Players' Salaries in the NBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Players' Salaries in the NBA

I found this listing of players' salaries in the NBA from Hoops Hype very interesting. https://hoopshype.com/salaries/players/

I picked out some Zag players salaries:

For comparison purposes, here are the top 11 players listed:

Klay Thompson has been out since 2019 with a torn Achilles. I wondered what would happen to his compensation under his contract while he is out. Found this on the internet:

Basketball contracts are usually fully guaranteed against injury (as long as said injury was sports-related and not sustained during activities specifically barred in the contract terms), so if they get hurt and they're still under contract at the time, then they'll still be paid.
    Blows my mind he could receive full compensation while he's out so long ...

Comment

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
      Klay Thompson has been out since 2019 with a torn Achilles. I wondered what would happen to his compensation under his contract while he is out. Found this on the internet:

I’m sure that the players’ association made that injury clause a point of emphasis for their collective bargaining agreement.
      “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

A lot of loot for getting a ball in the hoop, etc

Comment

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post

Are there some further complications with his injury? In the WNBA, Breanna Stewart and Kelsey Plum both missed one season after tearing their Achilles, then came back better than before. How has he been out for 2 full years?

Comment

Kay has sustained two separate major injuries. The first was a torn ACL suffered in the 2019 Finals. That caused him to miss the entirety of the following year. During an off-season workout prior to last season he suffered an Achilles rupture.

He deserves every penny he has been paid, just as any athlete should when they are under contract. It's a risk every time they practice or play a game and the club owners absolutely need to keep the checks coming to their employees that take that risk to make money for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
              Kay has sustained two separate major injuries. The first was a torn ACL suffered in the 2019 Finals. That caused him to miss the entirety of the following year. During an off-season workout prior to last season he suffered an Achilles rupture.

He deserves every penny he has been paid, just as any athlete should when they are under contract. It's a risk every time they practice or play a game and the club owners absolutely need to keep the checks coming to their employees that take that risk to make money for them.
              No doubt. What happened in the NFL this offseason was unfortunate. Different deal there, though. NBA players have it pretty good—typically well deserved. For the vast majority of guys, just make it to the second contract and team success is a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
                I’m sure that the players’ association made that injury clause a point of emphasis for their collective bargaining agreement.
                Didn't Bill Walton sustain a foot injury while with Portland, and was paid his contract until it expired...THEN he signed with Boston.
                Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                  Didn't Bill Walton sustain a foot injury while with Portland, and was paid his contract until it expired...THEN he signed with Boston.
                  Clippers then Boston.

Comment

Originally posted by ZagNation View Post
                    Clippers then Boston.
                    Portland then Clippers then Boston.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_W...sional_career_
                    Last edited by willandi; 08-23-2021, 08:14 AM.
                    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

anyone happen to remember the publicly announced salaries of
                      Ammo
                      Ronny
                      Austin D
                      Dan D
                      I realize inflation has severely altered the ability to compare salaries over a decade ago

Comment

Baseball and basketball both have guaranteed salaries, football does not.
                        I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
                          anyone happen to remember the publicly announced salaries of
                          Ammo
                          Ronny
                          Austin D
                          Dan D
                          I realize inflation has severely altered the ability to compare salaries over a decade ago
                          This site has year by year salaries at the bottom of each player’s page (scroll way down):

http://https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/morriad01.html

Morrison made $16.9 million in his career.
                          Ronny $22.6 million
                          Austin $10.5 million
                          Dickau $11.4

Comment

Working...
                          X