Alabama.
                              Arizona's worst was the 60 they put up last night against UCLA.
                              Duke's 2-point win over Clemson last night was a 79.

Comment

Auburn posted a 'game score' of 54 in their win against Missouri: https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Auburn&year=2022

To give a frame of reference for how bad that win was last night...

Our worst of the season was a 61 in a loss to Alabama.
                                Arizona's worst was the 60 they put up last night against UCLA.
                                Duke's 2-point win over Clemson last night was a 79.
                                Oklahoma isn’t good this year, but I give them a decent shot to beat Auburn, even on the road.

Comment

Working...
                                X