Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sad start to the season

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sad start to the season

    The NBA year has been pretty bad so far regarding recent Zag arrivals to the league - not sure I have much to add other than hoping things turn around.

    Clarke @ Memphis - Despite some moderately productive bench minutes earlier in the year, and a slightly (re)improved shooting form, he hasn't been seeing any minutes in recent or close games.

    Tillie @ Memphis - Not getting any playing time

    Rui @ Washington - MIA from the team for mystery personal reasons - no sign of him at all

    Ayayi @ Washington - Barely logged a minute after being cut by LA

    Corey @ Washington - Has appeared in 6 games and scored 11 points. 20% from 3 (small sample size)

    Suggs @ Orlando - Struggling in just about every way possible except defense, but he's being asked to do a lot of a terrible team.


    -----

    The Clarke situation confuses me the most, since he is productive when he plays. Maybe he and Killian just need new teams.

  • #2
    You didn't mention Kispert or Pangos or Collins ....or Sabonis .....the NBA has freak athletes with amazing skills and size....it is a completely different world.......and you have to be in the right place at the right time.....look at what happened to Sabonis when he escaped Oklahoma City...

    Suggs will have a career...hopefully somewhere else...

    Comment


    • #3
      Kispert is making a mark for himself with limited minutes.
      'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
      - Gandalf the Grey

      ________________________________



      Foo Time

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
        You didn't mention Kispert or Pangos or Collins ....or Sabonis .....the NBA has freak athletes with amazing skills and size....it is a completely different world.......and you have to be in the right place at the right time.....look at what happened to Sabonis when he escaped Oklahoma City...

        Suggs will have a career...hopefully somewhere else...
        I mentioned Kispert - He's doing poorly and not playing much despite Washington's best 3pt shooter (Davis Bertans) out with injuries.

        My topic was recent arrivals to the NBA - hence no mention of Kelly or Domas who are established productive veterans.

        Congrats to Pangos for making a roster - he hasn't yet recorded a point over 8 minutes of game time.

        I hope for the best for all these guys, and I do think Suggs will have a solid NBA career - but the two most surprising outcomes from the whole batch are BC who is buried under a bushel by the coaches, and Rui who seemed on a solid upward trajectory.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by StatZag View Post
          I mentioned Kispert - He's doing poorly and not playing much despite Washington's best 3pt shooter (Davis Bertans) out with injuries.

          My topic was recent arrivals to the NBA - hence no mention of Kelly or Domas who are established productive veterans.

          Congrats to Pangos for making a roster - he hasn't yet recorded a point over 8 minutes of game time.

          I hope for the best for all these guys, and I do think Suggs will have a solid NBA career - but the two most surprising outcomes from the whole batch are BC who is buried under a bushel by the coaches, and Rui who seemed on a solid upward trajectory.
          Again, I really don't see Kispert doing poorly. Granted, I have only watched 3 or 4 games, but he has done exactly what Unseld Jr has wanted him to do. Unseld is purposefully bringing new players on slowly and avoiding putting pressure on them. Considering that the Wizards are stacked at his position with Beal, Caldwell-Pope, Holliday, Kuzma, and Avdija; Unseld can afford to bring him on slowly. He is fine.
          'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
          - Gandalf the Grey

          ________________________________



          Foo Time

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
            Again, I really don't see Kispert doing poorly. Granted, I have only watched 3 or 4 games, but he has done exactly what Unseld Jr has wanted him to do. Unseld is purposefully bringing new players on slowly and avoiding putting pressure on them. Considering that the Wizards are stacked at his position with Beal, Caldwell-Pope, Holliday, Kuzma, and Avdija; Unseld can afford to bring him on slowly. He is fine.
            I’m with you Kitz, too early in the season to worry. They’re all making a heckuva lot more dough than I am.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
              Again, I really don't see Kispert doing poorly. Granted, I have only watched 3 or 4 games, but he has done exactly what Unseld Jr has wanted him to do. Unseld is purposefully bringing new players on slowly and avoiding putting pressure on them. Considering that the Wizards are stacked at his position with Beal, Caldwell-Pope, Holliday, Kuzma, and Avdija; Unseld can afford to bring him on slowly. He is fine.
              Fighting over definitions is pointless, and you're certainly welcome to conceive the word "poor" to mean anything you want, but per your usage, what would a poor start look like, if not like this?

              CK has 5 field goals and 5 personal fouls in 70 minutes and 7 games. He's shooting 41% and getting successfully targeted as a defender by opponents. Now I don't think he'll continue to shoot 25% from 3 for the season, but after 7 games that's what's he's doing.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by StatZag View Post
                Fighting over definitions is pointless, and you're certainly welcome to conceive the word "poor" to mean anything you want, but per your usage, what would a poor start look like, if not like this?

                CK has 5 field goals and 5 personal fouls in 70 minutes and 7 games. He's shooting 41% and getting successfully targeted as a defender by opponents. Now I don't think he'll continue to shoot 25% from 3 for the season, but after 7 games that's what's he's doing.
                If Corey has a rookie season like the Mavericks' top draft pick in 2020, then I'd be in total agreement with you:

                The Dallas Mavericks have waived 2020 draft pick Tyrell Terry.

                The 21-year-old point guard was the first pick of the second round (31st overall) out of Stanford.

                Terry appeared in 11 games during his 2020-21 rookie season, totaling 11 points, six rebounds, six assists and five steals in 56 minutes.
                https://www.bignewsnetwork.com/news/...056%20minutes.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I don’t find it to be a SAD start. 4 former Zags have made their NBA debuts so far this season and there is more Zags in the league than ever before. These guys are living their childhood dreams.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I was worried for a while because Pangos wasn't even on the Cavs roster for the last few games. Looks like he fathered another human

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by StatZag View Post
                      Fighting over definitions is pointless, and you're certainly welcome to conceive the word "poor" to mean anything you want, but per your usage, what would a poor start look like, if not like this?

                      CK has 5 field goals and 5 personal fouls in 70 minutes and 7 games. He's shooting 41% and getting successfully targeted as a defender by opponents. Now I don't think he'll continue to shoot 25% from 3 for the season, but after 7 games that's what's he's doing.
                      He also has the second highest +/- on the team.
                      'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                      - Gandalf the Grey

                      ________________________________



                      Foo Time

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                        If Corey has a rookie season like the Mavericks' top draft pick in 2020, then I'd be in total agreement with you:



                        https://www.bignewsnetwork.com/news/...056%20minutes.

                        That was not the Mavericks' top draft pick in 2020. That was a 2nd round pick (#31) which is why the team could waive him. He didn't have the big bucks and guarantee of a first round contract like CK got.

                        Mavs' top pick was #20 Josh Green.


                        I agree that it will be sad if Kispert has a similar to Terry.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by StatZag View Post
                          That was not the Mavericks' top draft pick in 2020. That was a 2nd round pick (#31) which is why the team could waive him. He didn't have the big bucks and guarantee of a first round contract like CK got.

                          Mavs' top pick was #20 Josh Green.


                          I agree that it will be sad if Kispert has a similar to Terry.
                          Good catch, my bad.

                          Josh’s stats aren’t much better: last year he averaged 11 MPG, 2.6 PPG, and 2 RPG. He’s playing less, and scoring less this season. I admit to befuddlement over the Mavericks picking up his 2022-2023 option. Is that what happens when you hire a shoe salesman for GM?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Pangos was never going to see much opportunity until something crumbled above him. Injury...or Rubio getting traded...Hasn't helped that the Cavs are playing surprisingly well.

                            Well - Colin Sexton just torn up his knee and is out for a couple months. Sexton is their SG - but is a combo and that still may opens some minutes for Pangos.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X