No announcement yet.

Canada Senior Men in Athens August 17-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairly even playing time across the board and no Andy Rautins. We'd still lose, but it'd be a fair amount closer if the first sentence hadn't been the case today.

Comment

Headlines for the game on the interrnets include words like "hammered," "crushed," and "trounced," so I'll spare you the links. However, I liked this pic of Kelly, with the caption "Giorgos Printezis of Greece, foreground, holds the ball as Kelly Olynyk of Canada tries to stop him during the Acropolis basketball tournament at the indoor Olympic stadium of Athens, Tuesday, Aug. 17, 2010."

Comment

looks like they don't get any fans out for their national team either

Comment

Originally posted by nonzagzag View Post
          looks like they don't get any fans out for their national team either
          Having searched unsuccessfully and intensively for previews of this tournament for several days before the event, my impression was that these teams were not courting fans but wanted to sneak in and out of town while no one was looking, looking to the game as essentially private team warm-ups for Turkey.

Comment

At the Half, Canada leads Serbia 34-27. Denham Brown on fire. Live Stats here.

Comment

Wow. Serbia has no answer to Denham Brown, Canada leads 52-29, Brown with 22 points. Live Stats

Comment

A quick note to add that FIBA has Greece and Serbia ranked 4 and 5 respectivley. Canada is ranked 19.

The rankings were made after the 2009 Eurobasket.

1. Argentina ARG 865.0 0.0
                2. USA USA 861.0 0.0
                3. Spain ESP 759.0 20.0
                4. Greece GRE 529.0 20.0
                5. Serbia SRB 459.0 -10.0
                6. Lithuania LTU 382.0 1.0
                7. Germany GER 322.0 -7.0
                8. Italy ITA 300.0 -8.0
                9. China CHN 254.7 0.0
                10. Puerto Rico PUR 252.6 0.0
                11. Australia AUS 234.0 0.0
                12. Angola ANG 205.0 0.0
                13. New Zealand NZL 193.0 0.0
                14. Brazil BRA 181.6 0.0
                15. France FRA 181.0 1.0
                15. Croatia CRO 181.0 1.0
                17. Russia RUS 179.0 -2.0
                18. Turkey TUR 163.0 -29.0
                19. Canada CAN 124.2 0.0
                20. Slovenia SLO 123.0 11.0

Comment

Canada hung on for a 62-58 win.

Olynyk and Sacre each played 12 minutes.

Rautins again didn't dress.

Comment

Canada wins! 62-58, after leading by double digits most of the game. Bit of a scare there at the end.

Comment

Game against Slovenia tomorrow at 19:00 hrs, 9:00 AM PST

Early pic of Kelly with Rob in the background from today's game:

"Kelly Olynyk of Canada, right, and Miroslav Raduljica of Serbia fight for the
                      ball during the Acropolis basketball tournament"

Come on, Canada! Make it two out of three!

Comment

Nice to see Kelly and Rob playing about 30% of the game each, solid minutes playing against grown men should help them be ready to rumble early in the year.

Congrats to Canada on not rolling over and playing dead after a bad loss yesterday. Nice to see Jermaine Anderson logging big minutes as well, lets hope he responds well and is ready for his next game.

Comment

Great to get another win, and just shows how strong the Greek team is right now. I think I am right in saying that none of the players are playing NBA, so they might have a fair amount of familiarity with each other.

The team not having either Rautins or Famutimi playing seem a bit out of sorts. Jermaine playing helps, but the lack of assists is a bit of concern, neither Kepkay or Bell seem to have made the jump required. I can't help but think with Jermaine playing that Kelly will make the team as neither Doornkamp or Bucknor are more than 6'7" and having another big on the bench to back up Kendall is really needed. My guess is that Kepkay will be dropped, but we will see how Bell handles Dragic in the Slovenian game.

IMO the more minutes both Kelly and Rob get, the more they will feel comfortable in the system and grow in confidence.

Great learning experience for both players.

Go Canada, Go Zag Canadians!

Comment

Originally posted by OZZY View Post
                            Great to get another win, and just shows how strong the Greek team is right now. I think I am right in saying that none of the players are playing NBA, so they might have a fair amount of familiarity with each other.
                            Greece beat Slovenia this morning 96-72. (Live Stats Link). Pretty healthy margin of victory, though not quite the drubbing the Canadians took. Then again, the Slovenians probably didn't have to deal with jet lag. (That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.)

Looking at the linked Slovena FIBA preview video above, I wondered if anyone else was as stricken as I was by the resemblance of the Slovenian coach to a certain US Politician ...

Comment

Serbia beat Slovenia by 1 or 2 pts. So Canada should be in the game tomorrow. Should be a game somewhat like todays game against Serbia. Canada with 2 wins is good. Go Canada.
                              Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

Serbia rested Nednad Krstic today against Canada. Serbia obviously thought they would win without him.

Comment

Working...
                                X