• Show
Clear All

• Mispronounced words

https://centurylink.net/news/read/ar...ounced_word-ap

Where's Gunzawga?
    But we don't play nobody.

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Somewhere after " Dez Moh-Nez, Eye Oh- Wah"
    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

I am cheating.

I am not going with "mispronounced" just "misused"

Down south, when offering a suggestion, they say, "You might could go to McDonalds"

I have told my daughter to demand $10 cash from me if I ever say that and she has to take the garbage out if she ever does. (It's everywhere, hard to ignore)

I don't know how many times I have told her: "You might go to McDonalds, and you could go to McDonalds, but you cannot might/could go to McDonalds"

You hear extremely intelligent and extremely well-educated people say that down here.
      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
      Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by DZ View Post
        I am cheating.

I am not going with "mispronounced" just "misused"

Down south, when offering a suggestion, they say, "You might could go to McDonalds"

I have told my daughter to demand $10 cash from me if I ever say that and she has to take the garbage out if she ever does. (It's everywhere, hard to ignore)

I don't know how many times I have told her: "You might go to McDonalds, and you could go to McDonalds, but you cannot might/could go to McDonalds"

You hear extremely intelligent and extremely well-educated people say that down here.
        "might could" bothers me as well and that's coming from someone who's town pretty much prides itself on mispronounced and abridged words. Might could is redundant, we could shave a couple of seconds off that exchange.

It's fairly common for Pennsylvanians to say "Greezy" or use "greez" as the verb form for grease (ex. "Greez the pan before you pour in the cake batter."), but that's carried over from the German word which ending in a z and PA having a lot of German families early on in its settlement.

Comment

This town's name is commonly mispronounced by out of staters.

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
          - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
            This town's name is commonly mispronounced by out of staters.

I was going to post that one lol. I thought it might have originated from the period where the French had territory near there but I looked it up and was surprised to see it wasn't founded until the late 1800s so it probably isn't one of the many instances of us Western Pennsylvanians mispronouncing something :-)

Pittsburgh was originally meant to be pronounced like Edinburgh, Scotland when Forbes named it...but that didn't last.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
              I was going to post that one lol. I thought it might have originated from the period where the French had territory near there but I looked it up and was surprised to see it wasn't founded until the late 1800s so it probably isn't one of the many instances of us Western Pennsylvanians mispronouncing something :-)

Pittsburgh was originally meant to be pronounced like Edinburgh, Scotland when Forbes named it...but that didn't last.
              There are a lot of French names in Wyoming originating from French trappers.

When I was at grad school at U of Wyo they got a new university president with the last name of Dubois. He pronounced it the traditional French fashion, but could never get anyone to say that in Wyo. Everyone told him he pronounce his name wrong.

BTW, the town in Wyoming is pronounced 'Dewboys'.
              'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
              - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
                There are a lot of French names in Wyoming originating from French trappers.

When I was at grad school at U of Wyo they got a new university president with the last name of Dubois. He pronounced it the traditional French fashion, but could never get anyone to say that in Wyo. Everyone told him he pronounce his name wrong.

BTW, the town in Wyoming is pronounced 'Dewboys'.
                Ha! I didn't realize Wyoming had one pronounced that way too, I immediately thought it was in PA. We have a lot from the French and Indian War, both French and British military leader names for towns, streets, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
                  Ha! I didn't realize Wyoming had one pronounced that way too, I immediately thought it was in PA. We have a lot from the French and Indian War, both French and British military leader names for towns, streets, etc.
                  As small as Dubois, PA maybe, I have to think its population is greater than 971.
                  - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

Working...
                  X