Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kyle to Wazzu

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Thank you for posting this! I was not familiar with her story.

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
      I'll need a moment.....
      But we don't play nobody.

      Comment


      • #78
        John Blanchette weighs in on the Smith hiring in this column: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...ing-of-kyle-s/

        Let’s state that a bit more directly: This marriage is a bigger risk for Smith than it is for Wazzu.

        If his stay at the University of San Francisco had continued on its current arc, Smith would have been wooed and won by someone eventually. There is no suggestion here that he was at a career crossroads or that the Cougs were his last exit to Majorville – though, yes, 49 can be an itchy age when presented with an opportunity.

        But, of course, fans are forever convinced that their school is the one taking the gamble, and rarely can bring themselves to unequivocally signal home run.
        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

        “They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

        Comment


        • #79
          USF assistant (and former St. Mary’s player) Todd Golden confirmed as new USF head coach.

          https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfc...g-13721959.php

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by sideshow06 View Post
            USF assistant (and former St. Mary’s player) Todd Golden confirmed as new USF head coach.

            https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfc...g-13721959.php
            Most interesting thing in that article was Smith is the first coach to leave a WCC school for a different head coaching job since 2001, everyone else retired or was fired.

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by rawkmandale View Post
              Thank you for posting this! I was not familiar with her story.
              She was a pioneer in the women movement(s) ….. with style and grace she revolutionized the club entertainment scene....

              As you can imagine..... she had a very difficult time maintaining her balance....had to walk leaning backwards ….and unfortunately walking to work one day...she slipped on some human feces left by a homeless person...... and fell to her death...….. where little cable cars climb halfway to the stars...

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by bdmiller7 View Post
                Most interesting thing in that article was Smith is the first coach to leave a WCC school for a different head coaching job since 2001, everyone else retired or was fired.
                Or was actually good and stayed... as in Few and Bennett.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme
                  Apparently Kyle Smith was the third choice as Leon rice and Travis Dequire both turned down the job down. You know the PAC 12 is down when coaches are choosing to stay at Montana and Boise State over a PAC 12 school.
                  Yeah, the pac is down, but the thing about WSU is that it's the hardest place to win in the conference. They can't recruit with the conference's top programs; it is always an uphill battle there. And when they are on the verge of the occasional upset win v a potential tourney team, the refs make sure it doesn't happen. Near word for word quote from former UCLA star Marques Johnson a few years ago when doing commentary on a UCLA-WSU game in Pullman in one near upset: "UCLA the beneficiary of what I'll only describe as some curious calls".

                  They had the Huskies beat in Pullman this year, a loss that would have probably taken UW off the bubble, and lost 72-70 when every call went against them late.

                  So many built in disadvantages in that job; it's usually a coaching graveyard, with rare exceptions like the Bennetts. At Montana and Boise, you are on a level playing field w/ your conference. At WSU, finishing in the top half deserves coach of the year.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    IIRC the Bennett's game plan was to recruit a core of talented (but perhaps overlooked) HS Srs.

                    Dad gave them heavy minutes on the floor their 1st 2 years & got their brains beat out (one was a near 40 point blowout in the old Kennel).

                    Dad turns the reins over to Tony & a seasoned club makes 2 Sweet 16's (I think Rochestie transferred in there at some point).

                    Kyle has a 6 yr. contract, so perhaps he has leash enough to try something similar.
                    But we don't play nobody.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                      IIRC the Bennett's game plan was to recruit a core of talented (but perhaps overlooked) HS Srs.

                      Dad gave them heavy minutes on the floor their 1st 2 years & got their brains beat out (one was a near 40 point blowout in the old Kennel).

                      Dad turns the reins over to Tony & a seasoned club makes 2 Sweet 16's (I think Rochestie transferred in there at some point).

                      Kyle has a 6 yr. contract, so perhaps he has leash enough to try something similar.
                      I think they went 1-1 in the first tourney and made the Sweet 16 when Lowe, Weaver and Cowgill we’re Seniors. I did enjoy watching them destroy Notre Dame and Luke Harrangady? in the 4-5 matchup. Then they lost to UNC by about 20.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
                        How would you categorize the current Pepperdine coach?
                        I actually think Romar is gonna do well at Pepperdine. He and Bone built Washington together; they complement each other well imo, and Romar's troubles seemed to coincide w/ Bone's departure. I used to go to SPU games when Bone coached there. His teams were really fun to watch. The Oregon transfers were probably a bit overrated and w/ some injuries, but still top 100 recruits and should help at WCC level, and they have a terrific pg. Forgot about Romar when I posted; Sendek and the LMU guy (drawing a blank at the moment) were who came to mind.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
                          I actually think Romar is gonna do well at Pepperdine. He and Bone built Washington together; they complement each other well imo, and Romar's troubles seemed to coincide w/ Bone's departure. I used to go to SPU games when Bone coached there. His teams were really fun to watch. The Oregon transfers were probably a bit overrated and w/ some injuries, but still top 100 recruits and should help at WCC level, and they have a terrific pg. Forgot about Romar when I posted; Sendek and the LMU guy (drawing a blank at the moment) were who came to mind.
                          Yeah Romar and Bone had a good thing going for a while at UW. I thought it was possible a return to Pepperdine could work out well for LoRo. Too soon to make a judgement about that.

                          Herbie has been somewhat mediocre during his career but got teams to the Tourney semi regularly. Being mediocre in the WCC won't get you there.

                          Dunlap is the LMU coach. He's supposedly got a good reputation but I haven't really seen much out of him. He had a really good run at Metro St. apparently (D2 or D3?).

                          Pacific and Portland both went w/ splashy hires of former NBA players but neither are trending upward in 3 years so far.

                          I don't know, what can you do? Gonzaga owns the WCC. SMC is most likely gonna be #2 most years, and then you've got BYU. Everybody else is fighting among themselves to try to claw their way up in the standings.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
                            Yeah Romar and Bone had a good thing going for a while at UW. I thought it was possible a return to Pepperdine could work out well for LoRo. Too soon to make a judgement about that.

                            Herbie has been somewhat mediocre during his career but got teams to the Tourney semi regularly. Being mediocre in the WCC won't get you there.

                            Dunlap is the LMU coach. He's supposedly got a good reputation but I haven't really seen much out of him. He had a really good run at Metro St. apparently (D2 or D3?).

                            Pacific and Portland both went w/ splashy hires of former NBA players but neither are trending upward in 3 years so far.

                            I don't know, what can you do? Gonzaga owns the WCC. SMC is most likely gonna be #2 most years, and then you've got BYU. Everybody else is fighting among themselves to try to claw their way up in the standings.
                            If they can recruit just a few SoCal kids each year who would otherwise play in the Pac 12 or MWC to join Pepperdine and get more minutes, Romar and Pepperdine will be in excellent shape going forward.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X