Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Original Miller out, Tommy ... Arizona thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Part of Arizona’s strategy is to stave off as much NCAA punishment as possible so they are sacrificing Miller as part of that, not that he doesn’t deserve it. It’s all part of the administration’s kabuki dance with the media, alumni and most importantly the NCAA.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by HenneZag View Post
      Another thing to look at is Tommy's son plays for Grand Canyon in AZ. Would be nice to have that proximity for family reasons.
      If Lloyd was a normal working schlub doing a 9-5 sure, but I can't imagine being a head coach at a new school leaves much time for traveling to visit family.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by HenneZag View Post
        Another thing to look at is Tommy's son plays for Grand Canyon in AZ. Would be nice to have that proximity for family reasons.
        Irrelevant.

        Comment


        • #19
          Not sure Tommy would want AZ with an ax hanging over their neck. But if I was a administrator, and knowing AZ has done so little since Lute passed, I’d pick new blood who’s been an engineer of a highly successful program.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
            Not sure Tommy would want AZ with an ax hanging over their neck. But if I was a administrator, and knowing AZ has done so little since Lute passed, I’d pick new blood who’s been an engineer of a highly successful program.
            There will be other openings, maybe not this year, at premier programs not having the NCAA Sword of Damocles hanging over their heads.

            If Tommy does go to AZ, his kids will be seeing far less of him than they do now.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
              Part of Arizona’s strategy is to stave off as much NCAA punishment as possible so they are sacrificing Miller as part of that, not that he doesn’t deserve it. It’s all part of the administration’s kabuki dance with the media, alumni and most importantly the NCAA.
              Tommy signs for 5 years leaves after 4 to replace Fewie?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Zagceo View Post
                Tommy signs for 5 years leaves after 4 to replace Fewie?
                Double edged sword: what happens if sanctions against AZ don't allow him from turning the program around, would Tommy be damaged goods? Just compare his situation to Billy Grier, who struggled mightily as a head coach. He's now an assistant coach at Colorado, good program.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by bballbeachbum View Post
                  humiliating finality to all of this Miller BS at Arizona, after 4 years.......

                  looking forward to the AZ and Miller defenders' spin on this. Miller is somehow the victim, right, and AZ too?
                  Personally I wish they would have kept Miller. I feel that they were made for each other.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I hope it works for Tommy if he gets it, but there is basically no good that can come from taking over a dumpster fire of an Arizona program right now. You will be down scholarships, down post season opportunities, and instantly have a fan base and boosters that expect a return to the Lute era. Getting a program to consistent final 4 contention is hard, let alone with all the headwind. You really only get once chance at being a top major basketball coach.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Muss has to be their first choice, even with his nomadic ways. Luke Walton and Miles Simon from the pros. Pastner, Damon in a third group. Tommy if they really want a tabula rasa.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by zagfan1 View Post
                        My take is that Damon Stoudamire will likely get it. He has done a good job at Pacific and is an Arizona alum. Maybe Lloyd gets an interview.
                        I hope you are right.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
                          I hope it works for Tommy if he gets it, but there is basically no good that can come from taking over a dumpster fire of an Arizona program right now. You will be down scholarships, down post season opportunities, and instantly have a fan base and boosters that expect a return to the Lute era. Getting a program to consistent final 4 contention is hard, let alone with all the headwind. You really only get once chance at being a top major basketball coach.
                          Right, it’s not like the Chipmunk had retired or gone to the NBA. Other than 1,000 pounds of snack wrappers and empty pop bottles, he’s left a program that’s about to be cratered. New coach will be unbelievably constrained, making winning even harder. Unblemished, it’s a top 10, maybe top 5 job. Now it’s a possible professional suicide mission.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                            I agree, I thought it would be Damon all along. He's done a good job at Pacific, considering what he inherited, and how hard it must be to recruit to Stockton and against Gonzaga. He's also been through the NCAA wringer when it comes to compliance. All in all, a better choice for Arizona, no disrespect to Tommy.
                            I hope you are right Tex. I want Tommy right where he is at. He was vital in the building of this program, and hope he wants to see it all the way through.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
                              I hope it works for Tommy if he gets it, but there is basically no good that can come from taking over a dumpster fire of an Arizona program right now. You will be down scholarships, down post season opportunities, and instantly have a fan base and boosters that expect a return to the Lute era. Getting a program to consistent final 4 contention is hard, let alone with all the headwind. You really only get once chance at being a top major basketball coach.
                              I hear ya.....BUT UA's not Baylor...remember that dumpster fire when Scot Drew signed on?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Zagceo View Post
                                I hear ya.....BUT UA's not Baylor...remember that dumpster fire when Scot Drew signed on?
                                17 years ago
                                Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

                                Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X