Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT - 40th Anniversary of Gonzaga University hockey championship (1st since the '30's)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - 40th Anniversary of Gonzaga University hockey championship (1st since the '30's)

Will keep here for a short while before rolling this to Schomburg Hall.

This week 40 years ago saw the GU Bulldog Hockey Team win the school's first Hockey Championship since the 1930's. The Spokesman Review called the Zag's run "amazing", as Gonzaga went from dead last in the regular season standings to SSL Champs with a miracle 6-0 record in the playoffs, culminating with Team Captain David Kusler's empty net goal to preserve victory in a wild Championship final game (where Gonzaga came back from being down 5-1). The Zags finished the '73/'74 season 21-22-1 but hoisted the Spokane Senior League Championship Trophy.

Team pic .... my Freshman year at Gonzaga. We started the season 0-8-1 and were 3-16-1 at Christmas break. We got hot and ended the '73/'74 season on a roll. Great memories with great teammates.

sigpic
    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Thanks for sharing! This I had no clue about. These articles and stories are about as cool as our Boxing National Championship! Again, Thanks for sharing!
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

We got to keep our jerseys after we won the Title. There are GU Boardmembers who periodically see me at "big" GU basketball games wearing my "good luck" jersey .... which at times may appear a bit "snug". The pic above proves what I've always said .... at one time, before washing machine "shrinkage" the jersey fit loosely over pads. That's no longer the case (and to be honest, it's probably more to do with the +40 lbs than any washing machine).
      sigpic
      ——-
      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

It's throw back Thursday - good post. I don't know a Kevin??
        “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Comment

Nice job GoZags!
          Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Comment

Originally posted by 77Zag View Post
            It's throw back Thursday - good post. I don't know a Kevin??
            This made my FB this morning, '77 as it is TBT (and the 40 year Anniversary). FWIW I think it was part of Freshman hazing that they'd never get the freshmen's names correct. Found this clip from the playoffs in the same box as the others .... at least the S. R. got it correct.

sigpic
            ——-

Comment

Congrats!
              Go Zags!!!

Comment

I was there. As I recall and my memory could be bad, we had a guy who played semi-pro before enrolling at GU. He had no front teeth but drank like a fish. And by fish I mean me.

Go Hockey.

Go Bulldogs.
                Do not go gentle into that good night,
                Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
                Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

Did I read it right?
                  It was an empty net winning shot in a 5-5 game?
                  Anyhow, congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post
                    Did I read it right?
                    It was an empty net winning shot in a 5-5 game?
                    Anyhow, congrats.
                    Zags were down 5-1. Tied it at 8 mid way through the 3rd period and took the lead 9-8 with about 2 minutes left. Those 2 minutes was a swarm around our goal and with about 30 seconds left we were able to clear the puck out of our zone (a HUGE relief to me) and it went in the empty net to clinch the final game 10-8.

Edited to add .... the short clip on the 6-5 game was in an earlier playoff game. FWIW I found the clip after the Final game and will add it here.... my memory was pretty close but I'd forgotten we were down 2 with 7 minutes left and scored 4 goals in those 7 minutes (including the empty netter).

Last edited by GoZags; 03-28-2014, 05:39 AM. Reason: Clarification of details -- Final game
                    sigpic
                    ——-

Comment

Originally posted by 75Zag View Post
                      I was there. As I recall and my memory could be bad, we had a guy who played semi-pro before enrolling at GU. He had no front teeth but drank like a fish. And by fish I mean me.

Go Hockey.

Go Bulldogs.
                      Our guys either had pretty good teeth (or pretty good fake ones). There were a handful of former NHLers in the Spokane Senior League ... a couple of those guys were a bit lacking in the "teeth" department.
                      sigpic
                      ——-

Comment

If Gonzaga decided to field a NCAA Div.I Ice Hockey Team, it would not please the Chiefs management. Western Collegiate Hockey Association would likely welcome Gonzaga. The University of Alaska Fairbanks, Alaska Anchorage, Denver University, and Colorado College are the closest present members. WCHA schools play in Arenas seating from 2500 to 5500. Spokane is a good hockey Town and with sufficient seed money and proper publicity a Gonzaga Hockey Team would shortly be self sufficient, even profitable?
                        [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
                        ― Scottie Pippen

Comment

Wow, Craig Sparrow, a blast from the past. He had great stories about riding the rails at spring break to his Canadian home. Wonder what ever became of him. Remember the surgery he had. One too many blows below the waist. (I had the same surgery years later.) And I had completely forgotten Mike Fox wore the jersey. NICE!!
                          For basketball games at the Coliseum (usually vs UW or WSU) they would lay the hardwood right on top of the ice. It was 'cool' playing baskeball on that floor, and us 'bench warmers' had a hard time getting a hot hand. And the dead spots on the floor made for some interesting dribbling.
                          Last edited by StocktonZag; 03-27-2014, 09:33 PM. Reason: Add on

Comment

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
                            Zags were down 5-1. Tied it at 8 mid way through the 3rd period and took the lead 9-8 with about 2 minutes left. Those 2 minutes was a swarm around our goal and with about 30 seconds left we were able to clear the puck out of our zone (a HUGE relief to me) and it went in the empty net to clinch the final game 10-8.
                            Thanks for the memories. I was there, but destroyed too many brain cells in the victory party on 3rd floor DeSmet. Four years at Gonzaga prepared me very well for life in Germany after graduation.

Comment

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
                              This made my FB this morning, '77 as it is TBT (and the 40 year Anniversary). FWIW I think it was part of Freshman hazing that they'd never get the freshmen's names correct. Found this clip from the playoffs in the same box as the others .... at least the S. R. got it correct.

58 saves...would've made ESPN's Top 10...alas, ESPN was not yet on the scene. Given their scramble for programming in the early years, Zag hockey would've been great filler for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X