#WCChoops Women's Basketball 2021-22 Season Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #WCChoops Women's Basketball 2021-22 Season Preview

For the first time in many years, the WCC Mbb and Wbb are not congregating in Las Vegas in person to kick off the college basketball season. It appears this year a WCC sports columnist put together a written summary of the league overall and each team individually.

2021-22 Women's Basketball Season Preview
    Jeff Faraudo (WCC Columnist)

For the first time in nine seasons, the Gonzaga women are not projected as West Coast Conference champions by the league’s coaches. BYU gets that honor, and deservedly so.

But few are counting out the Zags.

“They’re not going anywhere,” Santa Clara coach Bill Carr said.

Saint Mary’s coach Paul Thomas believes BYU is the favorite but laughed at the notion Gonzaga will fade from contention. “I’m never fooled by that kind of stuff.”

“BYU has its whole team coming back. They have to be everybody’s top pick,” USF’s Molly Goodenbour added. “But Gonzaga is Gonzaga — they kind of reload. Even though they lost some players, they have a great system.”

Gonzaga coach Lisa Fortier, whose team graduated three elite players including a pair of former WCC Player of the Year honorees, said that’s all part of how this works.

“I’ve said it before, the sign of a good program is you lose good players every year,” Fortier said. “The goal doesn’t change.”

To achieve that goal and stay on top, Gonzaga will need to overcome a BYU squad that Carr says is underrated nationally. “I saw the AP poll and they weren’t even receiving votes. I was shocked by that,” he said. “A team that had a chance to beat the runner-up in the NCAA tournament.”

The Cougars lost 52-46 in the second round of the NCAAs to an Arizona squad that went on to lose by just one point to Stanford in the national championship game.

BYU, like so many teams around the country, is deeper and more experienced this season because players were given the chance by the NCAA to play another year due to the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic the past two seasons.

BYU coach Jeff Judkins loves his team, but he knows the WCC won’t be forgiving. “This is my 11th year [in the WCC] and this is the best we’ve been from 1 to 10,” he said of the league’s depth. “Everybody’s got everybody back.”

Almost everybody, anyway.
    You can read the individual team summaries and see the pictures here: https://wccsports.com/news/2021/11/9...n-preview.aspx

ZagDad

BYU is handling the Cavinder twins from Fresno St., up 20 late.

St. Mary's has had a couple of 4th quarter rallies to pull out close wins (Nevada, UC Davis).

USF just got crushed by Cal, playing in a darn near empty Chase Center (Golden State Warriors arena).

Pacific had a double digit lead early but collapsed in the 2nd half against UC Riverside.

San Diego had a 4th quarter rally that fell short against Washington last night. Cut a 16 point deficit down to 3, but couldn't get closer. Teams combined for 61 TOs. That is not a misprint.

Fairly hit and miss results for the WCC thus far.

Comment

I gotta rant a little. I watched the USF game. The arena was empty. There probably weren't more than 100 people in there. Official attendance listed as 2057. Absolutely bogus. There's a double header w/ the men, that might be tickets sold, but none of those people were there. Why count tickets sold instead of people that enter the building? Makes no sense at all.

I streamed 2 games today w/ the exact same scenario. Utah played a home game w/ absolutely nobody there, and claimed attendance of 1600+. Guaranteed there weren't even 1/4 of that number there.

Comment

BYU took out a ranked Florida St. team today. The Cougs are having a good OOC so far.

Comment

Yes, Florida State was ranked 17th going into today.

ZagDad

Comment

BYU edges #22 West Virginia. Might find themselves ranked in the next poll. 7-0 and 2 wins over ranked teams.

Comment

Pacific just threw a major scare into Oregon St. Led most of Q4 before coming up just short 76-72. Were 2-4 coming into the game w/ only 1 win against a D1 opponent, so there was absolutely no reason to expect this. Anaya James was unstoppable w/ 31 points.

Comment

BYU is #21 in the AP and #23 in the coaches poll this week.

Comment

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
                  BYU is #21 in the AP and #23 in the coaches poll this week.
                  And Oregon State was the reverse: #23 in AP poll and #21 in Coaches poll.

Comment

Future Lady Zag opponent, UC Davis is up 7 over #18 Oregon with less than 5 minutes remaining.

ZagDad

Comment

Down goes KG's squad 64-57 by UC Davis.

Ducks are now 3-3 on the season.

ZagDad

Comment

#22, 7-0 Florida Gulf Coast goes down to unranked Princetcon 58-55.

ZagDad

Comment

Originally posted by ZagDad84 View Post
                          Down goes KG's squad 64-57 by UC Davis.

Ducks are now 3-3 on the season.

ZagDad
                          I don't know how good they are this year but watched a lot of the game. UC Davis pretty much had the lead for most of the game. Year-in-and-year-out they are a really good program. Tough, gritty, disciplined, and usually a bunch of good shooters.

Jennifer Gross has done a nice job down there over the years. Seems like an Aggie-lifer as well.

Comment

#18, undefeated Ohio State goes down to 3-4 Syracuse, 97-91.

Lots of loses in the lower reaches of the Top-25. Maybe some room for the lady Zags to make it into the Top-25 next week if the can beat Wyoming.

ZagDad

Comment

Read the WCC article again….

Two things stuck out to me.
                              First was BYU returning all of last years team.
                              Second was CLF saying that every year our team looses great players… which is true.

The coaches know that GU WBB runs a program that reloads year after year. I wonder, knowing BYU plays their starters for the most part close to a full game, how do they plan on filling those positions with experienced players?. Their players have started for a number of years.
                              With GU WBB, there is evolution. From spot player to rotation player to starter. We have had great players not start until their senior years yet have a lot of playing time as part of the rotation.

I know there has been a lot of talk about BS should be getting more time on the court…. Well as good as she will be, give her time to learn and get comfortable. Last game 1 for 6 from the 3… I know she is better than that.

As we have seen in the WCC… GU will still be getting the other teams best games. That’s called respect.

Interesting about UC Davis…. Hope GU is taking note.

ZD… I just don’t see GU WBB getting any respect this year in the rankings after last years early exit. I think we will need to prove again to them that we are worth of a spot in the top 25. If we get into the dance, as we should, I see a low ranking in the tournament.

Go Zags!!

Comment

Working...
                              X