Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GU WBB vs UP WBB

It was good to be back in the Kennel...

The night started out with the sound system not working properly... wondered if that was an omen

As it was... the GU Band started singing the National Anthem joined by those in attendance. WAS GREAT!!

For a 4:00 start I was pleased by the crowd including a good turnout by the students. They put it at 5100... but that had to be paid attendance . There were plenty of empty seats.

The game had plenty of great plays and not so great plays but GU WBB came away with a win against one of the better teams in the conference.

Again in this game, the team was perfect in the second half from the foul line...

I didn't want to comment on any players but decided to give AV a shout out. We need more offense from her... but she worked her butt off and contributed in many ways that are needed and that some folks don't give her credit for. She put in over 20 minutes of pretty solid BB.

While, to me, this team isn't one of our best... I think they will find ways to win. And with all the crazy things that are happening, they are working through it. Congrats to them.

Stay Positive and Play Ball!!

Go Zags!!

Good Summary Skip.

What I liked:
    - Guards handled the full court pressure much better this time than they did in Portland.
    - Still too many turnovers but not very many from forcing the ball into a double covered big.
    - GU out blocked one of the best shot blockers in the nation (Cochrane) 4-1, including several on Cochrane herself.
    - When guards and wings had an open 3, they took it instead of forcing the ball inside.
    - GU guards dominated the Portland guards on defense getting 9 steals to only 5 from the Portland guards.
    - Out of sight free throw shooting, particularly in the 2nd half 16-18, 14-14 in the 2nd half.

What I Did Not Like:
    - Whoever was guarding Fowler in the 2nd and 3rd quarter lost her frequently leading to lay-ups and short jumpers (9-13 = 19 Points). Fowler has been Portland's leading scorer in both of our games so far. Come tournament time, find Fowler and keep her in your back pocket.
    - Wings and bigs (particularly AV, AO and EH), need to take the wide open 5-7 foot jumper without hesitation. Quit throwing the ball back out to the 3 point line.
    - Need to get BS more playing time. Quit playing her at the #1 or #2 and put her at the #3 so she does not have to dribble as much and let her shoot and rebound. It will pay dividends.

Zags now one of the "Last Four In" in this week's bracketology. No room for a loss, but at least we are on the board and looking to move up.

Next up, St. Mary's in Moraga on Saturday.

ZagDad

Comment

Zags

Originally posted by ZagDad84 View Post
      Good Summary Skip.

What I liked:
      - Guards handled the full court pressure much better this time than they did in Portland.
      - Still too many turnovers but not very many from forcing the ball into a double covered big.
      - GU out blocked one of the best shot blockers in the nation (Cochrane) 4-1, including several on Cochrane herself.
      - When guards and wings had an open 3, they took it instead of forcing the ball inside.
      - GU guards dominated the Portland guards on defense getting 9 steals to only 5 from the Portland guards.
      - Out of sight free throw shooting, particularly in the 2nd half 16-18, 14-14 in the 2nd half.

What I Did Not Like:
      - Whoever was guarding Fowler in the 2nd and 3rd quarter lost her frequently leading to lay-ups and short jumpers (9-13 = 19 Points). Fowler has been Portland's leading scorer in both of our games so far. Come tournament time, find Fowler and keep her in your back pocket.
      - Wings and bigs (particularly AV, AO and EH), need to take the wide open 5-7 foot jumper without hesitation. Quit throwing the ball back out to the 3 point line.
      - Need to get BS more playing time. Quit playing her at the #1 or #2 and put her at the #3 so she does not have to dribble as much and let her shoot and rebound. It will pay dividends.

Zags now one of the "Last Four In" in this week's bracketology. No room for a loss, but at least we are on the board and looking to move up.

Next up, St. Mary's in Moraga on Saturday.

ZagDad
      I love this summary. Quick question though with BS. You mention she should get more playing time. I 💯 agree. At whose expense though?

Comment

Good question Kyle...

I have asked myself that question too... (and I'm at the age of answering it with another question)

BS was said to be able to play a number of positions... yet I haven't seen her at the 4. Remember the Wirths were skilled in dribbling and passing.... you see that out of the forwards on the men's team.
        A good high post that can step back for a three or slide out to the corner or dribble in can be a challenge for the other team. A year in the weight room and with a bench full of wings, maybe time for her to be part of the team at the 3/4 position.

They said a great coach will design a game around his/her players... I see a 5, a pair of 3/4s and a pair of 1/2s in the future.

Go Zags!!

Comment

Originally posted by kyle dixon View Post
          I love this summary. Quick question though with BS. You mention she should get more playing time. I �� agree. At whose expense though?
          A question without a definitive answer.

I disagree with Coach Fortier's opinion that BS can play any of the 5 positions on the court.

- With BS's slight frame, she will have a hard time establishing position on the inside. Her height will also be little benefit as most of the inside opposition is similar in height or taller.
          - While BS's dribbling skills may have been good in H.S., she dribbles too high and too far away from her body leaving the ball in a position it is easily stolen.
          - BS has had numerous (meaning a lot) ball handling turnovers. Hard to run the offense, when you keep getting the ball stolen when in your position.
          - BS's height kept her in the game inside in H.S. but she is a little slow with her feet, meaning if she plays nose to nose, she frequently gets beat off the dribble by opposing guards and wings.

To develop a player and to see their potential, they need more time in an actual game. More experience and more time in the weight room will likely greatly reduce BS's current limitations and she could be the next Jill Barta, but how do we get her the experience without hurting the Lady Zags chances at victory in the meantime? You find a position where her dribbling (particularly in traffic) is minimized, her height and long arms are a significant benefit and where her slight frame is not a huge detriment.

I think the wing (or #3 spot) is the perfect position for Bree (BS). Right now, the #3 is usually played by Abby with McKayla and Cierra (when both Truongs are in) also taking turns at the wing. While Bree's overall shooting percentage is much lower than Abby's (AO) and slightly lower than MW's (0.466 vs 0.333 vs 0.308), Bree shoots the 3 better than AO (0.364 vs 0.325) and much better MW (0.364 vs 0.235). Her height and long arms would allow her to play a step off the opposition and still provide good defense.

I don't think replacing Abby with Bree is an "upgrade" over Abby, but much like replacing Abby with McKayla, it provides a different look with some added height. AO is playing just over 26 Mpg, MW is averaging just over 13 Mpg and BS is getting just over 9 mpg with most of those minutes at the #2 spot. I think you can give Cierra's minutes at the #3 to BS and maybe steal a couple of minutes from AO to get Bree into the 12 mpg range. Then rotate BS, AO and MW in as whomever is having the best game.

ZagDad

Comment

Working...
          X