No announcement yet.

Zags in Summer League 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do they sign so many players, if they are never going to see the floor?

I understand wanting to see your top five, top ten...but the ones like Norvelle that never sniff the floor seems like a waste and almost an insult.
    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

Originally posted by zag944 View Post
      Unfortunately for Joel and quite a few of our better backcourt players over the years, I don't think any of the NBA auditioning stuff for 2nd round/undrafted level players does them any favors. Kind of crazy that as steady as our guard play has been the last decade we've only had all those guys combined play in about 20 regular season games (I know Pargo snuck back in a few times too but he's a 2009 grad).

Hopefully Jalen and Corey can turn this around and show the league the value of a zag in the backcourt. I don't think we've had a first round guard since Dickau so this is a good opportunity to show potential recruits what type of guards we can produce!
      I would imagine that the Lakers are oretty sure that they know what Joel is capable of bringing. They probably have a little more leeway with him than with many of the others.

He may end up in the G league for most of the season, but they will work with him there too, maybe more than they would with the big team.
      Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

Cory Kispert's Wizards vs. the Kings now under way on NBA TV. Box Score

Comment

Well, that wasn't very impressive ...

Comment

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
            Jitters of a Frosh. He’ll get better....

Comment

https://twitter.com/jhertz22/status/...825676289?s=21
              sigpic
              “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
              ——-
              List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
              Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

rough outing but at least they are running plays for him, nice to see. Defense will be a real test forever

Comment

watching these games, wow, it's just not good basketball even though the players are incredibly skilled, but the basketball? it's literally terrible. I'll watch Jalen again today at 3pm because it's Jalen, but following the NBA...no way. Watched Pistons Rockets last night, Green already getting the Trae whistles when someone breathes on him. If everyone got those calls, fine, but only some get them. The NBA

Comment

Hard for him to get any traction when his entire team decided to play hero ball instead of running anything that remotely resembled a play.
                    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

Originally posted by bballbeachbum View Post
                      watching these games, wow, it's just not good basketball even though the players are incredibly skilled, but the basketball? it's literally terrible. I'll watch Jalen again today at 3pm because it's Jalen, but following the NBA...no way. Watched Pistons Rockets last night, Green already getting the Trae whistles when someone breathes on him. If everyone got those calls, fine, but only some get them. The NBA
                      This is summer league. It's completely different than regular season NBA games.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
                        This is summer league. It's completely different than regular season NBA games.
                        thanks. I remember watching Ammo in summer league way back when, others over the years, trying to emerge or re emerge. the same NBA summer league....

and the NBA is generally bad basketball too, sorry. Steve Kerr even says so. The skill is sick awesome, best ever from top to bottom, absolutely, but the money, the rules, the officiating, the team building...it's entertainment if you're into that kind of show with star building: screen roll screen pop screen roll iso iso iso rebound run rebound run rebound run, espn highlights , now sell some shoes, some drink, some alcohol, some car, sponsor this or that...whatever. the summer league is the market intro for these players...I get it. I'll watch Jalen, but the basketball generally is bad and the officials massage everything in both the NBA and summer league more than the NFL imo, which is hard to do. At least in the playoffs the players will risk themselves more than in the regular season, where half the teams might as well be the Washington Generals on the road. The WNBA play the game of basketball better, the NBA has incredible ridiculous talent that creates tons of cash. Good show, and every now and then some good basketball too....

Comment

Originally posted by bballbeachbum View Post
                          thanks. I remember watching Ammo in summer league way back when, others over the years, trying to emerge or re emerge. the same NBA summer league....

and the NBA is generally bad basketball too, sorry. Steve Kerr even says so. The skill is sick awesome, best ever from top to bottom, absolutely, but the money, the rules, the officiating, the team building...it's entertainment if you're into that kind of show with star building: screen roll screen pop screen roll iso iso iso rebound run rebound run rebound run, espn highlights , now sell some shoes, some drink, some alcohol, some car, sponsor this or that...whatever. the summer league is the market intro for these players...I get it. I'll watch Jalen, but the basketball generally is bad and the officials massage everything in both the NBA and summer league more than the NFL imo, which is hard to do. At least in the playoffs the players will risk themselves more than in the regular season, where half the teams might as well be the Washington Generals on the road. The WNBA play the game of basketball better, the NBA has incredible ridiculous talent that creates tons of cash. Good show, and every now and then some good basketball too....
                          I agree the officiating is uneven. And that they run a lot of iso (not as much as summer league though which it's basically just inter-team scrimmages without having practiced together). The Nuggets pass a lot. and usually have great off-ball movement. They're fun to watch.

Comment

Killian Tillie starts on the bench for the Grizzlies vs. Miami Heat now on NBA TV. Box Score

Comment

Jalen Suggs starting for Orlando vs. Evan Mobley's Cavaliers on ESPN 2 now. Box Score

Comment

Suggsy with another great game. That putback dunk is getting lots of love on social media.
                                "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Working...
                                X