• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe this is the story that you say maynard

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-w...tough-choices/

Comment

Originally posted by krozman View Post
      Ya but when Tommy Lloyd visits a recruit he shows the Rocky IV montage of Stallone training in the cold siberian wastelands and he turns to the kid and says "This is Spokane."
      <snort> Now I have coffee lodged in my keyboard.
      There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
      Surfmonkey89

Comment

Originally posted by krozman View Post
        Ya but when Tommy Lloyd visits a recruit he shows the Rocky IV montage of Stallone training in the cold siberian wastelands and he turns to the kid and says "This is Spokane."
        If that were remotely true, USD would be a Goliath in the WCC. Even with a terrific facility, how’s that working out? SD blows Tucson weather away. Today, it’s 73, blue sky, dry. Sly may be walking on the beach, for all I know.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
          If that were remotely true, USD would be a Goliath in the WCC. Even with a terrific facility, how’s that working out? SD blows Tucson weather away. Today, it’s 73, blue sky, dry. Sly may be walking on the beach, for all I know.
          Thank you for making that point!

All the comments about the weather and that kind of thing including the Pac 12 versus and WCC seem to be all out of proportion. Certainly there’s something there but if you’re a serious basketball player, one with intelligence and maturity, which is the kind of player the zags look for, are you going to turn down Spokane because somebody has nicer weather? If we can get Suggs and we can get Chet and we can get all our five stars I think that pretty much shows that those factors are not gonna hold us back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think there is far less negative recruiting than a lot of people think. I’m sure Few, Lloyd, and a majority of coaches are selling their school and there plan, not bad-mouthing some other program. In all the interviews I’ve read from recruits they always talk about their relationship with the coaches, the plan they have for their development, culture, family, those kind of things. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but I would think a high schooler now and then would let something slip in an interview if it happened a bunch. And I agree if kids are wooed by weather and girls over development and winning they’re probably not a fit at GU anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by bdmiller7 View Post
              I think there is far less negative recruiting than a lot of people think. I’m sure Few, Lloyd, and a majority of coaches are selling their school and there plan, not bad-mouthing some other program. In all the interviews I’ve read from recruits they always talk about their relationship with the coaches, the plan they have for their development, culture, family, those kind of things. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but I would think a high schooler now and then would let something slip in an interview if it happened a bunch. And I agree if kids are wooed by weather and girls over development and winning they’re probably not a fit at GU anyway.
              You are kidding right ? Either you are kidding or you are the most naive person anywhere. I can't believe that you would think there is not much negative recruiting in college basketball. So you can't believe that coaches don't knock gonzaga because they play in the WCC ? You don't believe other coaches knock Gonzaga saying they are not a big time program ? You don't think other coaches tell recruits that if you go to Gonzaga, you won't be on tv as much as acc or big 10 or sec teams, ot big 12 teams ? If you don't believe other coaches don't run down Gonzaga or any other school from a small conference, then I don't know what to tell you other than you are the most Naive basketball fan on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
                You are kidding right ? Either you are kidding or you are the most naive person anywhere. I can't believe that you would think there is not much negative recruiting in college basketball. So you can't believe that coaches don't knock gonzaga because they play in the WCC ? You don't believe other coaches knock Gonzaga saying they are not a big time program ? You don't think other coaches tell recruits that if you go to Gonzaga, you won't be on tv as much as acc or big 10 or sec teams, ot big 12 teams ? If you don't believe other coaches don't run down Gonzaga or any other school from a small conference, then I don't know what to tell you other than you are the most Naive basketball fan on the planet.
                Reread his/her post. “Far less negative recruiting than lot people think” does not equate to NO negative recruiting
                Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Comment

Originally posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
                  Believe what you want. Don’t see Few doing that or Lloyd, but I’m sure every major conference team spends all their time talking bad about GU and the WCC. Good thing enough recruits can see through the crap to get GU to a couple national championships.

I went through recruiting and had many friends that went through recruiting in several sports. Nobody ever told me or them that I know of why not to go to another school, they just talked about their own program. Not saying it doesn’t happen, but I doubt many coaches waste time telling kids they can’t get where they want by going to GU, there is too much proof to the contrary.

Comment

Recruiting is extremely important and GU has been able to step-up its ability to sign really good 4* and 5* recruits in the past couple of years. To become a juggxrnaught in D1 basketball, schools must be able to sustain the signing of these excellent players - we have four 5* recruits in the past two years; however, this doesn't mean "we have made it..." but rather those four kids saw the light and signed with GU. Now, we need to see if GU can sign ANY of the 5*'s we are currently recruiting. So far not a one has signed with GU to date and yes, there is still time to for the remaining targets to chose GU.

AZ has always been able to sign 5* recruits, regardless of who is their coach. I expect that GU will sign the occasional 5* recruit but not at the level of success that AZ has reached. I asked this question before but no one answered: "Has GU ever "won" a recruiting battle for the same recruit that UA wanted?" It would be interesting to see these numbers...

FYI - When I win the PB lotto, I am moving to San Diego not Phoenix or Tuscon or Spokane, because San Diego has the best weather in North America and I can play golf year round and won't need anything heavier than a light jacket AND Del Mar is just a few minutes north...so do not think weather is the number one reason recruits chose to sign with schools...it has to do with the programs history of success...imo

Comment

Originally posted by bdmiller7 View Post
                      Believe what you want. Don’t see Few doing that or Lloyd, but I’m sure every major conference team spends all their time talking bad about GU and the WCC. Good thing enough recruits can see through the crap to get GU to a couple national championships.

I went through recruiting and had many friends that went through recruiting in several sports. Nobody ever told me or them that I know of why not to go to another school, they just talked about their own program. Not saying it doesn’t happen, but I doubt many coaches waste time telling kids they can’t get where they want by going to GU, there is too much proof to the contrary.
                      I definitely agree that coaches don’t spend time talking down Gonzaga like some on here think. They might point out differences, but you are selling your program, not trashing someone else’s. And there really isn’t much to trash with Gonzaga, pretty much only the weak conference or that they’re so loaded you might not get early playing time.

Oklahoma State’s only pitch for Anthony Black is to come be our best player. If you go to Gonzaga, you have a crowded backcourt and who knows how many minutes you play. That is on some level a compliment!

I don’t think the WCC is the place to sign 5 stars. But we will get a few because how great our program is, hopefully continuing with Black in 2022.

Comment

Cook is headed to campus THIS WEEKEND for an official visit. Senior night plus Killian Tillie, Corey Kispert, Jalen Suggs. Anybody else??

https://twitter.com/marquiscookk/sta...35720908410886

Comment

Originally posted by scrooner View Post
                          Cook is headed to campus THIS WEEKEND for an official visit. Senior night plus Killian Tillie, Corey Kispert, Jalen Suggs. Anybody else??

https://twitter.com/marquiscookk/sta...35720908410886
                          Pretty cool to have recent Zags now balling in the NBA meet the recruits and their families. Can they bankroll some NIL offers too if they want? :-)
                          Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

Mookie's dad appeared to be REALLY into the game. Easy to pick him out on TV in that sweet tracksuit.

Comment

Mookie's dad flexing after Bolton sliced through the D for a layup.

Comment

Mookie’s dad was incredible to watch.

Comment

Working...
                                X