X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BoZarth
    Kennel Club Material
    • Feb 2007

Talk about a walk/read down memory lane.

The boards have evolved and changed over the years that's for sure. Different expectations, but then twenty years ago we were like 3 years into this ride. Kinda feel like many of the posters back then had a better understanding of where GU basketball had risen from and knew if it all ended the next season then, well, it was fun while it lasted.

Well, it sure is lasting.

How lucky are we?

Go Zags!!!!

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
      • Feb 2007

Bravo Bowser. Bravo
      "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• Birddog
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Thanks Bowser for shaking the memory tree. I had completely forgotten about Gunther. The first iteration of the board that I knew was run by a
        guy named Jim Allen who I am told is not related to the Jim Allen that writes for the Spokesman. Jim would sneak into practices to give us tidbits about the team and eventually became a real nuisance to the staff. In the early days the board was starved of content especially in the off season. It looked to me like there were more than a couple of posters that had created an alter ego so I decided I would too. A lot of my posts were written after 10PM CST and wouldn't always load for awhile on my dialup connection. My first Gunther post was actually under user name G. Oddrib (Birddog backwards) but the next morning it had been changed to Gunther Oddrib ,I assume by Allen.. There was a lot of back and forth between posters back in the day and it was a blast because many of us had no idea who it was we were jousting with. Allen eventually tired of the hassles and turned it all over to BobZag in (I believe) what was the 2nd iteration in which the Burrito post was made. In that board I was Birddawgus because somebody had already grabbed Birddog.

Russel Robert was Russell Bevan who wrote articles for a wine mag. He moved to California from Minnesota to pursue a career in wine. I think he is now a vintner. I think there were 2 regulars from New Jersey one of which was a female, NJZag I believe. Penunsula Dog, Gordo (who I think became Hondo) and Tacoma Zag were also there in the early days. Do you remember Zagman? He was a high school kid from Everett that posted prolifically for a couple years and then disappeared. I'm forgetting several and I apologize for that. We can't leave out MeeZag the hottie from Kansas that for a time was SnapCo's spokesmodel, she single handedly opened up the SnapCo brand to the mature market. Good times back then, I still miss Jane!
        Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
        Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
        All mimsy were the borogoves,
        And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2008

I saw the tail end of this type of shenanigans when I fedora tatted coming around. The Snapco stuff was great, and I wondered by Bowser rarely came around. (I also miss Dirt McGirt from the SMC board, who used to drop in every once and awhile). The Old Dog thread needs to included a thread where you all just do your thing and entertain everyone with your humor.

Comment

• 229SintoZag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Thanks for the memories. Yes I fondly remember SiliconZag’s amusing posts. He had a thing where he hated the Stanford Cardinal. And back then we were playing them now and then on the OOC schedule. He would annually post “Stanford Delenda Est,” his own poem waxing on about all things wrong and backward at the Farm. He later moved to Italy as I recall and sort of faded out as a presence on the board. A few other regulars from back in the day were Kdoggy, PeninsulaDog, Treehorn and of course Hondo. We would occasionally get a random post from ExtremeJim and Zag4life. And we can never forget the enthusiasm of the late great El Voce, who I had the pleasure of sitting next to at K2 games for years before he passed on.

I’m a world where we have seemingly only newer younger posters here it’s been fun to look back and reminisce.

Bowser thanks for weighing in and sharing that. I miss those posts and I miss the spirit of the old boards. There was never as much fun as a good Snapco update thread, with Bowser and Birddog exchanging “memos.”

Good stuff all around.

Comment

• mikeness30
              Redshirt
              • May 2022

Bowser imagined me being 500 pounds, sweaty and one finger typing. Well I am proud to report heaviest I have ever been is 245 and I was fortunate enough to take a typing class in high school that paid huge dividends for me in college typing my papers and typing papers for some of my teammates for payments in cash and beer. At nearly 6’7” even 245 with two reconstructed ACL’s and with surgeries on both of my ankles when I played at 190 is way too much weight. ?.

The burrito post is a classic- I reread it and laughed out loud. I hope all of the crew that was on the board 20 years ago and is still here are doing well.

Been a wild last 2 decades for the Zags to be sure. That UCLA game might be one of the greatest tournament games ever.

Comment

• GoZags
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mikeness30 View Post
                Bowser imagined me being 500 pounds, sweaty and one finger typing. Well I am proud to report heaviest I have ever been is 245 and I was fortunate enough to take a typing class in high school that paid huge dividends for me in college typing my papers and typing papers for some of my teammates for payments in cash and beer. At nearly 6’7” even 245 with two reconstructed ACL’s and with surgeries on both of my ankles when I played at 190 is way too much weight. ?.

The burrito post is a classic- I reread it and laughed out loud. I hope all of the crew that was on the board 20 years ago and is still here are doing well.

Been a wild last 2 decades for the Zags to be sure. That UCLA game might be one of the greatest tournament games ever.
                Good …check that …. GREAT to “see” you !!!
                sigpic
                “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                ——-
                List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• 229SintoZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Yes! Mikeness returns…..after what—over a dozen years MIA here on the board?

Welcome back Mike. Don’t be a stranger here….and thanks for your “inspiration” for what became one of the top 5 posts in the history of this board….

Comment

• mikeness30
                    Redshirt
                    • May 2022

Thank you for those kind words Gozags and 229SintoZag. At least a dozen years- probably 15 plus at least. Yes you now at least somewhat see me with the addition of the Avatar/picture. Albeit that was me 25 years ago. My only run at Hoopfest. Wonderful tournament! I am certainly not this guy…
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                      • Feb 2007

229 should be a bounty hunter. He found his man ?
                      'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                      - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• Bowser
                        Kennel Club Material
                        • Feb 2007

Mikeness, it is so cool that you came back. I've been out of this GU thing for a while myself. However, a few notes.

1. Accuracy:

MN30,
                        Bowser imagined me being 500 pounds, sweaty and one finger typing.
                        Actual Bowserism
                        The Mikeness posts were classic. I imagined a big lug bent over his keyboard, sweat rolling from his brow, as he two-finger typed 500 or more words on how to conduct a 3 man weave drill

Having attended GU during the 70s, alums of my vintage would never need to imagine someone overweight. Plus many "big lugs" are quite svelte.

2. Since You Asked:

I actually found some of my old stuff from 2007. Here's an old SnapCo memo. The outline numbers/letters are screwed up [and I am too lazy to update them] but I would expect even recent GU grads to get the basic idea.

TO: Birddog

Re: SnapCo LLC Spokesmodel

Date: October 21. 2007

Given the recent surge in the number of applications for spokesmodel, I think your suggestion that we use a Q and A format to whittle down the candidates is a good one. At my age, I just don’t have the stamina to endure that many consecutive interviews.

Mee755 is a gift from God in my opinion. How she made it through the Jesuit female extroversion defenses, I will never know. And she apparently has dipped into the Novitiate wine too. Things have obviously changed since we walked the sacred ground. I saw a post a couple of weeks back that included the phrase “10 pounds in a 5 pound bag.” It brought back the memories. If Mee755 is any indication, that metaphor is “non-operative.”. There must be more of them like her out there. I think I need a masters degree.

So back to the issue. Here are some sample questions for the questionnaire. This is business, so be as critical as you want.
                        1. Next to college basketball, the best sport is
                          1. Cycling
                          2. Greco-Roman Wrestling
                          3. Bull-riding
                          4. Pole-dancing
                          5. Poker
                        1. One of the best things you can do for a competitive cyclist, especially an older one, is give him a hot oil total body massage. True or False.
                        1. Sheryl Crow is
                          1. no poet and without Sapphic qualities
                          2. doesn’t’ know how to keep a cyclist happy
                          3. needs some meat on her bones
                          4. would not be a good Snapco representative.
                          5. all of the above
                        1. The author Hunter S Thompson’s tragic suicide could have been prevented if women had been more attentive to his special physical needs. True or False
                        1. If you could appear on the cover of any periodical, your first choice would be
                          1. Sunset
                          2. Sports Illustrated
                          3. Maxim
                          4. Cosmopolitan
                          5. Oprah
                          6. Tiger Beat
                        1. Current laws prohibiting sexual harassment
                          1. are completely unnecessary
                          2. get in the way of meaningful relationships
                          3. are just right
                          4. should include the death penalty or, at least chemical castration
                        1. Jane is not your name and you have never met anyone named Jane or Gunther in your entire life and you were not raised in an apple orchard. True or False.

Regarding insurance, WooHoo said he could get us a much tail “as we needed.” He is obviously weaseling on us. You better read the policy this time.

BTW, the Athletic Department has rejected the use of potato guns at games. Seems they think it will “offend the Irish community.” As if that was even possible. They also ruled out bazooka, but I didn’t even want to ask why. They better get with the program or the Velodrome will never and I mean never be built on the Quad.

This looks to be our most successful enterprise yet. The excitement on the board was palpable.

Comment

• mikeness30
                          Redshirt
                          • May 2022

Bowser, that was very funny but all your name ever makes me think of is Sha Na Na, but then perhaps on one level it is supposed to.

Great post that brings out ancillary and loosely associated memories of my own.

On being on covers, Sports Illustrated’s most importantly I have memories involving two covers.

Memory one- I was working at Bear Sterns on Park Ave, and myself and two of my cohorts went out to grab lunch. Walk up a couple blocks to grab some mystery meat from a food cart and on the other side of the street a photo shoot was going on with people wizzing pay completely unaware that Paulina Porznikova was in a bathing suit at 1 PM on an early day in June having pictures taken. We grabbed a seat, ate and watched for the next 30 minutes.

Memory two- my final year in college we played St. John’s at their place in Queens- we played them every year- that was the year a certain Freshman they had signed named Felipe Lopez was on SI’s college hoops cover. My younger brother had come up from college in Virginia to spend Christmas with me. He and I split a bottle of Vodka and Rum the night before the game. As the game began all of these folks from DR, because Felipe was from DR, we’re running around alumni hall with DR flags singing songs in Spanish as if we were at a soccer game. I checked in about 7 minutes in and proceeded to have to guard Felipe. He managed to put up two air balls on me. During a free throw we were next to each other and all he was doing was babbling in Spanish. Only thing I could make out was fuego. I asked him what he was saying and he told me he was telling himself he was on fire. I kindly reminded him that this was not true and that he had just shot two air balls with the slowest white man in college basketball guarding him. He just laughed.

To circle back with a final story that involves GU- more importantly a Gonzaga Basketball camp shirt that I still have and is so old it has Reebok on the back of it. It also involves the Irish. One Saturday I told one of my buddies to meet me at Swift Hibernian on 4th, great Irish pub to visit if you are ever in the City. I got there at noon and decided to wear the Gonzaga Basketball shirt that day. My buddy was going to meet me at two but I wanted to get lunch and start my evening of drinking. I ordered food and was doing the Post’s crossword puzzle when around 1:30 or so six fairly intoxicated young ladies with rather definitive brogues stumbled in. They sat in a booth across from me while I sat at the end of the bar drinking and doing the crossword. After 15 minutes of hearing them talk two of them were tasked to come speak with me. They asked if I went to Gonzaga, I said no then they asked me what county I was from, I said Spokane and they then responded with is that in Ireland? I said no the state of Washington. They invited me to come sit with them and GU played a role in all of that. Needless to say when my buddy showed up 45 minutes later he also was very pleased regarding what my Gonzaga shirt had made possible. Turned out to be six nurses from Ireland working in NYC.
                          Last edited by mikeness30; 05-26-2022, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• willandi
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2007

Bowser, that was very funny but all your name ever makes me think of is Sha Na Na, but then perhaps on one level it is supposed to.

Great post that brings out ancillary and loosely associated memories of my own.

On being on covers, Sports Illustrated’s most importantly I have memories involving two covers.

Memory one- I was working at Bear Sterns on Park Ave, and myself and two of my cohorts went out to grab lunch. Walk up a couple blocks to grab some mystery meat from a food cart and on the other side of the street a photo shoot was going on with people wizzing pay completely unaware that Paulina Porznikova was in a bathing suit at 1 PM on an early day in June having pictures taken. We grabbed a seat, ate and watched for the next 30 minutes.

Memory two- my final year in college we played St. John’s at their place in Queens- we played them every year- that was the year a certain Freshman they had signed named Felipe Lopez was on SI’s college hoops cover. My younger brother had come up from college in Virginia to spend Christmas with me. He and I split a bottle of Vodka and Rum the night before the game. As the game began all of these folks from DR, because Felipe was from DR, we’re running around alumni hall with DR flags singing songs in Spanish as if we were at a soccer game. I checked in about 7 minutes in and proceeded to have to guard Felipe. He managed to put up two air balls on me. During a free throw we were next to each other and all he was doing was babbling in Spanish. Only thing I could make out was fuego. I asked him what he was saying and he told me he was telling himself he was on fire. I kindly reminded him that this was not true and that he had just shot two air balls with the slowest white man in college basketball guarding him. He just laughed.

To circle back with a final story that involves GU- more importantly a Gonzaga Basketball camp shirt that I still have and is so old it has Reebok on the back of it. It also involves the Irish. One Saturday I told one of my buddies to meet me at Swift Hibernian on 4th, great Irish pub to visit if you are ever in the City. I got there at noon and decided to wear the Gonzaga Basketball shirt that day. My buddy was going to meet me at two but I wanted to get lunch and start my evening of drinking. I ordered food and was doing the Post’s crossword puzzle when around 1:30 or so six fairly intoxicated young ladies with rather definitive brogues stumbled in. They sat in a booth across from me while I sat at the end of the bar drinking and doing the crossword. After 15 minutes of hearing them talk two of them were tasked to come speak with me. They asked if I went to Gonzaga, I said no then they asked me what county I was from, I said Spokane and they then responded with is that in Ireland? I said no the state of Washington. They invited me to come sit with them and GU played a role in all of that. Needless to say when my buddy showed up 45 minutes later he also was very pleased regarding what my Gonzaga shirt had made possible. Turned out to be six nurses from Ireland working in NYC.
                            That story reminded me of this:

"I was at the bar the other night ...

... and overheard three very large women talking at the bar. They all spoke with a heavy brogue accent.

I made an unfortunate assumption that their accents appeared to be Scottish… so I approached and asked, “Hello, are you three lassies from Scotland?”

One of them angrily screeched, “It’s Wales… you bloody idiot!”!

So I immediately apologized…. and replied, “I am so sorry! Are you three whales from Scotland?”

And that’s the last thing I remember."
                            Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• GoZags
                              Super Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
                              229 should be a bounty hunter. He found his man ?
                              Hey !!! I don’t think the Statue of Limitations is up for the Crosby Library caper (Substituting a statue of Mickey Mouse for the “Going my Way” Oscar just before a meeting …. with Bing … in the Crosbyana room). Bing reportedly laughed but I understand the Jesuits have looong, looong is memories.

And Bing’s Oscar never was missing. Just a couple of feet away behind some books. Or so I have heard (3rd hand).
                              sigpic
                              “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                              ——-
                              List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                              Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• mikeness30
                                Redshirt
                                • May 2022

That is a great story. I always hung my hat on Bing being a Tacoma guy and a Zag. Used to bring that up when some of my denser college chums would say with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains et al now my home state has produced some famous people.

As for Whales and Scotland, that is very funny. Of course I went to a college where a mixed marriage was between someone of Italian heritage and Irish heritage.

Comment

Working...
                                X