No announcement yet.

Canada Senior Men in Athens August 17-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Though I do search before I post, I have a tendancy to post repeats so please forgive me in advance.

Interveiw with Kelly after the China game. Segment starts with about 12:30 to go in podcast titled "Smacktalk Sports Episode 16"

http://www.cknw.com/Episodes.aspx?PID=1627

Comment

Not great numbers from our guys. Rob and his fouls, Kelly and his low numbers. I personally was hoping for these two to show their development this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
        Game against Slovenia tomorrow at 19:00 hrs, 9:00 AM PST

Early pic of Kelly with Rob in the background from today's game:

"Kelly Olynyk of Canada, right, and Miroslav Raduljica of Serbia fight for the
        ball during the Acropolis basketball tournament"

Come on, Canada! Make it two out of three!
        Why does Kelly's jersey say "Canada" above his #, yet Rob and Tylers says it below their #'s? They're wearing two different uniforms; that is really odd.

Comment

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
          Why does Kelly's jersey say "Canada" above his #, yet Rob and Tylers says it below their #'s? They're wearing two different uniforms; that is really odd.
          Wow..good catch.

Kelly wore #6 against China and then 22 from then on as Bell dressed.

Comment

Originally posted by OZZY View Post
            Great to get another win, and just shows how strong the Greek team is right now. I think I am right in saying that none of the players are playing NBA, so they might have a fair amount of familiarity with each other.

The team not having either Rautins or Famutimi playing seem a bit out of sorts. Jermaine playing helps, but the lack of assists is a bit of concern, neither Kepkay or Bell seem to have made the jump required. I can't help but think with Jermaine playing that Kelly will make the team as neither Doornkamp or Bucknor are more than 6'7" and having another big on the bench to back up Kendall is really needed. My guess is that Kepkay will be dropped, but we will see how Bell handles Dragic in the Slovenian game.

IMO the more minutes both Kelly and Rob get, the more they will feel comfortable in the system and grow in confidence.

Great learning experience for both players.

Go Canada, Go Zag Canadians!
            yeah, Ozzy, I was just gonna comment about the pg situation, or lack thereof. 5 assists against Greece, and only 3 against Serbia is a real cause for concern. Ryan Bell has no business being on this team whatsoever, Kepkay is a 5'9 sg that can't shoot and even the starter Rock Anderson is a converted sg who really has no court vision. I wish Leo would bite the bullet and name Andy the pg and Denham the sg and have Jermaine back up AR and Tyler back up Denham. As bad as the point is now, it will be the position with the most depth in the future; Cojo, Kabongo and Pangos; ow that's some talent.

Comment

Originally posted by ronh_pm View Post
              Wow..good catch.

Kelly wore #6 against China and then 22 from then on as Bell dressed.

Perhaps that is his uniform from the development team?
              They don't call me "Spy" for nothin'.

I was thinking it might be the junior uni, but Kelly's been with the seniors for over a month now.

Comment

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
                yeah, Ozzy, I was just gonna comment about the pg situation, or lack thereof. 5 assists against Greece, and only 3 against Serbia is a real cause for concern. Ryan Bell has no business being on this team whatsoever, Kepkay is a 5'9 sg that can't shoot and even the starter Rock Anderson is a converted sg who really has no court vision. I wish Leo would bite the bullet and name Andy the pg and Denham the sg and have Jermaine back up AR and Tyler back up Denham. As bad as the point is now, it will be the position with the most depth in the future; Cojo, Kabongo and Pangos; ow that's some talent.
                I agree that the PG situation is not ideal, but there don't seem to be any viable alternatives.

Canada has been weak at point and relatively strong at wing since 03. During that time there has always been talk (and hope?) that one of the shooting guards would be converted to point. First English, and lately Rautins. But it has never happened for any significant period of time, and during the brief stints when they have tried it (with English), it wasn't particularly successful.

So, I think for the Worlds (and perhaps for at least a couple more summers), it will be Anderson at point.

The question is whether the staff feels comfortable enough with Rautins being an emergency pg that they can cut one of Bell and Kepkay and keep Olynyk.

Another interesting question is whether the staff sees Doornekamp and Bucknor as PFs or SFs. The last couple games they have seen significant time at the 3. Not sure if that is because Canada was thin at the wing with Rautins not dressed, and Famutimi barely playing, or if this is the plan for the Worlds.

This obviously affects Olynyk's chances of making the team, as he is the only remaining candidate to back up Kendall at 4 if Bucknor and Doornekamp are seen primarily as 3s.

Re the future PG situation, I think CJ is more of a 2 and I am not sold on MK's ability to distribute or lead a half court offense. That leaves Pangos (and maybe Junior Cadougan as a dark horse. I realize his stock has fallen sharply the last few years, but he seems to me to be more of a pure PG than CJ, and if he develops at Marquette he could be back in the picture).

Comment

The thing with the point guards is this: Bell brings size and defence , Kepkay brings speed and some scoring, neither have enough of a complete game to help this squad. Jermaine Anderson is a converted 2 guard, but he plays the point full time now and does a solid job, he does not force the issue, nakes safe passes, and knocks down open shots. He is not going to break his man down or make many highlight passes, but he will get the team into sets. The player with the best vision on the team is Andy Rautins, he can fill in at PG for small stretches, but he is a little turnover prone trying to make the tough cross-court pass to often.

Bucknor plays a combo forward roll, more 3 than 4, but is stong and guards bigs when he has to, Doornekamp is a 3, but is a tough player and will do the dirty work. With only Joel, Rob, and Levon as bigs, I don't see how we don't keep Kelly on this roster.

I am looking forward to seeing Kelly and Rob line up this year at Gonzaga, Kelly's development may just push Harris to the 3 spot as the starter....or not.

Comment

Originally posted by hooter73 View Post
                    Not great numbers from our guys. Rob and his fouls, Kelly and his low numbers. I personally was hoping for these two to show their development this summer.
                    Making the senior team and playing the worlds is showing development. Like Harris last year in the European Championship, the fact they they are getting serious minutes means they are developing. Remember they are playing against professional men who know how to play both offense and defense. The quality of players they will be facing are better than most if not all of the competition in NCAAs. They are the only College kids on the Canadian team and some of the few NCAAers playing in Turkey.
                    Duke players making the Team USA practice squad was treated as a big deal. And it is. The fact the GU has three players playing in real games at the Worlds is even better.

The RS and KO are facing players that make good money playing the game. The confidence that they can play at this level will only be good when play next season.

Gonzaga having 3 current players making and playing in Turkey is big.
                    ----
                    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

Game on, live stats here. Slovenia off to a fast start.

Comment

At the half, Slovenia leads 43-32. I thought Kelly and Rob made a difference with their limited minutes, though Kelly picked up two fouls. Denham Brown needs some of those shots to start falling.

Comment

Slovenia wins, 86-71. Nice contribution from Kelly in limited minutes.

Comment

Canada loses by 15. Too bad. Robert played 17 + minutes which was great. It's good to see him getting lots of playing time at this level. His rebounding continues to be good but I think his offense has not been. He shot 1-4 today. But I'm sure he's learning a lot.

Kelly shot really well today and I hope it helps him make the final cut. He was 2-2 from beyond the 3 pt line. I keep saying he can shoot the 3. He scored 8 pts in just 6 minutes. I think that was outstanding. Good for him to come out and play a very good game when he needs one. I wish him the best at making the final team. I am sure the experience is helping both he and Rob. It's showing they can play with guys who play at a highter level.
                            Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

While in the 6 games for Canada Rob's FG % was low 8/21 38% I think that his 17/20 FTs 85% is great and a more important number.

Comment

Slovenia - 86 Canada - 71

http://www.galanissportsdata.com/bas...cro.asp?game=5

In 6 minutes, Kelly Olynck scored 8 points on 2 three-pointers and 2 free throws...

In 17 minutes, Robert Sacre scored 6 points on 4 free throws and a 2 point bucket...

Comment

Working...
                                X