No announcement yet.

Ongoing 2021-2022 Lady Zag Development, Observation from games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we have a little bit of apples and oranges going on here.

We all know that every player will not be at their best in every game. No matter what side of the Jordan vs LeBron debate you are on, there are (were) days where these players are not the best player on their team, let alone the best player in the league or the best player of all time. You simply cannot be at your best every game due to whatever reason (sickness, matchup problems, opposition schemes, etc.). One of the coach's responsibilities is to put the best team on the court that gives the team the best chance to win.

In the games where you win by 20+ points and the outcome is not in question, obviously the coaching staff have the opportunity to try new things (plays, rotations, positions, etc.) and give more Playing Time (PT) to those on the bench who don't normally get much PT. It is the games, where the outcome is in doubt, that create the interest.

Two questions for you to ponder?

First, a general comment, how much PT to you give to a senior who is averaging 26+ mpg, 21.1% shooting overall, 0% from 3 and 40.0% from the free throw line to "find her shot" and how much PT to you give a freshman who is your highest rated recruit in history to develop her game for benefit in the future?

Secondly, when you look at the team statistics (particularly defensive in the Montana Game and offensive for the last 3 quarters of the Stanford game) and the individual statistics for the GU players who were on the court at the end of each game, can you honestly say that CLF had the players (regardless of their seniority) that gave GU the best opportunity to win that game, on the court in the last 5 (or 10) minutes of the game?

IMO when the game comes down to foul shooting, leaving people in the game who shoot 40% or 67% on their free throws when you have people on the bench who shoot 85+% on their free throws is IMO, ridiculous.

Similarly, when your team scores 23 points the first quarter and follows that up with scoring 12 points (2nd quarter), 12 points (3rd quarter) and 5 points in the first 5 minutes of the 4th quarter, when exactly do you realize the status quo is not working and a change (in scheme, personnel, etc.) is needed?

This is not about coaching philosophy, not about seniors and freshman, this is about making in-game decisions that put the "team" in the best position to win. Can you say, in your opinion, that CLF put the Lady Zags in the best position to win the Montana and Stanford games with her line-ups at the end of the game?

I can't.

ZagDad

Comment

Freshman Jenna Johnson playing for Utah #42 recruit two spots higher than Bree.

Jenna Johnson 6'2" Forward Freshman starts for Utah stats thru 4 games 24-38 FG 63%, 3-6 3 pointers,7-8 free throws, 21 rebounds, averaging 5.3 rebounds a game. Gonzaga will playing Utah in Hawaii.

Let Bree play against her contemporaries, let her flourish and develop.

We will also being playing Eastern Illinois in Hawaii. Playing for Eastern Illinois Freshman Miah Monahan 5'8" guard averaging 20.7 minutes a game and Freshman Julia Bengston 5'8" guard averaging 18 minutes a game.

The quicker you can develop your talent the better team you will become.

Thank You to Melody for doing the right thing, and setting the example for those around you, I hope you continue to do so.
      Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 11-24-2021, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Well ZD as mad as I am at CLF right now, I probably shouldn’t comment. (Article in the SR)

For the games, maybe. For the end of the games, no.

We discussed the Montana game… for Stanford, I understand why she was switching her best defensive player with her best offensive player. But to do that she used up a time out she may have needed… Stanford was the better team and to stay with them… well lets give them some credit.

I figure as a STH for 15 years, I have watched over 500 games. That said, I haven’t the insight that CLF has on her players or the help she gets from her staff.

Go Zags!!

Comment

Originally posted by SkipZag View Post
          Well ZD as mad as I am at CLF right now, I probably shouldn’t comment. (Article in the SR)

For the games, maybe. For the end of the games, no.

We discussed the Montana game… for Stanford, I understand why she was switching her best defensive player with her best offensive player. But to do that she used up a time out she may have needed… Stanford was the better team and to stay with them… well lets give them some credit.

I figure as a STH for 15 years, I have watched over 500 games. That said, I haven’t the insight that CLF has on her players or the help she gets from her staff.

Go Zags!!
          Fair Enough.

ZagDad

Comment

ZAGDAD you are absolutely right. CLF is changing, but apparently slowly. I see quite a few of WCC coaches who seem to get side tracked when it comes to who's on the floor........ CLOSERS are always the highest pct. FT shooters... unless 'height' matters! The hardest part of being a fan, is you do not get to see video of the practices! Time should tell a Coach whom she can trust, and what's left in the tank, THAT PARTICULAR Day. Your team is improving and looking like it could make a run to the finals of the tourney and maybe a win or two in the NCAA's! Keep the faith.

Comment

Welcome back to the Wbb board Kemo!

ZagDad

Comment

Abby came out of her funk today against Utah in Hawaii and in style scored 21 points 9-11 FG and 3-3 on 3 pointers. Radio broadcaster had said Abby must like Hawaii because she was lightening it up from 3 point range in practice also.

Kayleigh had a nice game also scoring 18 points 2-4 on 3 pointers.

Cierra scored 13 points and 3-5 3 pointers. Cierra drove one today and had a nice mid range jumper, way to go Cierra.

Melody usual steady self 12 points today.

Anamarie still struggling fouled out of game in 13 minutes had 1 rebound and scored 2 points.

Mckayla had 5 fouls in five minutes, including a technical foul.

Eliza looked good again in her minutes today.

Final score 89-71 Zags.

Besides the two mentioned above Zags who fouled out today, Yvonne and Melody also had four fouls today.

Notes broadcaster said their was hardly anybody in the stands today, and that it was so quite sometimes. Heard the weather their is in the 80's in Hawaii nice enjoy Lady Zags.

Utah Freshman Jenna Johnson was 3-6 FG and scored 7 points, with 4 rebounds in 22 minutes played against the Zags today.

We gave Utah 42 Free Throws today, no thats not a type O.
                Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 11-26-2021, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Kayleigh injured knee, radio broadcaster said she was a on a stretcher at the end of the game with ice on her knee. Keep her in your prayers and hope it nothing serious.

Kayleigh and Kaylynne were on fire for the Zags today which the Zags won 74-53 over Eastern Illinois.

Kayleigh scored 11 points, 3-4 on 3 pointers. Kaylynne scored 17 points, 5-6 on 3 pointers.

Craig Fortier in interview after the game said they were getting Kayleigh on crutches as a precaution. He said everything was structurally sound, he thought she might have hyperextended her knee. Criag did say of course he's not a doctor but he thought she would be ok.

Note saw a video from Hawaii no fans in the stands. Radio Broadcaster said maybe a 100 fans today think he was being generous. He also said was hoping for some more fans when we play the local team Hawaii tomorrow.
                  Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 11-27-2021, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Zags up over Hawaii 37-24 at halftime.

Zags played very sloppy ball first half 9 turnovers. Wakeup call for Bree, keep your head in the game you were 88-90% free throw shooter in High School and you missed 2 free throws at the same time. Slow down at the free throw line Bree and make them count. You need to capitalize on your minutes. You should be someone that CLF that should be able to turn to to make your free throws, and for the bonus. But your never going to earn CLF trust if you can't even make your free throws. Earn CLF trust while on the court Bree, its is simple as that.

Comment

Zags win 68-49 over Hawaii and win the tournament.

Kaylynne 14 points 5-5 free throws, Abby 14 points 3-4 on 3 pointers, Melody 13 points 6-8 FG.

Great job Lisa Fortier mixing in your all subs throughout the game today to get them better experience.

Kaylynne most valuable player Tournament. Melody also named all tournament team.

Abby great job in tournament, bring that Hawaii great playing back to Spokane with you. Kayleigh take care of that knee, keep elevated etc.

Note Hawaii Freshman Orji great job getting to the hoop 10 points, 4-4 FG, but was terrible from free throw line 2-8 free throws, and she made the 2nd one after a Zag lane violation or else it would have been 1-8.

After game broadcaster said Kayleigh was not using crutches, but was walking around trying not to put to much weight on it. Repeated that the Zags are hopeful just hyperextended knee, further evaluation when she gets back to Spokane.

Zags had 17 turnovers, which they have had problems with so far, definitely a area in need of improvement. Congrats Lady Zags on the 3 wins, hope you enjoyed paradise in Hawaii Lady Zags awesome experience.

Comment

I am just going to comment on one player who has disappointed me today especially. In critical minutes in 4th quarter, she moved lethargically did not move towards passes to her allowing them to be stolen, made a pass inside directly to opposing player without really clearly looking who she was passing to. She was careless handling the ball, made no moves to cut inside or to get open for a shot. Quite frankly she was moving like a turtle, looking like she was not ready to play basketball. She has looked like this in the past few games, but today was the worst. To me she was the turning point in the 4th quarter due to lack of aggressiveness, she looked like she did not belong on the court, or she was just a observer like a fan in the stands.

I had ranted earlier about CLF giving her playing time with the starters not just mop up time. CLF has done that, particularly today in crunch time. Do you know what player I'm talking about yet.
                        Ok I love all these young women Zags, but am not afraid to come down hard when needed to jolt them to start putting out 100% on the floor.

Yes Bree I am talking about you some fans like myself have pleaded for CLF to give you playing time. Well CLF is giving you some prime time when it counts and you look like your giving a 50% effort.

Bree I seen the potential in you, but you must play like Jill Townsend when you come in play with your hair on fire, and make your minutes count. Only pass to open players, dribble the ball quickly, cut to the basket, if the play not their pass to a open Zag, be agreessive in getting open for 3 point shots don't just sit in the corner like a lump of coal. Bree your moving like your in slow motion on the court, speed things up. In the past several games I saw one good pass underneath when you attacked the rim. Bree where is that deadly 3 point shooter, do you have a mid range jumper you should use it. Bree your behind the curve other Freshman are excelling and you look like your dragging logs through a field. Take a good look in the mirror and find some motivation and fire, Bree.

I was hard on Jill also but one thing she never lacked was fire or giving her all. Bree I'm begging you, get yourself together give us your 100%, your high school years are behind you, so now you have to earn it for the Zags, show us you actually have some GRIT.

You might want to show up early for shooting around like Cierra Walker. Quite frankly Bree right now your playing like a player who thinks they are entitled. If you don't get you act together your going to become another Louise Forsyth a highly rated player from Canada, who never panned out. Will we be watching closely Bree with no more critcism of you for the next 3 games.

I used to come to all the Zags WBB basketball games as soon gates opened, and guess who always was shooting all by herself before anyone else was on the court and a few fans in the seats, thats right Jill Townsend. Bree the road is full of players who had potential but at this level everyone does. The difference maker if you want to realize your potential you must out work everybody else. You need to put in that extra time on the court etc., you have to be hungry. If being a good high school player was all you wanted then fine hit the snooze button, and carry on.
                        Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 12-09-2021, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
                          Yes Bree I am talking about you some fans like myself have pleaded for CLF to give you playing time. Well CLF is giving you some prime time when it counts and you look like your giving a 50% effort.
                          Bree may not be quite ready for Prime time, but she will certainly find her way. There is a lot to take in and adjust to for a freshman at the D1 level. The expectations placed on her being the highest GU recruit ever may take some time for her grapple with. At the end of the day, she will be fine, patience my friend.

Comment

Insertion

Originally posted by Zagcity View Post
                            Bree may not be quite ready for Prime time, but she will certainly find her way. There is a lot to take in and adjust to for a freshman at the D1 level. The expectations placed on her being the highest GU recruit ever may take some time for her grapple with. At the end of the day, she will be fine, patience my friend.
                            True. I was baffled as to inserting her initially in the game cold in a tight, rivalry game. It just didn’t seem fair to the player or the team…

Comment

Ok some thoughts on a few Lady Zag players from last nights game etc.;

First of all a round of applause to the only Lady Zag player we know about right now putting in the extra work to get better. Two hours prior to the game who's out shooting hoops by herself in the Kennel that would be Cierra Walker, she has taken up where Jill Townsend left off.

Yvonne watching you this year seen you added a nice midrange jumper to your game. To often you force the ball to the basket resulting in offensive fouls, traveling calls, or someone blocking your shot. As a result your missing a ton of layups or forced shots. My advice you get the ball near the foul line, if the shot is open take it, you have been proficient in those few mid range jumpers you take. Don't make yourself one dimensional only going for layups. Increase your midrange jumpers just like the Wirth twins, make as many mid range jumpers as you do layups. Don't limit your game.

McKayla I liked two things from you in last night's game. One when you got the ball underneath you did not panic when your shot was not open, you found Yvonne underneath for a wide open layup. Second this is twice I saw this now this season, you got passed the ball at the 3 point line, you wisely dribbled up and hit a nice mid range jumper. Thats call creating your own open shot, would like to see that more often, its shots like these that bring me big smiles. Earlier games I saw a tendency when you received the ball and were covered on the offensive end, and immediately could not find someone to pass to, you panicked, and threw the ball to a opposing player. So advice be patient, look around, or let another Zag move around or come to you, remember your other Zags are not just standing still they are moving around.

Comment

ZAB: OK, a thought: You might consider letting some time pass between making your notes during the games and then cranking out these Dear Abby responses even before the final horn sounds. Sometimes, when "your hair's on fire", it's doesn't hurt to grab a bucket, douse the flames, try combing what's left, and calm yourself before carrying on. Not that you asked. But, then, neither have any of these young women you've begun singling out for harsh criticism.

Comment

Working...
                                X