General Science Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
    So, if there is a "program" that would indicate there is something outside the program. If you win the game, i.e. satisfy the program is the reward another program called heaven? And if you screw up inside the program is the resulting program hell?

I just don't think God interferes in everyday life like someone controlling a video game. I'd rather just converse with Him and have Him be my friend. I'm comfortable that He is the Creator and I get where you correlate that to a program but your version is way too cold for me.
    Well, it is fun to discuss, but I assure you, the way I envision it, there was nothing cold about it, ever lasting life?

Jesus talked a great deal about material things not mattering in the least - where do material things matter less than when one is a character walking through life? The soul, however, would be invaluable, as the only thing that is really "you".

But, fun to discuss.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Comment

• I recall hearing of a physicist who was able to reconcile quantum physics with classic physics by theorizing that the universe is a holographic projection.

It bears repeating that we are on the cusp of understanding things about our physical universe that are simply amazing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
      There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
      Surfmonkey89

Comment

• Originally posted by billyberu View Post
        I recall hearing of a physicist who was able to reconcile quantum physics with classic physics by theorizing that the universe is a holographic projection.

It bears repeating that we are on the cusp of understanding things about our physical universe that are simply amazing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
        Leonard Susskind is famous for being one of the first to find the holographic principle. That comes from marrying QM and General relativity around a black hole, and the information paradox.

I don't understand it. But I don't think he claimed to marry QM and Newtonian, it was more just a way of linking GR and QM in some ways.

The "theory of everything" that Einstein pursued, and everyone since, is the object of String Theory, which looks great in math, but has a real difficult time being proven. the LHC hasn't found super-symmetry, which is a big blow to string theorists.

Susskind is a great guy to listen to, Jewish New Yorker out in California, he was one of 3 co-inventors of String Theory, then he left it, solved the holographic principle, and is now into quantum computing at age 78.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
        Mark Twain.

Comment

• Awhile back I wrote of my young grandson's interest in chemical reactions. His working Volcano has produced three eruptions so far and the next stage is an accompanying earthquake. He's pretty meticulous about measuring the chemicals and mixing them at the optimum times to produce a lava flow.

He has that ongoing experiment and he has now built a cannon with rare earth magnets. There are five magnets equally spaced along a wooden half pipe. One end is the trigger and the other end shoots the cannon ball. There are nine steel balls used. Two each between magnets and on the business end. One is used at the trigger end. The trigger ball travels the half pipe to the first magnet and the collision propels the second ball after the first magnet to the second set. The sequence continues through the five magnets. Each collision speeds up the process until the last ball is fired out of the structure. He gets such a kick out of it and now we are exploring what kind of practical uses these magnets have. You can't believe the strength of these things. It takes a wooden stick to pry the steel balls loose to reset the cannon. There is a big warning to make sure no electronics are near this thing. Also a caution to not have any life forms in the way when it is activated. Pretty crazy.

Enjoy your kids. They will respond if you engage them.

Comment

Awhile back I wrote of my young grandson's interest in chemical reactions. His working Volcano has produced three eruptions so far and the next stage is an accompanying earthquake. He's pretty meticulous about measuring the chemicals and mixing them at the optimum times to produce a lava flow.

He has that ongoing experiment and he has now built a cannon with rare earth magnets. There are five magnets equally spaced along a wooden half pipe. One end is the trigger and the other end shoots the cannon ball. There are nine steel balls used. Two each between magnets and on the business end. One is used at the trigger end. The trigger ball travels the half pipe to the first magnet and the collision propels the second ball after the first magnet to the second set. The sequence continues through the five magnets. Each collision speeds up the process until the last ball is fired out of the structure. He gets such a kick out of it and now we are exploring what kind of practical uses these magnets have. You can't believe the strength of these things. It takes a wooden stick to pry the steel balls loose to reset the cannon. There is a big warning to make sure no electronics are near this thing. Also a caution to not have any life forms in the way when it is activated. Pretty crazy.

Earthquakes?

Exploding cannons?

Magnets?

Jeez, talking about "pretty crazy" or "pretty genius" is more like it.
            Mark Twain.

Comment

Awhile back I wrote of my young grandson's interest in chemical reactions. His working Volcano has produced three eruptions so far and the next stage is an accompanying earthquake. He's pretty meticulous about measuring the chemicals and mixing them at the optimum times to produce a lava flow.

Have you seen the Kiwi Crate subscription boxes? They have all different age levels and they look awesome (my son's friend gets them and she's shown us a few, they look really neat and worth the money, hopefully I can talk my in-laws into that as a present for the boys instead of toys!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
                Have you seen the Kiwi Crate subscription boxes? They have all different age levels and they look awesome (my son's friend gets them and she's shown us a few, they look really neat and worth the money, hopefully I can talk my in-laws into that as a present for the boys instead of toys!
                Haven't seen that. Just looked it up. Pretty cool.

I look for new things at a couple different places. There's a place in Carmel called Thinker Toys. Wonderful selection. National Geographic has some cool things online. I never pass when I see something that might stimulate the kid's mind. I have a couple things stashed away for him. Next is a solar powered robot kit that can be configured about a dozen ways. Found a chemistry kit (not a toy ) made in Germany that will require more than a little supervision from me and maybe something his mom and dad will be better off not knowing about. HaHa. My wife has given up on me. Every time she looks in the closet there's another box.

Whatever you find, do it together. They will be grown in a blink of an eye. My three grandkids are totally different personalities. The twelve year old is into baseball and basketball. I put up a batting cage in the back and pitch to him whenever he wants which is often enough that my shoulder is never 100%. Right now it's hoops. The nine year old is the science guy and reads constantly. And we have a five year old girl that is going to be the creative one. My wife takes her to dance class because she loves it. She also draws and things like kaleidescopes fascinate her.

I can't tell you how blessed we are to be able to do these things for them.

Here's hoping your in-laws see the value in something like the Kiwi Crates.

Comment

• https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/26/s...LWGHT1e_KUlPRs
                  Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• Tragic loss.

About 4-5 years after I graduated, a woman who had been a fellow biology major at GU died in a mountaineering accident on Rainier. I believe Dr. Prusch initiated a scholarship in her name.

I had actually listened to a few of her YouTube presentations, and did not know of the accident and her death.

What a woman, and what a life.
                    Mark Twain.

Comment

• Great article on the exact events coming right after the Dino asteroid impacted the Gulf of Mexico.

"Mile High Tsnami that likely reached Illinois? Illi - fi'mg Nois? You'd need to hide behind some Rocky Mountains to survive that!

Alas, just bc the wave didn't hit you didn't mean you weren't in trouble.

https://www.businessinsider.com/time...steroid-2019-9

Actually, if you really did want to survive something like this, you would want to live somewhere among the foothills of the Himilayas, in a big hole, with lots of food and seeds, and then be able to walk on down to near sea level in a year in the hope to grow much of anything given how much the earth cooled.
                      Mark Twain.

Comment

• Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                        Great article on the exact events coming right after the Dino asteroid impacted the Gulf of Mexico.

"Mile High Tsnami that likely reached Illinois? Illi - fi'mg Nois? You'd need to hide behind some Rocky Mountains to survive that!

Alas, just bc the wave didn't hit you didn't mean you weren't in trouble.

https://www.businessinsider.com/time...steroid-2019-9

Actually, if you really did want to survive something like this, you would want to live somewhere among the foothills of the Himilayas, in a big hole, with lots of food and seeds, and then be able to walk on down to near sea level in a year in the hope to grow much of anything given how much the earth cooled.
                        This is not at all how the dinosaur Viewmaster slides from my childhood played out

Comment

• It is National Engineers Week 9/15 - 9/22.....Engineering is the cornerstone of any society no mater how primitive or advanced....

Strictly speaking....Engineers are not Scientists ….Scientists study the natural world …..Engineers solve problems ….

But they might be close enough for a General Science Thread ...
                          Last edited by bartruff1; 09-17-2019, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                            It is National Engineers Week 9/15 - 9/22.....Engineering is the cornerstone of any society no mater how primitive or advanced....

Strictly speaking....Engineers are not Scientists ….Scientists study the natural world …..Engineers solve problems ….

Gotta love engineers. If it had been left up to me, we would still be without the wheel. Haha.

Comment

• Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                              It is National Engineers Week 9/15 - 9/22.....Engineering is the cornerstone of any society no mater how primitive or advanced....

Scientists discover the underlying scientific principles.

Engineers apply those scientific principles to use in society, yes, problems solvers, but not every type of problem.
                              Mark Twain.

Comment

• Someone is going to have to explain this to me, and the fact that this issue isn't one scintilla understood more today than in the 40s when there were first reports, is just highly suspicious and odd.

Cattle found dead/mutilated in eastern Oregon a month ago:https://www.opb.org/news/article/eas...tery-theories/

Hundreds of miles apart, four incidents.

Anderson said he had just been near the spot the night before. The next morning, his cow was laid over and dead, her udder removed with something razor-sharp.

“And not one drop of blood anywhere,” Anderson said.
                                Her son, a butcher at the time, inspected the slain animal. He couldn’t understand how the cuts were made so clean.

Davies said she and her husband rode strategic circles around the area with four-wheelers to try and find vehicle tracks, horse tracks, something. They never found any. And in this country, “everything you do leaves tracks,” Davies said.

These animals were found bloodless, with their tongues and genitals precisely removed.
                                Here is what I find most odd. This has been going on for near one-hundred years, how is it that there isn't a massive government operation to figure out what it is that is killing these animals?

Some say it is the government, but that doesn't explain the lack of tracks.

Some people see strange lights just prior, and no one follows up on it.

When you really have to study it, and listen to non-crazy people, you walk away entertaining some really weird theories, because none of the reasonable ones explain it, after 80 years, always the exact same way, always alive one day and found this way the next.

I want a scientific explanation, or an explanation as to why no scientific explanation has been reached.
                                Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                                X